Fender Tag Confusion

-

HawaiiDuster

Reaction score
I just decoded the fender tag of my 72 Duster and it says it that the car was equipped with a/c and heater (H51). But this car never had a/c or heater. Its been in my neighborhood since it was new and never had it. Has anyone else come across this situation? I've had the car for over 20 years and got it from my friend who live a few houses away. He got it from his friends parents who live about 5 blocks away. It also has the heater delete plate on the firewall and on the dash. So I've been around this car basically since it was new and it was always a heater delete car. Just trying to figure out WTF.....

Perhaps it came from the factory as a H51 car and those items were deleted at the dealership (maybe at the request of the original owner).

I just seems odd since there was nothing under the dash to suggest there was ever anything mounted under there. No wiring or evidence of anything being unbolted, nothing. I'm gonna try looking under there again tomorrow.

Perhaps the deletion was made at the factory after the build sheet/fender tag were all ready printed/stamped. Was it a "sold car"?

Have you verified that the fender tag matches the VIN and build sheet? What does the build sheet say on it for heater? I have seen a few typo's in fender tags and VIN's but that is not common. A factory heater delete will have a full firewall insulation pad and a fresh air box on the RH side that is a mirror image of the LH one.
Thanks, Mark

No such thing as heater delete as late as '72 (Federal regulations on windshield defogger performance require one); that car had at least a heater when it left the factory.

H25 - Heater Delete was available in Hawaii & on export cars as well.

Got a photo of the tag?

-
Back