Fender Tag Screws

-

AlaskaJeff

Reaction score
Question for the nut & bolt restoration guys: What is correct for the screws that hold the fender tag on? I've seen both the same size and painted, and both unpainted, one is bigger than the other & both painted, then the bigger one painted and the smaller natural, both the same size with one black & one natural. This is what my 70 had when I bought it. The screws look to be two different sizes. Obviously everything was painted over black. Then the second picture is how I have it now, with the final inspection tag (with the original B5 Blue color) that I found under the fender tag when i removed it. Did it vary from plant to plant?

Fender Tag.jpg

FenderTag3.jpg

Most of my cars are from St Louis. I do have one from Lynch Road.

I've never seen one big and one small.

B is Hamtramck, right?

Your small screw actually looks like the metal is scuffed/depressed where a larger screw head may have been.

Last edited:
...although your larger screw doesn't look like correct proportions to me.

Hmmm

All that I have seen, including into the late 1980's are the same size and the heads are taller than "common" screws.

The Phillips "slots" do take up a lot of the head, like the small screw in your pics.

My vote-

Your small screw is original.

Large screw is a replacement.

Last edited:
From what I have seen on original cars and learning from articles, the upper right screw was painted. It held the tag in place as it was painted. The tag was folded up for paint coverage underneath. Then an additional screw was added later to finish holding the tag down.

From what I have seen on original cars and learning from articles, the upper right screw was painted. It held the tag in place as it was painted. The tag was folded up for paint coverage underneath. Then an additional screw was added later to finish holding the tag down.

That was one specific plant.

There is no evidence of folding on the OP's tag.

It leaves a pretty good mark and can't really be gotten out.

Yes it is a Hamtramck car. I have heard of and seen tags bent as suggested. I did remember the right corner of the tag was a bit bent initally, as barely seen in the picture. I am by no means an OEM nut & bolt type of guy (anyone can tell that from my Frankenstein car) But it is interesting finding out what was done at the factory.

As pictured above, they should have a crease on one corner with a painted screw as the tag was lifted up in an attempt to paint under it, down the line a second screw (not painted) was put in. I have always seen the screw being the same. The smaller one looks right.

Alan

As pictured above, they should have a crease on one corner with a painted screw as the tag was lifted up in an attempt to paint under it, down the line a second screw (not painted) was put in. I have always seen the screw being the same. The smaller one looks right.

Alan
I always wondered why my tag was bent!

That's funny- I have seen the larger screw too and thought it was odd

Just checked my original 74 Duster and both screws were the same size

What plant is E?

As you can see, that crease ain't gonna come out.

Again, not all plants did that.

I almost said that, but it didn't look like the "LA font", which IIRC is thinner than other plants.

I almost said that, but it didn't look like the "LA font", which IIRC is thinner than other plants.
From what I've read LA had two assembly lines one lines stamping press had the thin font, the other had the thicker font...

I've never heard that.

Interesting.

Original unmolested tag on my 71 Duster, also Hamtramck factory. Two different screws same as yours.

View attachment 1715991139
Very cool! Thanks for the picture. You even have the final inspection tag in the same location and angle as mine. i still can't get over what a low optioned car mine started out as, having basically only 2 rows of codes.

-
Back