Fast Ratio Manual Steering Box

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
i dont believe your looking for a box .want i think your looking for is the pitman arm for the box . it call fast ratio arm . dont no what your building but theres also rack an pinion out too food for thought .

There's actually a 16:1 manual box (3 1/2 turns lock to lock vs. the standard 5) that was used in Formula S Cuda's and some Dart GT's, probably some others as well. I used to have one, but I'll be damned if I can find it.

The longer pitman arm was original to the T/A E-bodies in 70. And then only on power boxes.

Early A-bodies had a 16:1 box as an option. Nobody makes a longer pitman arm for the early cars, and I doubt it would fit.

Flaming River makes new 16:1 manual boxes, but they are visually different from the Mopar box. They are also a bit spendy.

Steer and Gear has a 24:1 and a 20:1, but again the fast one costs an arm and a leg. I'd rather keep it manual, but am now considering power.

The modern alternative is the Mopar P4007612 20:1 replacement gear. I have replaced this into my A body manual steering and I like it. I just so happen to have an extra new one in the box and would ask $175. Think the new list price is about 275 and I've seen them advertised for $225. I also have extra manual boxes, and I would sell one to go along with the gear for $60.
PM me if any of this is of interest.
red

I have a new Flaming River 16/1 I bought before going to an AlterKation front end. I paid $399.00, it's now selling for $529.00. Yours for $400.00, you pay shipping from 80134.

Jim

004 resize.jpg

006 resize.jpg

Thanks for the replies

The modern alternative is the Mopar P4007612 20:1 replacement gear.

The 20:1 sounds interesting, but still may be a little slow. That's $175 for just the internal gear? Will it fit in any box? What else would I need to get?

I have a new Flaming River 16/1 I bought before going to an AlterKation front end. I paid $399.00, it's now selling for $529.00. Yours for $400.00, you pay shipping from 80134.

I'm still trying to find out if this will definitely work with my '63. FWIW, I did find them online for $429.

Have you driven a car with that ratio? Depending on the weight of the car you might not like it.

I am afraid of that too. My car is a 63 Valiant with no options so that is about as light as it gets, but I'm not looking for a workout while I'm driving.

Firm Feel in Vancouver, Washington has 16-1 and 20-1 boxes pretty cheap. I have a 20-1 in my Barracuda.

Firm feel lists one, but the price is N/A. I called twice and left messages, but no one has gotten back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back