Fastest street legal/driven car on FABO?

-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue87D100

Reaction score
Anyone know what the fastest car on FABO is that is street legal,and actually street driven?

how did i know LOL. this should prove interesting. i can tell you now, its not mine either. does this include members of FABO that own imports and brand X ? or is this for mopars?

"Street legal" has always been a somewhat troubling term for me. Just what IS street legal? Just because you can sneak plates on something does not mean it is "legal."

One example are the plexiglass side windows used on some of the drag only cars, with seatbelt actuators. NO WAY is plexiglass legal for the street.

Another example is if you are in a state or area that requires either or both underhood and tailpipe emissions checks. Just about ANY engine modification is illegal in that case, and to get picky, ANY car that was made for the 68 or later model year Federally STILL TO THIS DAY "must" under Federal law meet the emissions equipment specs for the year of manufacture. It's simply that the Feds don't actively enforce these laws on individuals.

Then there's exhaust. "Back then" in the 70's some locale was implementing specific sound levels for automotive exhaust. One of the magazines did a write up, and discovered that certain FACTORY STOCK performance cars would not pass out of the box!!

So I doubt some of these guys with 600 hp RBs and 3" exhaust can plan on passing either emissions or noise ordnances anytime soon.

Last, something which (thank you) seems to have gone out of style is the crazy jacked up rigs with rear tires sticking out the fenders by inches of tread. That CERTAINLY is a violation.

Of course if you have a 66 or 67 that wasn't made or sold for California, or a car model year earlier than those, even in CA, you never HAD any smog equipment except for PCV valve.

I like the drag week cars that go have to drive their cars 1200 miles to 5 tracks in 5 days.. no trailering or towing the car... to me that would be considered street legal. Some of those cars run 7 sec.. wow.. A few of those members are on yellowbullet but I don't think any of them are on this site.. Wait until this summer when a few of the fabo members finish their builds.

67Dart273 makes some good points here.
In PA you don't have any kind of emissions inspection for pre '78 vehicles.
That said you still have your safety inspection... And sure, plenty of fast or quick cars can pass.
What I'd like to see is, the truly fast cars that can really be driven,anytime,anywhere...and their times.
There are plenty of ten second cars that can be driven on the road, but how many will drive you nuts in 15 minutes (think 4.30 and lower gears) trying to go somewhere.
Let's hear real times of cars that can stand in bumper to bumper traffic for an hour at 100+ degrees, drive comfortably at 70mph, and be fun at the drags.
(mine does all that, though it's not going to be the winner here...)

This is for mopar drivers only, slant six's to any size of V8. Here are the rules for street legal:

**brief list of rules**

1. slicks allowed, skinnies allowed.

2. race fuel allowed.

3. standalone/aftermarket fuel sytem allowed. NO fuel cells allowed.

4. NO wheelie bars.

5. full glass, no lexan or fiberglass hatches.

6. full original body, no cutting what so ever. carbon fiber front fenders and hood allowed. fiberglass hood allowed.

7. full dash, one front seat, door panels and carpet must be retained. must appear basically stock on the inside.

8. exhaust optional.

Why woud fuel cell not be allowed but the type of slicks are?

Why woud fuel cell not be allowed but the type of slicks are?

I am trying to see if any car on here can best 9.87 @ 150 following these exact rules,which the above car(88 honda CRX) had to follow to be considered fastest street driven honda in North America.

In a thread in the slant six section called "slant six or the 318", among the tattered two sided argument,I was trying to make a point by "I know guys who drive 90's honda economy cars with 1.8 4 cyl motors that will smoke every slant six or street driven V8 on this site,and still get 30 mpg on the highway" Not trying to say that hondas are better than mopars,but saying their is always something faster out there,and it isnt always running a bigger engine.

I was told I was "delusional" to think that because this site has over 22,000 members. So I am curious to see what guys who actually drive their mopars on the street run in the 1/4.

http://www.importtuner.com/features/0701_impp_drag_1994_honda_civic_hatchback_si/viewall.html

9 & 10 second street legal fwd cars currently racing:
1. Jason Hunt 88 crx 9.87 @ 150
2. Brian Fischer 95 civic hatch 9.97 @ 148
3. jason hunt 97 civic coupe 10.25 @ 147
4. Charles Walker 96 integra 10.2 @ 147
5. Frank SFP 99 civic coupe 10.36 @ 144
6. mike murphy civic hatch 10.41 @ 139
7. Shad sawyer 92 civic hatch 10.44 @ 144
8. kevin inge 92 civic hatch 10.4 @ 140
9. Courtney civic hatch 10.47 @
10. Brian Ballard crx 10.50 @ 142
11. shorty watkins civic hatch 10.61 @ 142
12. tim burhans civic hatch 10.63 @
13. Josh Elam 93 civic hatch 10.64 @ 137
14. Bill Willoughby 92 Civic hatch 10.66 @ 133
15. joe taylor 92 civic hatch 10.6 @
16. rob mckellar 90 talon(fwd) 10.6 @ 140
17. jose rodriguez 92 civic hatch 10.69@139
18. marc samaniego crx 10.71 @ 127
19. tony werdehausen 96 civic hatch 10.79 @ 138
20. jose rodriguez 96 civic hatch 10.84@135
21. matt patrick (zexman) crx 10.85 @ 135
22. alex jimenez 92 civic hatch 10.88 @ 136
23. Allen Sturgeon civic hatch 10.89 @ 132
24. al krupp 93 civic hatch 10.9 @ 134

Street legal is simple. Tagged and insured. PERIOD.

