Feature Magazine Article - FABO's Own "ou812"

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I received my June 2010 issue of Car Craft magazine yesterday and found a great feature article on pgs. 22-27 about building a 480hp Mopar 408" stroker smallblock. The build was done by FABO's own "ou812", Brian Hafliger of IMM Engines in Indio, CA.
Good article with lots of good information and tips.
Just one thing though Brian, what's up with painting a Mopar Chevy orange????

Pick up the mag for both this article and another one on pgs. 34-38 titled "How To Set Up Gears In a Mopar 8-3/4" Rear". Lots of pics and DIY info.

Remember it was a budget build! That Chevy paint is some cheap azzzz chitttttt!!!!! haaaaaaaaaa

Just messin Brian!

Thanks guys!
Hope everyone likes the article. We tested a few things so you can see what works and what doesn't.
If you guys want to see a flollow up article going for more power on pump gas, let CC know!

Brian

Nice job Brian! I was just talking to McKenzie (she spoke to your pops) and she wanted to know when it was coming out. So, now we know. BTW: I just got her to sign up here yesterday. Now, I have to go seek her out.

waiting for mine in the mail...cant wait now, finally some mopar material in there!

Hey Brain, what head would your prefur to run? And how preped?

Hey Brain, what head would your prefur to run? And how preped?

We were going the Indy route...hand ported -1 but we might go with our ported Eddy head/carb and test FB's six pack EFI setup.
I'm hoping for the Indy head deal because we can make great power and still be fairly streetable where the eddy head route if we keep things streetable will be down on power compared to the Indy's.
Will be running a roller cam of some type as well. Maybe some new limited travel hyd. rollers on a solid roller cam or something fun like that.

We were going the Indy route...hand ported -1 but we might go with our ported Eddy head/carb and test FB's six pack EFI setup.
I'm hoping for the Indy head deal because we can make great power and still be fairly streetable where the eddy head route if we keep things streetable will be down on power compared to the Indy's.
Will be running a roller cam of some type as well. Maybe some new limited travel hyd. rollers on a solid roller cam or something fun like that.

What about a three-part deal? (probably not, cuz it's not a chivy), bigger hyd roller, fully ported RHS heads, etc as part 2 and then the Indy deal above for part 3 and final.

The Edel.'s are more so real world/popular. Not so much with the indy's though it is a better choice IMO. The cubes are there! LOL

OK ok ok ok, don't go crazy on us now. Your going to confuse alotta people and feild a zillion and 1 questions if you start up with nutty stuff like that.

3 part deal might happen actually. Just not sure what they're going to let us do. I have to say I think the outcome of part 2 would be predictable...roller cam and porting and keep the dual plane, go to larger carb should be worth a good 40HP.
If we don't get that oppurtunity maybe I'll try to find time to do that on my own. Would be interesting to see how much power we can get with the cast iron head.

Much cheaper valve train than the W2 at this point so...

Rumble: I think the Mopar world is ready to step into the 21st century...don't you?? LOL!!
Limited travel hyd. rollers allow a tiny amount of adjustment to be carefree but opens the door for performance from a good hyd or solid roller profile. No lash adjustment, and no lifter pump up...CAKE and EAT IT TOO!!

3 part deal might happen actually. Just not sure what they're going to let us do. I have to say I think the outcome of part 2 would be predictable...roller cam and porting and keep the dual plane, go to larger carb should be worth a good 40HP.
If we don't get that oppurtunity maybe I'll try to find time to do that on my own. Would be interesting to see how much power we can get with the cast iron head.

Much cheaper valve train than the W2 at this point so...

Rumble: I think the Mopar world is ready to step into the 21st century...don't you?? LOL!!
Limited travel hyd. rollers allow a tiny amount of adjustment to be carefree but opens the door for performance from a good hyd or solid roller profile. No lash adjustment, and no lifter pump up...CAKE and EAT IT TOO!!

How about a little deeper explanation.

Are these lifters, Hyd roller?

Will they fit in a standard 340/360 block?

Is it just a spring in a solid lifter.....sort of, that has a spring that allows only say .020 float or compression........or is it a Hyd lifter?????

At what rpm do these lifters shine.........above 6000.

sorry just wanting to field a few of the questions Rumblefish360 was worried about8) :read2:

Brian, have you approached any of the Mopar mags (Mopar Action, Mopar Enthusiast, or Mopar Muscle) about a possible 3-part feature series? I think they would be more interested in this type of study that any of the mainstream mags such as Car Craft or Hot Rod.

My personal choice right now for an engine build for my '69 Dart is a stroked 360 about 10.5:1 compression, Indy-MAX heads with 2.02 intakes (will they go to 2.08?), Hughes shaft roller rocker setup, M1 single plane, and a 850 annular carb, using Mopar 380HP crate motor cam.
Streetable with 3.91 gears and overdrive auto tranny?
I know aluminum heads are much lighter, but I've always liked the iron heads capability of holding more combustion heat.

-
Back