FelPro head gaskets

-

71Duster

Reaction score
Ok went to put my heads back on and the felpro gaskets I have pn#1008 dont seem to fit. All the holes line up EXCEPT a coolant passage on the front upper corner on each side of the block, it matches a passage in the head that mates up with a passage from the front of the intake. Is this passafe supposed to be blocked? Or did I get some strange head gasket?

Yep.... I had a similar question when I screwed together my lump last season. One passage is blocked. My guess is so the coolant can absorb some heat while circulating. My car never ran hot. It ate a camshaft, but it did it running cool.... :|

Anyone else have a better guess????

Wow not sure if I feel mpre at ease about blocking it or not -LOL- I sorta figured to might be to slow the coolant's movement a little because everything else lines up. To bad I tossed the old head gaskets :roll:

I see he never did get back to you but I've looked at a bunch of gaskets like you did all of them blocked, the part number is correct too and I was told by another chysler guy the same thing. Its a water circulation thing. So guess it goes together and no worries....

71Duster said:
I see he never did get back to you but I've looked at a bunch of gaskets like you did all of them blocked, the part number is correct too and I was told by another chysler guy the same thing. Its a water circulation thing. So guess it goes together and no worries....

He did, towards the end of the thread.

Being a cylinder head builder and not an engine builder I'm going to ask
one of my engine builder customers just to be sure. I wouldn't want
to stear you in the worng direction.

I dont see were he got back to you though. He was going to ask someone else.

AdamR said:

Oh. I get it.

mikelbeck said:
AdamR said:

Oh. I get it.

:salut:

Ok last question about head bolt torque, the book sounds like they want a dry torque of 90ft lbs. Is that still best or do you guys like to see the bolts lubed?

I myself lube almost any fastener that has to be at a specific torque. I usually use assembly or moly lube, but motor oil works also. I always have been taught that the dryness creates a friction torque all unto itself and will not read true torque. A little lube dissipates this. But when it comes right down to it I guess it's the builder's point of view. :wink:

I ran mine down to 100ft. lbs. using lubricated ARP studs & FelPro gaskets. It was the only thing that went right.... :wink:

-
Back