Feather Duster Dart Lite Thread

-

Blue87D100

Reaction score
I wanted to start this thread to give anyone a chance to prove me wrong. 250 bux cash to anyone that can show me proof that a FACTORY 318 FD/DL exsist. That means pictures of the car,fender tag,vin and build sheet showing the A31 FD code,the E44 318 code and Build Sheet at the bottom will say "85 - FEATHER DUSTER".

Man I could use the money for Christmas Presents! I really thought you could get a 318 but I can't prove it. My feather was a 225, never had a broadcast sheet. I will stay tuned.......................

Cash money,be all end all FD/DL thread here. I was called out by another member who is a self proclaimed mopar expert,so I want to find the answer.

i found this interesting.................From the Mopar Lightwieght Vehicles Division comes this 1976 Spirit of ’76 Dodge Dart Lite. Less than a thousand of these special edition Dodge Darts were ever made, with the lightweight Plymouth Division version known as the Feather Duster. As 1976 coincided nicely with the Bicentennial of the USA, the Spirit of ’76 Dart Lite was built with 200 years of awesome into the red, white, and blue piped bucket seats alone. While the patriotic appearance package is itself genius, more amazing is that thanks to less wieght and creative engineering, the Spirit of 76 Dart achieved an impressive 36 mpg highway! Use of aluminum internal bracing, bumper structures, and an aluminum intake manifold lightened up the entire coupe. A specially prepared carburetor and distributor were mated to the leaning tower of power slant six engine under the hood. With a four-speed manual transmission linked up to some tall highway rear gears, the Dart made for 36 mpg. The Dart Lite came in just over the 4000 dollar mark with a few sweet options from your Dodge Dealer in 1976. Make mine a Dart Lite.

View attachment dart_lite.jpg

View attachment dtl2.jpg

View attachment dts.jpg

WOW, Between the colorfull PM's you are sending me and this, you really do have a problem! lol

I never called you out Mr. I said what I seen and you got all hostile about it.
And yes, I did say something that I should not have said in a PM. I am sorry, your sexuality has nothing to do with this topic.

Hey he called me out in the Feather Duster Value thread. If I am wrong I will pay up and shut up simple as that.

You stated your case in post 1, now sit and wait to see if someones going to get an early christmas present, don't keep harping or I'll be deleting this thread to.

I never called you out Mr. I said what I seen and you got all hostile about it.
And yes, I did say something that I should not have said in a PM. I am sorry, your sexuality has nothing to do with this topic.

Yes you did. You said I was wrong and that there were feather dusters made with a V8,and went on about how much you know about mopars. Thats calling me out. THen when I called you out,you made a joke about me being a homosexual,because you are a reasonable mature person.

lmao ,you guys crack me up, even though it sounds serious, im doing everything in my power to find a documented v8 powered FD or DL cuz the little ones need new shoes for xmas lol ,but i am not having ANY luck thus far, and honestly ,i believe the little ones will be going back to school with socks on AND if one or two DOES exist , they would probably have the luxury of being known as a true 1 of 1 ...IMO

dont worry 73abodee, just send me a paypal add. i'll kick them both a pasir of shoes! merry x - mas!

Holy crap, it's only a fricken duster. Not saying that I don't like them, but you guys are grown men so act like them.

come on cliif? how can you be surprised? you of all people??????????????? lmao. i need to get some popcorn!

come on cliif? how can you be surprised? you of all people??????????????? lmao. i need to get some popcorn!

Easy I always see the good in members here until they prove other wise

Found a Feather Duster...6 cyl/4-speed OD ...rusting away at the back of someones lot in town back when building my first HemiDuster. The lightweight partial aluminum hood and decklid were about all that was left of the car. The owner let me have it as long as I returned the aluminum case OD transmission to him......

my point is ...I was always amazed the money spent to place somewhat lightweight pieces on this special edition car...probably needed to compensate for the 100lbs of 5mph bumper/ Government BS....go figure

anyways ..I thought a six was all you could EVER get...because their goal of the lightening was better MILAGE.....

of course..I'm no expert (Rev Al...can I get a Amen on that?)

I've always been amused how many people will come up to me in parking lots or at the gas station and start talking about my car. "I had one of these Dodge Lancers! Mine was a '60 with the 318 Hemi." Or "Man, these Darts are neat! I learned to drive in one just like this, but I kept burning out the transmission; it had the 2-speed without water cooling." Or "I used to own a '72 Valiant station wagon with the 170 slant-6, factory air, and 4-speed transmission. Had the build sheet and everything. Really rare car. Never say never!". Except for that last example, most of these kinds of schlemiels don't intend to tell fibs or defraud anyone. They're just displaying the unfortunate but true fact that the human memory only feels like a video camera. In fact it's a good bit less reliable than that, more like a spazzed-out six-year-old with attention deficit disorder taking notes on lined newsprint with a fat orange crayon. Much of what we are absolutely sure we remember seeing, doing, hearing, smelling, tasting…never actually happened -- at least not the way we remember it.

There is a mountain of good quality evidence against the notion of any Feather Dusters or Dart Lites leaving any Chrysler build plant with a V8 engine. The burden of proof is on the individual claiming all that evidence is wrong. He'll need to support his assertion with more than just a claim of having seen such a car.

I don't have a dog in this particular fight, but one thing to keep in mind is that however many you-can't-officially-get-that-combo cars Chrysler built, and they built a fair number of them, that practice stopped very abruptly once emissions regulations came into full force, i.e., 1971-'72. Each and every vehicle, engine, transmission, rear axle package had to be tested and type-approved for emissions and fuel economy compliance. Throwing any engine and transmission and rear axle into a car just because it would physically fit and the factory had the equipment on hand was no longer legal, and penalties are extremely steep for the company who does it. In that context, the notion is ridiculous that Chrysler would do it for the buyer's $167.20 or whatever the 318 cost vs. the 225 in the '76 A-body.

Another thing to keep in mind: It is not possible to prove a negative (go on, prove to me that purple alligators don't exist! I dare ya!) so trying to do so is a fool's errand.

You could get a 318 with the 4 sp overdrive.....

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/images/dealerships/DealershipDataBook/1976/76-Dart_0009.jpg

but you could not get a 318 in either the Feather Duster or Dart Lite A31 package......

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com...rshipDataBook/1976/76-Valiant-Duster_0018.jpg

EDIT:
I was doing my research when Slantsixdan posted and I am in complete agreement with him about building something that was not supposed to be built, esp. if it affected emissions or safety. Somebody on the line could have built a 318 FD or DL, but the VIN tag, data tag, IBM punch card and the build sheet would still call it a slant 6 car.

dont worry 73abodee, just send me a paypal add. i'll kick them both a pasir of shoes! merry x - mas!
wow very cool and generous offer! i would take you up on it, but im still searching every avenue for the mysterious,ever elusive factory 426 4 speed dana 60 ,76 dart lite or feather duster...uuuhh i mean 318 or 360 powered .... the only reason this whole thing blew up was because there was a claim of a documented v8 76 FD and well to be honest, some want to see it..

Here is a picture of my old Spirit of 76 Dart Lite
Dartlite.jpg

-
Back