Fast Ratio Pitman Arm...

-
And, you can modify your PS box to be way less sensitive, by adding reaction discs, as many as you like, until you like the feel of it. Initially I added two to mine, but later in the week, I added more. I don't recall if it was two more or Just one.

The conversation is about manual steering, not power, but thank you.

I am about to put C-body manual steering gear box with the C-body Idler and pitman arms on my 66 Valiant. I have this combo on my power steering 70 dart and like it. Had the box rebuild firm as they go. Feels like rack and pinion.

I am about to put C-body manual steering gear box with the C-body Idler and pitman arms on my 66 Valiant. I have this combo on my power steering 70 dart and like it. Had the box rebuild firm as they go. Feels like rack and pinion.

What all is different?

I'm guessing the idler arm mounting is gonna be the problem on an early A, unless there's a C body that has the same type mount on the k frame. If @convx4 did this to his 70 Dart, the idler arm bolt goes thru a bracket, then the idler arm, then another bracket and gets nutted. The longer idler arm I used with the fast ratio arm on my Challenger was a simple bolt in deal, but like a 70 Dart, the idler arm has 2 brackets that the arm slides between and you pop the bolt in. Our early A k frames have that wonky single bracket idler arm mount, so it will be interesting to see how he gets it to work on his Valiant. I hope it does, and it's a bolt on deal.

:popcorn:

The C-body pitman arms and gearbox have larger splines than all the other cars. I believe that Chrysler did so they would be stronger for the bigger cars. Also so they could not be easily put on other car bodys. My plan is to modify the k member on the 66 to be like the 70 with a bracket. When I did the 70 I had to shorten the idlers metal bushing so it would fit into the bracket. I took equal amounts off each side.

Rusty, I may be off the beem here, but in our stock cars we shorten the steering arm to get a faster steering car, not lengthen it.

-
Back