fast ratio pitman arm?

-

needsaresto

Reaction score
What is the length of one as compared to a regular one?Is the measurement center to center?

What years of a bodies came with these and what would I ask for at the local parts store?

Im trying to determine if the pitman arm I got with my manual box is a fast ratio or not.

Do they make much difference and are they worth it?

I think the only cars that had a "fast Ratio" arm were the 1970 Barracuda AAR and the Challenger T/A. Even the early a-body Dart GT and Barracuda Formula S had the same standard arm with a manual fast ratio box. On the e-body cars they had standard manual steering boxes, the fast ratio arm on them is what made the difference! I think you can buy the fast ratio arms from Just Suspension to improve your stock box, not sure. The fast ratio arm would help! The fast ratio arm did have the words "fast ratio" stamped on them. Hope this helps!

No manual steering box ever had a longer fast ratio arm from the factory. Steering effort would be too much. Only the T/A or AAR E-bodies with power steering got them. Trouble is the idler arm was standard length, so at lock the Ackerman angle was an issue.

Call and talk with the Tech support line at Firm Feel. He'll answer any questions you have.

http://www.firmfeel.com/contact.htm

http://www.firmfeel.com/fastrati.htm

I am not 100% sure of this but here goes....Somewhere I read that the fast ratio arms (the longer ones) were "borrowed" from a C? (orB?) body. The master spline is cut in a different location so it would not be an easy bolt in swap as a little machining would be required. This might also explain why it was only the large sector shaft as used on bigger cars.

Last time I checked, when I was at wheel lock I really didnt care if the ackerman was off, LOL I was doing three mph.
If it really bothers you though, firm feel makes a longer idler arm now too.

Problem with fast ratio arms on A-bodies is there isn't much room for them. There are no known full length headers that fit them.

The high flow 340 type cast iron manifolds and spitfire headers are the only known exhaust to fit quick ratio power steering arm and A-bodies. The cast iron manifolds will still need some tight well thought out headpipes.

Or magnum manifolds like I have on my Valiant, they will clear anything, well except a z bar maybe, oh and power steering, but who needs those.

needsaresto, do your self a favor and swap to power steering. You get the fast ratio (16:1) for quick response and easy parking lot manuvering. I swapped from manual to power this past winter and it's been one of the most statisfing changes I have made to my car.

Cagman - Don't tell any of the drag race guys that we circle track race, we will be shunned. They can't seem to understand how much fun circle track racing is. I have done both...

Too late I already know. I have done all three, Drag, Road and Circle Track and Road Racing is the best, you get a piece Drag and Circle track in Road Racing. There are too many knuckle draggers at my local circle track so I left and went back to Drag Racing. Althought I still have a Sprint Car in my stables.

Chuck

Too late I already know. I have done all three, Drag, Road and Circle Track and Road Racing is the best, you get a piece Drag and Circle track in Road Racing. There are too many knuckle draggers at my local circle track so I left and went back to Drag Racing. Althought I still have a Sprint Car in my stables.

Chuck

Couldn't agree more....

-
Back