Fastback gas tank removal

-

ElFin

Reaction score
I've tried a couple of times to remove the gas tank from my 67 Barracuda fastback, without any success. On my convertible, you can access the place where the filler tube goes through the trunk floor, and unscrew the rubber gasket that holds it in place. In the fastback, there is the back platform in the way. It looks like even if I remove the back carpeting, I won't be able to get at the gasket. Have any of you ever had to do this job?:???:

yor rite there -- the metal floor plate needs to be removed to access the screws - to free up the gasket-= all srews / bolts or you will bend the sheet metal and wont lay back flat - - FYI - i wasnt able to install =fish the philler tube BACK into position from ABOVE when re-installing it - -UNTILLl the REAR window was removed - giving the job a simple drop in from above with - gasket on tube then simple twist ing the bend to clear the trunk body brace == i doubt if it will go back in from below as you need pass the cap end of tube thru the -gasket while its inside the body cavity-- - even so my money bets you will scratch hell outta any finish you do on the tube and/ or rip the new gasket all 2 hell doin so- -just one " U wanna know trik-" eee - re-install - challenge "- i found - thankz

I have a 67 Fastback.

All that has to be done is drain the tank, remove the straps, push the tank towards the passenger side tire.... with your feet if necessary. That's is all it is to it.

I have removed my tank numerous times by myself. Hit me back if you still have any troubles.

Hmm, two different experiences. I like your answer better, Mullinax95, but I don't doubt that 69cudanutz had as tough a time as he says. I guess I'll try it the easy way first, and if that doesn't work, pull the back window and platform. I need to re-gasket the back window anyway, so it would be killing two birds with one stone. I'll report back on how it turns out. Waiting for the driveway to melt before tackling the job, but it's on the list. Thanks for sharing your stories.

Hmm, two different experiences. I like your answer better, Mullinax95, but I don't doubt that 69cudanutz had as tough a time as he says. I guess I'll try it the easy way first, and if that doesn't work, pull the back window and platform. I need to re-gasket the back window anyway, so it would be killing two birds with one stone. I'll report back on how it turns out. Waiting for the driveway to melt before tackling the job, but it's on the list. Thanks for sharing your stories.

OK........ I shouldn't have said straps as in plural. I have only one strap! I really don't see how that would make difference anyways.

I'm having a hard time understanding how 69cuda dropped the tank filler from the top. There is metal all the way across even if you do remove the metal floor plate unless it had already been cut out.

I dropped the tank, half full, out of my notch back yesterday. I didn't have any trouble. Even left the filler neck in. Just unhook the wire and gas line, drop the strap and remove tank.

Personally, I thought this was one of the easier resto projects on my whole car. Unbolt the straps (2 on my '68 FB), unhook the sender, push it to the side and out it drops. Mine had about 8 gallons of 15-year old purple lacquer in it ... I still remember that smell yukkkkkkkk!

Best of luck with yours!

Makes sense to me.

Unhook connections, remove straps, wiggle tank from filler tube, and out it comes.

Seems everyone wants to do things differently. Whos to say whats best.
I remove the 3 screws that attach filler tube to quarter panel. Then I lube the tube and floor seal with wd-40 so the tube will slide through that seal. Makes fighting the tube to tank seal under the car easier for me.

My comment jumped forward -re gas tank floor gasket access - - sorry... i was referring 2 REPLACING the filler tube on a FB once the tank is removed witch as sum have stated and agree here -A simple chore - just get the car up high enuff - -Redfish must have had the car on the front bumper -extracting tank with tube attached - even so i cant imagine - passing the FB BENT TUBE pipe thru the body brace maze without serious - damage 2 either philler pipe or your back -Notch and Convertable - are straight pipes and even easier - tucking the tank back in can b done with the tube in place - - alil grease helps on the inside of rubber tank seal - rocking back and forth - pushing at same time - wiggles it into place - sound erotic eh? dont forget your insul- mat between tank and body - - like the nut & bolt- diagram -joke - not without a washer - tankz

I didn't mean the whole works would come out together. I just lowered the tube to get a few more inches of it beneath the car.

Thanks for the great responses. I guess I just didn't kick it hard enough last time!8) I might loosen the filler tube to get a little more play. Sounds like it can be done, which is nice to know. My reason for doing it is to replace the rubber grommet that seals the tube in the tank.

-
Back