Favorite Family Heirlooms

-

doogievlg

Reaction score
My wife and I recently had our first child and it got me excited to pass some things along to him. Of course he will get some guns and knives but I was curious about what other things people have that they really cherish.

I have nothing that my son will inherit. We plan to donate everything to the church.

I have nothing that my son will inherit. We plan to donate everything to the church.

I’m still pretty young and do my tithing but when I get older I’ll be setting aside funds for the church for when I pass. My dad gifted my a Buck 110 and a Remington 870 when I turned 12. I went out and bought a 110 before my son was born and already have a spare 870 he will use but I always thought tools would be a cool thing to pass down.

The Bible says that a wise man will leave a inheritance to his children and grandchildren. I don't understand why people want to leave everything to their church

ill snap a picture here shortly, i have a candle shaped like the head of an old man
i got it when my grandparents passed

My wife and I have elected to leave everything to our local SPCA since we are both very big animal lovers. We have no kids, she has a son from her first marriage, but he has told her he has no interest in or need of any help from us. He has a very good paying career and has only recently started talking to his mother after more than 5 years.

I remember my grandfather selling all of his rifles for next to nothing. He was a preacher in Appalachia and times got tough every now and then. Me living with them prolly didn’t help. I always wanted to find the guy that bought them to see if he still had any and what he would want for it/them. I’d give an arm and maybe a leg to be able to pass one to my kid.

My other grandpa was a preacher too. There isn’t much but things were not important to either of them.

My father had a Belgium Browning Sweet Sixteen that I really wanted however. I offered pop what he paid for it several times over the years but dad was nowhere near ready to part with it. One evening he calls me and explains that he lost his last dollars gambling with colleagues in Dallas and needed some dough to get back home. Well, and not let my stepmother know. I made a deal for that gun for $250. My kid will at least get that one and a story to boot!

Congrats on the first child. For me my favorite heirlooms are from my grandpa. A left hand shotgun and his old army awards/certificates. For my kid prob be some cars if she’s into it and my old army stuff.

I’m still pretty young and do my tithing but when I get older I’ll be setting aside funds for the church for when I pass. My dad gifted my a Buck 110 and a Remington 870 when I turned 12. I went out and bought a 110 before my son was born and already have a spare 870 he will use but I always thought tools would be a cool thing to pass down.
I gave my son a NICE Remington 514 single shot bolt action rifle, a 500 dollar plus mandolin, MY Washburn acoustic guitar and various other things before he moved out. He pawned all of them and lost them. So I'm done giving to him.

And yes total congratulations on your first born! I wish you much happiness.

I have a .20 ga Stevens shot gun my grandfather gave me.
He told me that the day he came home from WWII, he got to the train station early. Across the street there was a hardware store, and since he had time to kill, he went in.
He saw the shot gun and figured he'd need dinner, so he bought for $12.
Said when he got to his final stop, his mother was there, ad already had pork chops waiting.
He said the next morning he went squirrel hunting. Said it was the 1st time in a long while he was walking in the woods and looking for a "damned Nazi".
Then he clammed up, handed me the the Stevens, and told me he's never shot it. I was hoping he'd tell me more about his time in France, but he never did.
When he passed away, we requested his service records to get him a grave marker. That's when we found out he landed in Normandy, D Day plus three. Later he would be part of Pattons army during the Battle of the Bulge.
I'll make sure that my son get that Stevens. What he does with it is up to him, but I trust him to keep it in the family and tell its story.

My dad gave me a Fender wildwood 6 and I'm not parting with it. I've probably had it 50+ plus years and I've never seen one anywhere. I think that fender only made the wildwood 6 a year or two.

my dad didn't have any guns, so i got a depression era potato masher. one of those very farm implement looking wire jobbers with a green handle (you old farts know what i'm talking about).

which i guess is a good thing, because i make mashed potatoes more than i go shooting.

