Feeling violated

-

Holy Roller

Reaction score
Why is it that Mopar owners seem to be taken advantage of by price gouging, it's rediculus. I know everyone wants or needs to make money....but sometimes it's just flat out rape. We need more Mopar owners to be Mopar venders, maybe that would help. Thanks for listening to me vent.

Better get used to it or buy a Chevy. That's just how it is.

Well wait until you try an ACTUAL rare care like a Stude 'er somethin

It's a numbers game - in order to develop a new product, a company incurs costs (non-recurring engineering, or NRE).

If the market for a product is 100 units, then the NRE gets spread across 100 units (so, in theory, each unit would pay 1/100th of the NRE in our simple example).

If the market for a product is 1,000 units, then the NRE gets spread across 1,000 units (1/1,000th the NRE for each product).

Say the NRE is $100,000 - that means the first group (Mopar owners) have to pay $1,000/unit in NRE, plus profit, etc.

The second group (Chevy owners) would only have to pay $100/unit for NRE, plus profit, etc.

This is obviously worse than what we're really seeing (usually about 2x the cost, right?), but that's the idea (ignoring the other issues like supply chain cost, etc.)

Would it have anything to do with Chrysler being the smallest of the big 3 companies?

Well let's just remember that Chrysler no longer exists. Yeh!! Actually not!!! "We are" Studebaker, DeSoto, Kaiser, and Hudson, and a few others. We are extinct!!!

Oh, yes, I realize there's that "brand name." But it's NOT Chrysler!!

Yep just paid $166 aus dollars for a plastic Dodge boot decal delivered to my door. Probably cost 10 cents to make in it's day.

Its a tough world selling parts for a living. First, so mush stuff is made in China and crap that will come back and bite you if you sell it. If you only sell US made stuff, then you get $800 headers that you make 10 points on. Then there is Summit, Jegs and now Amazon selling stuff shipped for 10% more than we buy it for. So many companys have whored out their products to the big 3 that you cant make dirt.
Perfect example: If I buy 3 pairs of Edelbrock SBM heads, the big 3 sell them for $904-$925 and thats shipped which costs $35 ea. I can get them for right at $800 in quantity 6

6x $800=4800 + $150 pallet to me =$4950 . So now I sell them for $920 and pick up shipping 6 x $920=5520 -shipping cost $35x6=210. $5520-210=$5310 Total profit $360 or 7% profit but that doesnt figure in power, web site, 2% Credit Card etc. Needless to say, we dont sell a lot of Edelbrock. I can buy Comp Cams cheaper from Summit than through my account I have had with them for 20 years.

We currently have several companys that wont let summit sell their stuff at cost and on those products, we can sell cheaper than them with free shipping and still make 10%.

Guess my point is I dont do this to make money, I do it because I am a gear head and have always been since I was a kid. Hell, if I wanted to make money, I would be in banking, real estate, politics or some other criminal enterprise. We literally spend our days trying to find better deals for our customers and pass them on, installing new parts to make sure they work before they go on site. The bright side is that I dont pay nearly as much in taxes as a banker:D and I dont have to figure out what to do with all that ill gotten cash!

Yes, parts for any Mopar are priced sky high, but many parts for A and B bodies are at least being reproduced now, unlike how it was twenty years ago.

If you really want to question your sanity for trying to restore an old Mopar, try rebuilding a fifty-something finned car. Four poorly and improperly stamped patch panels for the floors in my '56 Plymouth cost more than a complete, one piece, factory correct floor pan for a '57 Chevy.

That said, just ask me which car gives more self-satisfaction to own. When mine is complete, I'll appreciate the fact that it was a labor of love and creative hard work, not just one more belly-button-bowtie built with a checkbook and a stack of catalogs.

That makes feel a little better, I paid 36.00 for 2 rivets that should have cost maybe 5 cents. I understand that the Plymouth and other Chrysler Corp. lines are no longer around. But some things like your decal for 166.00 is just plain rediculus, there has to be a way to restore American muscle without being taken advantage of.

You guy's have about said it all, and very well, If we (Mopar guys & gals) were attempting to fit the mold that has been cast we'd all have red or blue Camaros or Novas, or a tri 5 Chevy. or one of the few Fords that have somehow become iconic.
There are the odd other Ford/Chevy choices that have a big thick catalog to order out of and the parts quality can vary greatly. Like was stated before, the influx of offshore stuff is everywhere and is often hard to detect. You used to be able to sort of tell by the huge price differential, but not so much anymore, the junk is often all you can get, and it costs as much as quality used to.
If you as I do choose to play in the arena of one-offs or the stuff you never see, the expertise you will gain along the way will set you apart from the rest of the pack. Now days it's getting increasingly difficult to be unique as is seen by some of the "creations" we see on CG. Keep your standards high and you priorities right and the rewards will be at least in your heart forever.

