Fast ratio pitman arm

-

70Duster340

Reaction score
Can someone tell me what the difference is between the stock pitman arm and the fast ratio pitman arm? I can't seem to locate a good pic of either one to make a comparison.
Also, what models were the fast ratio ones used?

The fast ratio arm is longer. It was used on the AAR Cudas and TA Challengers- curiously, with a standard length idler arm, which caused some wonky geometry changes as it cycled through it's arc.
Repro fast ratio arms are offered with a complimentary length idler arm to correct this.
Think twice about using them on an A body, they bring on header clearance issues. It's been done, but it takes more than a few dings in the tubes in most instances.

The fast ratio is a different length.
That way ( just numbers I made up) 10 degrees of rotation moves the
draglink 1.25 inches vs stock moving it 1 inch.

You also increase the amount of force you have to apply to the steering wheel.

You have to change the idler to match or your steering geometry will be off.

So if it's an issue of length, do any other pitman arms from another Mopar that is longer than the A body one work?

As for headers, I'm running stock hi-po manifolds from a 69 340.

Curiosity...

Why do you want to change the ratio.

Do you have power steering?

PST sells a 20:1 and a 16:1 new manual box for under $300 and give members a 10% discount.

Yeah, the box ratio is the real solution. The "fast ratio" pitman arm was a boondoggle.

For good feel, steering should be pretty dead in the middle, so that you do not have to contsantly correct course to stay in a striaght line. Ideally the speed of turn should get greater towards the locks. This setup provides a rock steady drive on the freeway and the ability to take the twists with minimal wheel twirling. its a varibale rate rack and pinion set up that provides this, and we don't have easy access to that technology without a new front end set up.

This doesn't really happen with a steady rate steering box.
you have the dead point in the middle. and its deadness is assisted by the idler bush in none twisted state, and the fact that the steering gear is naturally stiff in the middle poistion. (we have no steering damper on a mopar)

there is some tiny variation in rate of turn of road wheel as the pitman arm turns, because the cross link is being driven by a stud in the end of the pitman arm that scribes an arc, but it doesn't help in this situation, its kinda the reverse of what you need.
standard pitman arm length was a compromise.

if you extend the pitman arm you push the situation further from ideal because the same degrees of steering wheel turning, produces a bigger ark at the end of the arm. the wheels turn further for the same action.
This makes the dead spot in the middle, smaller by the same ratio that you extended the pitman arm. i.e you have your faster ratio but its biased to the just off the straight section of the steering where you don't want it, if you drive on the street/freeway/drag strip.
It is therefore harder to go dead striaght, its easier to via widely off course at speed BUT it is a little easier to pick your line as you go round corners

long pitman arms were for circle track/ bowl racing... what is good in that situation is not necessarily good on the road

for the race application, the steering is in the straight ahead position for very little of the time, becasue the track is made up of 50% banked corner and on the straights you are driving on a massive camber.

if you have 24:1 manual the best and actually quite simple upgrade is to pull that box apart freshen the bearings and seals and put in a 20:1 or 16:1
20:1 on heavy car with fat front tyres and or odd offset
16:1 on lighter car with thinner fronts. i. run 205 70 r14 and have no problem with 16:1

the amount of turn at the steering wheel is reduced but you have not messed with the length of the pitman arm so you still get the same amount of dead in the middle in respect to the distance the end of the pitamn arm moves before you are obviously In a turn.
hence freeway drving will be more relaxed, you won't need to correct your trajectory as much and it will be easier to manage any tram lining if the road is ridged.

You are not, for want of a better example, balancing a plate on the end of a stick, you are sitting it on the salt seller... its still a blancing act but its much easier.

and you are talking 3.5 turns lock to lock rather than 4 or 5 which is really quite nice

nothing wrong with steering box, jeep BMW and a few others persisted with them into this centuary.

Dave

There's a wealth of information! Thanks for your reply. The last time I checked the gears weren't available. Has this changed?

Thanks

There's a wealth of information! Thanks for your reply. The last time I checked the gears weren't available. Has this changed?

Thanks

They sell complete aluminum repro manual 16:1 boxes. $395 from PST. All new, bolt in.

Standard ratio length pitman are are pretty close to HiPo manifolds. Any longer pitman will need custom headpipe and possible milling of the manifold at the head to change the location of the header flange. The custom headpipe will need a quick turn and pinch flow.

Cost to do all that will be more than $395 if you are paying someone else. Even the cost of milling the manifold at an angle would be $60-$100 to start. Custom head pipe will be 2-3 hours to start from good exhaust shop. So there's $160+

I'm using the TTI exhaust system for manifolds. Paid lots of $$$ for that system, so I don't intend to be dinging it up. Thanks for the info.

I'm using the TTI exhaust system for manifolds. Paid lots of $$$ for that system, so I don't intend to be dinging it up. Thanks for the info.

Then a longer pitman is out of the question.

Your options are different steering box ratios.

-
Back