My dad gave me a Fender wildwood 6 and I'm not parting with it. I've probably had it 50+ plus years and I've never seen one anywhere. I think that fender only made the wildwood 6 a year or two.
that's crazy. i still have my dad's coronado 2 wildwood. i learned to play on a mid 60's flat top malibu that's long gone (some crackhead stole it). both guitars were given to him by my aunt's husband at the time who worked for fender.

they're both really nice playing instruments.

My mistakes and my last name is the only thing I can afford to give my three boys.

My cats on the other hand, will get my 69 Charger and my house.

I have my dad's Colt 1911 pistol he carried while in the navy all his old tools and his wallet with everything in it, but best of all are the good memories I have of him.

I have my grandfathers retirement Omega watch from 1965, and all of my dad's tools. I bought his 1987 D150 from the estate, which I still have. Everything else I did myself.

We have no kids, so we'll probably just let the government take everything when we go.

Last edited:
My dad and I had a great relationship all my life. My memories of that are all I need from him. I have a couple guns of his, a few tools of his, but the most important thing to me is an old sweater that belonged to him. I wear it when I'm feeling particularly down and it makes me feel better.

If you want to leave something to your kid, leave them good memories. Spend as much time with them as you can. It won't always be about things you love, hell, I learned how to be a football coach just to spend time with mine. I wish I had done more.

He got into cars in his later teens so I am luck we have that now too.

Congratulations on your first child! Hold on because you will blink twice and they are graduating and gone! I'm having a grade 12 graduation party for my first baby tomorrow!

Cley

When my mother's father passed in 2018 I inherited his customized 1970s vintage Ruger Super Blackhawk .44 Mag and Browning Hi-Power, I have memories of shooting both with him and my dad since I was 8. I also got his ties and some of his shoes since I have the same shoe size as him. The ties are really nice I like to wear them when I wear my suit, it reminds me of him. We were really close and he didn't have any sons, I'm the oldest grandson he had.

When my father died, he left me this 1938 Zenith radio my grandfather bought new.
I restored the chassis and listen to it almost every day!

127D3007-FB72-45C7-92CB-D891A2035049.jpeg

I've got a Remington revolver carried by my great-grandfather on his trip across the plains by wagon train. He had a pair that were passed down to my grandfather, and then split between my dad and his brother (my uncle). My uncle was going to give his to me so I would have the pair but, unfortunately, his home was broken into and his revolver was taken.
I also have a mantle clock that was a wedding present to my mother's parents.
As far as from my dad I also have his bolt-action Winchester .22 that I first learned to shoot with and his Marlin lever-action .32 that he only fired once before he passed. I also have his pocket watch that he carried as a railroad engineer for Union Pacific

I have a bunch of stuff my kids will have to go through…
Oldest item I got through my grandfather (still a sore subject with my brother’s and cousins) is a real Colt 45 (Peacemaker). It looks new.

In the late 1800’s my great-grandfather’s book keeper was embezzling from his business. My GGF told him he would not fire him, he would just dock his pay till the money was paid back. The book keeper took a few more dollars at lunch, bought the pistol, and killed himself. My GGF kept the pistol “because he paid for it.” When my GF ran away from home to be an El Paso deputy at 15 yrs old, he took the pistol. The 1800’s in Texas were some interesting times.

GF left the pistol to me because he felt I was the only one that would not sell it.

I got my dad’s deer rifle and Colt .38 officers model. And his beloved John Deere 40 crawler. He bought it new in 1955.

D41F5EB0-31AD-4D30-9230-62D6E611B1C6.jpeg

14F650FC-2F43-41FD-BA27-F36D493FC968.jpeg

I have a sampler my great, great grandmother embroiderd in 1859 as a young bride in Prussia before she immigrated.
I have my great, great grandfather's (not the one married to the aforementioned gggm) army discharge from 1865. I also have a photo of him in uniform from 1863-64, and his G.A.R. badge. Also a New York Gettysburg Veteran medal from when he attended the dedication of the New York monument there.

*Edit - photos added.

IMG_20230602_222339205.jpg

IMG_20230602_222446329.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back