Feel kind of stupid asking this - Hood scoop

-

Kmrumedy

Reaction score
Ugh, feel real stupid asking this.....

I cut a larger hole in my hood today to accommodate a larger air cleaner. I grounded around the hole but edges are still sharp. I want to put a piece of threaded rubber tubing around the hole.

I went to my local automotive store and all they had was this thin plastic clip on stuff. Kid had no idea what I was talking about.

What do you guys use? Do you glue it on? I didn't even know what to call it when I searched Summit. :(

Thanks.......bows head in shame....

How about a length of rubber hose? The trick is to slice it straight along the length of it.

I used my passed away Mother's oxygen tubing and it works great without gluing. :D
No disrespect Mom. :D

Exactly! Any rubber tubing will do? What adhesive do you use?

I didn't use any, it grips pretty good. Like I said though, it's tricky trying to cut it lengthwise keeping a straight line.

I lay mine in the vise and clamp it slightly and cut the length of the vice, move it and repeat.

I didn't use any, it grips pretty good. Like I said though, it's tricky trying to cut it lengthwise keeping a straight line.

I lay mine in the vise and clamp it slightly and cut the length of the vice, move it and repeat.

That works.
The plastic stuff hardens up with heat so it stays put, plus I didn't want the size required if rubber tube is used due to the wall thickness.
PLUS it's small enough that you don't have to make a straight slice down it because the OD is so small it doesn't make a difference.
I just stick the tip of and exacto in the end and run it down the hose freehand.
I have pretty much always used plastic instead of rubber on things just like that, and wish Mother Mopar would have done that under the dash.:D
Like blindly reaching into a box of kitchen knives. LOL

Yeah boy, my hands were all nicked up when I took my dash pad off to refurb it, then I had to put it back on!

When I get on something I just do it and ignore most everything in the way of owwies until I have blood running down and dripping off my fingers and getting on what I'm doing. :D
I'll "lick my wounds" later, but get it done is priority one with me.
Sucks that getting older it happens even easier. LOL

I sealed the bottom of an oval aluminum air filter house to the hood with a V-belt. The belt was a bit shorter than the perimeter of the house. It casts a nice shadow-line

I clamp a new Olfa blade into the vise at about a 45* angle, with just a half a tube width sticking out of the jaws. the angle will force the tubing to stay down.Then I draw the tubing across it and unzip it;works great.

I sealed the bottom of an oval aluminum air filter house to the hood with a V-belt. The belt was a bit shorter than the perimeter of the house. It casts a nice shadow-line

I clamp a new Olfa blade into the vise at about a 45* angle, with just a half a tube width sticking out of the jaws. the angle will force the tubing to stay down.Then I draw the tubing across it and unzip it;works great.

Table saw style. :D

Be careful changing anything the factory ever did, as you might be stuck if it doesn't work. :D
Might have to take it to someone to get fixed.
Your coil that leaks oil but is ok might need grounding. :D

Ok, I'll stop being a smart azz now.

Ugh, feel real stupid asking this.....

I cut a larger hole in my hood today to accommodate a larger air cleaner. I grounded around the hole but edges are still sharp. I want to put a piece of threaded rubber tubing around the hole.

I went to my local automotive store and all they had was this thin plastic clip on stuff. Kid had no idea what I was talking about.

What do you guys use? Do you glue it on? I didn't even know what to call it when I searched Summit. :(

Thanks.......bows head in shame....
i have heard it called pinch weld from a upholstery shop

Grommet strip from an electrical supply outfit works too. Cut to length and it is made to grip over the metal edge. Available in white and black that I've seen.

Cley

X2 on door edge guard. Cheap, available at auto parts stores, and no risk of slicing open fingertips.

-
Back