I am trying to see if any car on here can best 9.87 @ 150 following these exact rules,which the above car(88 honda CRX) had to follow to be considered fastest street driven honda in North America.

In a thread in the slant six section called "slant six or the 318", among the tattered two sided argument,I was trying to make a point by "I know guys who drive 90's honda economy cars with 1.8 4 cyl motors that will smoke every slant six or street driven V8 on this site,and still get 30 mpg on the highway" Not trying to say that hondas are better than mopars,but saying their is always something faster out there,and it isnt always running a bigger engine.

I was told I was "delusional" to think that because this site has over 22,000 members. So I am curious to see what guys who actually drive their mopars on the street run in the 1/4.

I have been to an import event at Englishtown N.J. I have seen all sorts of very fast four cylinder cars there, very impressive! Imagine driving your hemi Dart on the road to meet up to that Honda you mentioned to only have your *** handed to you in embarrassment. There is always someone faster.

I own a fast four banger myself. It isn't in the tens, yet, but that is a matter of tuning. Best so far is an 11.54 @ 122 mph. The car meets all the "rules" implied A few posts ago. All that in an Omni.

Street legal is simple. Tagged and insured. PERIOD.

Ya, until you get stopped by "just the right" cop.

Been there, done that. In the 70's, when I was stationed at Miramar, I got caught in TWO roadside checks with my 70 RR

(Pinch your nose, high whiney voice)

They didn't like the aircraft landing lights, 4537s

(After all these years------"Sir," said the CHP, "you have aircraft landing lights installed in your high beams. You are going to have to remove them.")

They didn't like the big rectangular Mallory coil, emissions equipment

They didn't like the vacuum unhooked on the distributor

They didn't like the headers ( I swear, 6 paks didn't have heat risers?)

They didn't like the Edelbrock, or the Holley 800 DP, even though both companies CLAIMED their products were "approved by CARB" (California Air Resources Board)

They didn't like a hell of a lot of stuff, and wrote it all down. Even though I proved the car never had it (Oregon car) they wrote me up for having no evaporative vent system

And they wrote me up for "no snorkel heat" even though sixpack cars didn't have THAT

And just to make sure I rounded out the perfect day, "we'd" been up to Carlsbad Sat. night, and I'd removed the exhaust and replaced it with a pair of old glass packs hung onto the headers.

ILLEGAL--no tail pipes, excessive noise,

AND just to finish things off, it turns out that the license plate light did not work, and so they wrote me up for THAT, too.

Somewhere, I still HAVE that ticket--in plastic. If I can find it, I'll post it.

Slicks
Race fuel
One front seat
Exhaust optional? Meaning open headers ok?(oops, I forgot that header dumps into a big turbo...)
No offense but, doesn't exactly sound like real streetable.

My buddies 2009 SRT Jeep with a 426 stroker and twin turbos goes 9.40's and he drives it every single day.. he drove it from Nc to OH raced and drove home.. it's a beast @ over 5000lbs.

My buddies 2009 SRT Jeep with a 426 stroker and twin turbos goes 9.40's and he drives it every single day.. he drove it from Nc to OH raced and drove home.. it's a beast @ over 5000lbs.

Is he a member here? If so,time slips please.

Sounds like a beast:burnout:

Slicks
Race fuel
One front seat
Exhaust optional? Meaning open headers ok?(oops, I forgot that header dumps into a big turbo...)
No offense but, doesn't exactly sound like real streetable.

No offence taken,these are track rules for what is defined as a street car. Of coarse for the street you need to follow all local laws,but once you are at the strip you need only to follow the above rules.

When did they make slicks street legal? LOL

Read "No offence taken,these are track rules for what is defined as a street car. Of coarse for the street you need to follow all local laws,but once you are at the strip you need only to follow the above rules."

But, they do make DOT approved slicks.

every one has different ideas of street cars, its really what ever the owner is comfortable with driving on the highway and if the local laws will let them be tagged and insured, until someone makes a true streetable list options are endless. to me a full body car, no lexan, all factory interior intacted, factory type suspension, no fiberglass, no cube limit, no tubing, everything works, pull in pump fill up and run what you brung, just my opinion though:D

Well, you know you can disqualify anything you want and come out the winner in your own arguement. Tagged and insured should be the end of it. Some of those rice rockets shouldn't be on the street anymore than anything else. You can box it up and package it however you want, but if the car is driven on the street regularly enough to be tagged and insured, there's your street car, like it or not.

Hell,in the y2k era,we did tech inspections at the street digs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back