Fender Tag Questions...

-

TimE

Reaction score
I decided to decipher the fender tag today on my '72 Demon 340. I have figured out all of the codes on the fender tag except for one. "C17"...anyone have a clue as to what this code is for?

Also, without the build/production sheet, is there any way to determine the scheduled production date on the car?

I do not have C17 in my book but it looks to be an interior code. The scheduled production date is on the fender tag. 2nd line up, next to the sequence number. Its a 3 digit code. Month then day. Oct-Dec used letters. A01 = Oct 1st, B01 = Dec 1st, C01 = Dec 1st. the rest are 1-9 as the calender falls.

The C17 is on the second line up next to the sequence number. So I assume it means Dec 17, 1971?

Here's a photo of my fender tag.

Attachments

• Fender Tag.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 170
I also was curious to know what wheels would have been on my car originally. There is no "W" code for wheels, so I assume that would mean it had steel painted wheels or??

I'm sure I'll have more questions as I go with this car. I don't intend to restore it at the moment, but I would like to accumulate miscellaneous parts that may be missing for future use.

I have what I was told was the original 340 but I haven't checked the #'s to verify this yet. The results of this will most likely determine the future color of the car as it has been "Plum Crazy" for the last 20+ years.

That's cool!! I had googled looking for the c17 and I thought it might be a date code but I didn't find anything referencing the letters for the code. All I ran across was # examples.

Thanks guys!

Wow! I didn't look at the pic of the tag before posting. This thing needs a bath...BAD!

The W code for wheels would most likely only be on the broadcast sheet. As for color, I think TB3 Petty Blue/Corporate Blue is a very well liked color! Especially in a 340 3 speed car!!

C17 is in fact the build date of Dec 17th.

917 would be Sept 17th
A17 would be Oct 17th
B17 would be Nov 17th

Well unfortunately, or fortunately depending on how you look at it I guess, the 3spd has been gone since at least the late 70's--it has a 4 speed in it now.

As for the broadcast sheet, the guy that freshened the car up and painted it purple told me that he had found it but it was in pretty bad shape so he threw it away.:dontknow: This was in the late 80's.

Is there somewhere on the 'net that breaks down production #'s by options? I vaguely recall several years ago finding a site and reading that there wasn't very many 3spd 340 cars in '72, but I don't remember where it was.

Thanks again for the input everyone. :thumbrig:

A real quick google search......... I did not see a breakdown of manual/standard cars.

1972 Demon 39,880
Demon 340 8,700
Dart 4-door sedan 26,019
Dart Swinger Special 19,210
Dart Swinger 119,618
Dart Custom 49,941

"The production total for [Demon 340] is based on
rounded-off model-year records that include only
U.S. built cars. The production total for [the other
1972 Demons and Darts] appears to be an exact
model year record covering all cars built in the U.S.
and Canada, for the U.S. market."

I had run across the "8700 total rounded production" but was wondering if there was anywhere that may have it broken down further. I have spent about 6-8 hours "googlin" this stuff in the last couple of days and just haven't run across it yet. I'll keep diggin as time allows.:read2:

Per Govier's White Book

72 340 Demon LM29H2B

3 speed.... 1,465

4 speed.....1,667

Auto ....... 5,641

TOTAL...... 8,773

Well, it's honestly not much to look at right now. It needs some attention, but here's the most recent pics I have.

The first is right after I put my new tag on about a month ago.

The other 2 are from about 3 weeks ago when I started my disc brake swap(from a '75 Dart). Went ahead and bought a new stainless line set from Fine Lines and have replaced everything else on the brake system also. Just have to get the prop valve mounted, front hydraulic lines on, hook the two lines to the MC and then bleed it out. Heck, that's what I should be doing now...

Anyway here they are...

Attachments

• demon3.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 173
  • demon1.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 162
  • demon2.JPG
    37.9 KB · Views: 160
Thanks for the ****. Looks like a great start:) I wonder if you can strip the purple paint off and save the original paint:-k

Thanks for the ****. Looks like a great start:) I wonder if you can strip the purple paint off and save the original paint:-k

Thanks!!

Sadly, there's no saving the original paint. When the Demon was repainted, it was completely dissassembled. He scuffed it up(what was still good), sandblasted the rough areas and filled the rust damaged areas with dynaglass.

The car had a rough earlier life. When I first knew about the car, around 87-88, it was sitting under a Pecan tree in a guys front yard. It had been used for "Saturday night bar bragging rights" races. The owner was complaining about it not being in alignment and wearing tires on the front, so he quit driving it. As it turned out, it had been raced one too many times after a "night out", put into a ditch and the K-frame was busted.

The hood was damaged with the industrial sandblaster that he used and the right fender was bent up pretty bad and rusty. He replaced the hood and right fender with pieces from a 72 Dart(that was gold). He added the front bumper guards and fender top turn signals from the same car. The front K-frame was also replaced with the one from the Dart, so my car does not have the front sway bar or the the original K-frame with the "washer" that was welded on.:(

I know who the guy is that wound up with the warped hood, I've just got to track him down and see if he still has it or if it's been turned into a toaster already. The other pieces are long gone...

About 3 years after he finished the Demon, and I had bought it the 1st time, he bought a mig welder and told me "Boy, I wish I would have had this thing when I did the Demon. It would have really turned out nice then."

So, I know the history of the car as far back as the late 70's. I know all of it's details since I purchased it the first time around 1990.

And on a side note, I'm 8 months older than my Demon.:-D

-
Back