Father-Son 1974 Duster Project

-
Have you done anything on the suspension? I'd be sure that's good to go. Then the lines. front right brake line, fuel and joining 2 pieces of vent line will be easier with an empty bay.

Have you done anything on the suspension? I'd be sure that's good to go. Then the lines. front right brake line, fuel and joining 2 pieces of vent line will be easier with an empty bay.

The front end is all really tight and shakes out well. It looks like it was all replaced when the car last ran. thanks for the good advice:prayer:

Definitely good advice , get as much done underneath and in the bay done before you put your engine in ... I know that would be a milestone for you but it would complicate things... Back in post #106 you said you wanted to remove and detail your lines , Sounds like a good time to tackle that , get all those inspected ,detailed and reinstall then bleed the brakes (I like the gravity method and it's not like your in a hurry)then clean/ plumb your fuel system replacing all the soft lines with ethanol resistant tubing , I just had to do this on my '64 Riviera ...all the soft lines were turning to goo. What is the status of your engine , did you get the hardware you needed to install the flexplate? Are you going to install engine and tranny as a unit from the top?

We have since removed all lines after initially thinking we would clean and re use them.
The gas tank is clean and will be re used. Planning on buying exact fit (hopefully) lines.
Our motor is near complete needing only exhaust manifolds and distributor. Looks like we're going to use center dump 360 truck manifolds and an HEI type dizzy. The flex plate and bolts I have are right and another member gave me the specs for the bolts needed to bolt trans to engine.
We're going to put them in the car as a unit, from the top.....

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

I wouldn't be in too much of a hurry to work around that fresh paint. Have you talked to the painter about cure time? How soon, and with what, can you cover the fenders (particularly if you get any kind of guaranty on the finish)? Current temps are not going to help either. How hot can you get your garage? Been a long time since I had anything painted, but I recall paint being soft for months. I would imagine today's finishes are better, but still...

Not in a rush at all. In fact she still isn't primed yet so I'm thinking she won't be home till the middle of December. Take the holidays into account we won't be wrenching till January. So we'll put her up on jack stands install the tank and fuel and brake lines first. Back in the day I took the 318/904 out and in of my 69 barracuda with the hood on, radiator out and front end up on jackstands

probably a good call on the new lines ... curious why you want to use the HEI distributor ... unless you've already got it or can get one cheap ... I would use a stock Mopar electronic setup ... I like them , but's thats just my opinion . I had a 340 years ago and I let somebody talk me into "upgrading" to an aftermarket dizzy and ignition . That was a waste of time , money and energy .

My reasoning is all I have are the stock harnesses less any ignition components. I don't have any battery/ starter cables either so I need to replace or replicate all that stuff. This gives me the chance to make the bay super clean. The HEI dizzy I'm looking at is $65 all in no coil no box no nuthin. Supposed to be reliable..

It's pretty remarkable that we have been able to disassemble and reassemble our project so far with these hand tools, a hammer, a grinder, a 3/8" drill and a Harbor Freight welder....
But I have the feeling that investing in a few more tools could be in our future...

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 591
Ha! I'm now a welding S.O.B
After thinking it over, I'll get her back together ok with my rudimentary tools. I also have used a 12" x 3/4 black pipe nipple as a breaker bar over the ratchet handle. I also picked up a 3/8 Kobalt air ratchet when I was rough fitting my doors after there repairs...
Less is more...

It's pretty remarkable that we have been able to disassemble and reassemble our project so far with these hand tools, a hammer, a grinder, a 3/8" drill and a Harbor Freight welder....
But I have the feeling that investing in a few more tools could be in our future...

HOLY CRAP!!!!! Kudos to you, Sir!!!! I would kill myself if I had to work on old cars with just those tools!!!! LOL Ahhh, brings back memories......... days long ago when I was young and dumb. lol:prayer:

I am a carpenter by trade. I was a framer for many many years. I was taught by my dad and grandfather. 16 ounce straight claw fiberglass hammer, nail apron, carpenters rule on subsequent years replaced by a 25' Stanley power lock tape measure, chalk line, cats paw, hand saw, 7-1/4 inch circular saw, chisels, 2' and 4' levels and I'll frame you any house.
I like to keep my mechanical tools organized cause if I don't I'll spend more time walking around looking for stuff. That ADHD will slam the brakes on any project if no kept in check...
Thanks to all the guys on this forum for giving guidance and direction!

I applaud you, I have more mechanic tools that under the seat of my old truck just in case..
I am constantly buying more tools, my tool box requires a step ladder to get anything out of the top box.

Likin' it so far.
Subscribed
I tried getting my 18 yr old stepson into helping me, but no luck.
He's more interested in the ricer crap, he says he wants an Eclipse just like Paul Walker. :tard:

My 16 yr old stepson however is a different story, he'll get interested and help from time to time, and has the capability to learn about real muscle cars.

My 2 yr old boy however has awhile yet, but the big bonus is that he loves to ride in my Duster.

I stopped by the shop this morning and they had Misty outside. No progress this week due to the short week.
Along the way, I have heard a few people say not to take out the old seam filler behind the drip rail. It's cracked and not in good condition. I skimmed it with new urethane seam filler, but noticed today that it looks pretty shakey. The rest of what we've done is so good, that old crap needs to come out.
My deal with the paint shop is for 2K primer and paint so I'm on my own on replacing the filler. Any advice on a how to?

I'm with you in thinking the drip rail sealer needs to come out , I'll be removing mine and starting from scratch .... no recommendations on products to use although some seam sealers can be worked with an appropriate thinner on your finger while others should be left to self level on their own which may be problematic due to the rear of our drip rails sloping down ...will be watching for what works for you , Good luck.

Thats pretty impressive! :cheers:

A little heat and scraper work will get the majority of the old sealer out, then finish with a wire wheel on a grinder. As far as new sealer I bet the body shop could recommend something. There are types that you can apply with something like a caulk gun with a wide oval tip, and are somewhat self leveling. Chemically treat any rust first of course.

I stopped by the shop this morning and they had Misty outside. No progress this week due to the short week.
Along the way, I have heard a few people say not to take out the old seam filler behind the drip rail. It's cracked and not in good condition. I skimmed it with new urethane seam filler, but noticed today that it looks pretty shaky. The rest of what we've done is so good, that old crap needs to come out.
My deal with the paint shop is for 2K primer and paint so I'm on my own on replacing the filler. Any advice on a how to?

I'm pissed I didn't take the old stuff out before I skimmed it! You can clearly see the ripples..

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    91.6 KB · Views: 514
  • photo 2.JPG
    88.2 KB · Views: 524
Other than the seam fill that I did behind the drip rail, she looks good!
They are going to sand her down and shoot her with 2K this week after I dig all that seam fill out...
Hate to see her behind that fence, and out in the weather!

Attachments

• photo 3.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 538
  • photo 4.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 503
  • photo 5.JPG
    144.5 KB · Views: 520
Probably should have taken the side view mirror and door handles off myself so I know how the go back on...
I've owned this car over 3 years and it is really great how nice its coming out from what we started with..
I think it's funny that I'm happy with the way things are going, and I hate waiting!

-
Back