So what do the correct specialty rivets mean to the value of your car?

that said, just ask me which car gives more self-satisfaction to own. When mine is complete, i'll appreciate the fact that it was a labor of love and creative hard work, not just one more belly-button-bowtie built with a checkbook and a stack of catalogs.

this is why i am doing what i'm doing!

Wouldn't be quite so bad if some of it wasn't crap. Bought a new shifter boot , put it on and three days later it had a three inch split in it. AND the car hadn't moved an inch, it was still on jack stands.
Yote

the amount of repoped parts is SOoooo much greater than it was decades ago, but then too, back then you could actually go find a bone yard with parts cars!!!! supply of engines and trans were so better.

Walmart taught us to buy cheap sorry crap. the big corp. and U S govn't (politicians) sold out the American worker to China. maybe, just maybe, if summit, jegs, amazon pouts the smaller mopar vendor out of business, they will have it all and a monopoly between the big three!??? so is life.....

This is the very reason when i go to a car show i HARDLY look at a GM ... you can pretty well build a vehicle from repop parts and call it a classic when done ???

For $35 for a pair of rivets it sounds like he bought the special vin tag rivets, which are big money for any brand of car.

Why is it that Mopar owners seem to be taken advantage of by price gouging, it's rediculus. I know everyone wants or needs to make money....but sometimes it's just flat out rape. We need more Mopar owners to be Mopar venders, maybe that would help. Thanks for listening to me vent.
What you need to do is take all your spare time scouring salvage yards all over the country, find lots of parts, put"your"money on the line, then spend your time and money getting all these parts together for a swap meet then have"mopar guys" tell you they are"waaaaaaaay" overpriced. I guarantee you that I own as many mopars as the next guy but I won't give my parts away. What "WE" actually need is more people that pay for parts. Do you realize why the aftermarket follows GM and Ford? It's because the buyers before paid for the aftermarket parts, it's not because they have a warm and fuzzy feeling about GM, it's"MONEY"!!! And all the whining in the world won't change a thing!!! Simply put- money drives the market!!!

For $35 for a pair of rivets it sounds like he bought the special vin tag rivets, which are big money for any brand of car.

That was my point. Use std rivets and your $xx,*** car is not registerable (in CT that also means able to be titled) under it's own VIN. What's that worth?

you thought Mopar parts where costly!
Porsche 911 Brake Pad Set Genuine

Sale Price:
$510.76
Quantity: 1

In Stock
Part Number: 86-08019613

GM is not cheap either-1966 Corvette 3869942 Block $5,500.00

NOS 1965-72 Corvette Chevelle Big Block Fuel Pump "E" Bolts 427 454NOS 1965-72 US $99.95

1966 Nova SS Chevy II #1111154 Distributor L79 327 350HP 5M1 Date Very Rare!!!!!
US $2,969.10

d5667 is correct when it comes to used parts..... been there, done that... the OP I figure was talking about basically reproduction parts?

swap meet generally are "for fun and hagggling" for many, no doubt. try to just find an old yard with some mopars, drive there, pull the parts, for the owner. drive hours to the swap. pay the space, meals, gas, motel...... with the nothing of making a profit!?????/ HUH??????

this same mentality creeps into our mopar market where someone tries to sell off a car...... if a guy asked $200 for a car worth $10000, 99 % of the lookers would offer $50 and not pay a $ more...!? true?????

our hobby costs money like most,, some hobbies cost more $$ than others.

It's not just vendors. Everyone takes advantage of everyone. It's not a hobby to people anymore, it's a business. Instead of helping each other people are just using it to make money. We could be building these cars for half of what they cost but everyone has to dime and nickel each other to death.

It's not just vendors. Everyone takes advantage of everyone. It's not a hobby to people anymore, it's a business. Instead of helping each other people are just using it to make money. We could be building these cars for half of what they cost but everyone has to dime and nickel each other to death.
I don't. I have given good parts for shipping. Yes I have. And there are lots of Mopar Heads that will do the same.

I just paid 420 for a gallon of paint sure I could have bought Van Sickle. I don't see mopars at the cruise ins anymore,why? I know guys that just refuse to pay for parts, they won't spend that extra 20-50-100 to be able to drive them. Maybe they will buy them someday- when they are too old to drive and enjoy them! When I drive one of mine I always talk to someone that has one in his garage,barn,shed. I know a guy that is about ten miles from me that has a nice69 rt but it's just "too expensive" build the engine! Good luck with all the excuses.

-
Back