Fender Tag

-

basement

Reaction score
Am looking to add another vehicle to my stable and had a question about fender tags and VIN tags.
Both the vin number and fender tags in this car are attached via philip head screws rather then rivets and i've been told that this is not legal and they should be attached with special rivets.
What can you people tell me about that? And should I be concerned? The previous own only had the car for two years and was bought from a dealer.
Thanks

I thought the fender tag was normally via screws, but the vin should be via rivets. I'd look closely and compare the vin's stamped on components of the car with the vin plate. It could just be someone didn't have rivets to put it back on during the restoration.

As for legality, I don't know for sure on that, whether it's illegal to have it on with screws or not.

The vin needs to have the correct type of rivits. The fender tag is held on by two philips screws.

I thought the fender tag was normally via screws, but the vin should be via rivets. I'd look closely and compare the vin's stamped on components of the car with the vin plate. It could just be someone didn't have rivets to put it back on during the restoration.

As for legality, I don't know for sure on that, whether it's illegal to have it on with screws or not.

I know the engine and tranny or not original, so can't compare them. What other components can i look at?

The vin tag on dash is mounted with rivets, black rosette rivets to be exact, which you can still buy nos or reproduction. Usually the front windshield needs to be extracted inorder to access the vin tag to put in rivets.
The fender tag I would be inclined to use phillips machine bolts and some sort of locking nut underneath, so someone doesn't steal it.
Not sure what type of Mopar your looking at, some have the vin stamped on the upper rad support driverside and some have a sticker on the door jam with the vin.

A lot will depend on which year and plant. I know there was one plant that mounted the fender tag with rivets and used a different code for options. The other plants used phillips head screws. Most years used rivets for the VIN but not all. '69 and newer cars had the VIN match the radiator support stamping and sometime a trunk stamping. '70 and newer had a door sticker with the VIN too. '68 and older had a shipping order number on the fender tag which matched the radiator support.

I stay away from cars with shady vins.

Exactly what year and model are we talking about?

Also..... How do you know the engine and trans are not original? The engine and trans may be original but the tags could be from another car.

-
Back