Fastest/Best way to strip paint

-

JGC403

Reaction score
The only thing I have experience with is a sandblasting. I have sandblasted the entire body and frame of an '85 Ram and haven't had a problem with warping the metal. I know they say that sandblasting isn't good for you and could warp the metal.

So what are people using to strip their cars? I like that sandblasting would take off paint and rust. I know soda blasting only takes paint off.

Aircraft Stripper. That's what I used on my Duster. Make sure you wear gloves and eye protection and use in a well ventilated area.

Aircraft Stripper. That's what I used on my Duster. Make sure you wear gloves and eye protection and use in a well ventilated area.

Yup yup I love that stuff I just spent 20 min yesterday slopping on some stripper onto my dads duster let it sit and most can be wiped away, just make sure you have a bottle of water lying around when some of it hits ur arms its a uncomfy tingle feeling hahaha

Chemical stripper is OK for a small section of a car like a fender or something. But I don't think it would be the best to use on a whole car.

Can any kind of media blasting warp the metal, or just sand?

What would you use to take rust off?

chemical stripper can be use anywhere on the car, just make sure you get it all off and get a coat of primer down, there are a ton of chemical agents on the market that neutralize rust, some in rattle cans and others in a little plastic jar. either way it smells like eggs.

I always use 8" velcro Norton blue stripper 80 grit on a varible speed buffer. It rips it right off.

I will probably give the abrasive wheels a try. Don't really care to use chemicals they make more of a mess than sandblasting.

After the paint is off and if there is plastic body filler how do you get that out?

I don't want to just neutralize rust I want to completely remove it. Looks like sandblasting is still the best for heavy rust?

aircraft stripper is bad ****, you have to neutralize it before you can continue and even then it will keep eating away at everything. media blasting is how we do everything at the resto shop. there are all sorts of different medias for different applications. Sand will warp stuff it creates too much friction, your local blaster should have a plastic based media that will work, or walnut shells.

they look like the one on the left in Purple's attachment. Like scouring pad. Let me warn you; one split second, while changing hands on a 10,000 rpm grinder; I now know what knuckle cartilage looks like.

! use 8" 80 grit on as much of the outer body as possible and move around a lot attacking the worst of it first then coming back to diffrent spots to make sure it dosent get heated up,i can strip the outer body of a complete car in an afternoon and spend about 15$ on disks and no chemicals to neautralize, then when I dissassemble the car the rest of the way I do the same with the insides of the parts and finish up with sandblasting the areas that are hard to reach,this has worked well for me over the years and seems to be cost effective for me,for heavy bondo areas switch to 36 or 40 grit on the 8 " variable speed

-
Back