FENDER TAG

-

cawley

383 Bcuda
Reaction score
I bought my uncles 69 barracuda 383 4spd that he has owned since new. It sat in his driveway for over 37 years before I got it. The hood was partly open for all those years. The left inner fender was so rusty I could pull it off with my hands. The fender tag was gone of course. I couldn't find the build sheet. My question is- is there a place that will make a new fender tag for me with out the build sheet ? Also is there a site I can go on to & get the codes that came on the fender tags ? What all codes came on them ? I know what the car has & doesn't have. I just don't know what all option codes were stamped on the tags. I have heard that you cant get a fender tag made with out a build sheet or get a build sheet made with out a fender tag. Thanks for any help.

There are numbers beyond the sales codes on fender tags that you would need a record of.

Fake tags have things that are guessed at.

Better to have no tag at all than a fake.

There are numbers beyond the sales codes on fender tags that you would need a record of.

Fake tags have things that are guessed at.

Better to have no tag at all than a fake.
What would make it a fake & not a reproduced fender tag.

If a repo tag, it would be a repo tag, A fake tag would be options not on the car placed on the tag or a tag that makes the car something it is not. like a 6 cyl into a 440 M code car for example. The repo tags are available and are done very well, I have seen them. I have friends who had spares tags made in case of loss. They store the original and display on the car a repo...I cant tell the difference? The makers are quite stricked in what they need to make the tag.

A reproduction tag would match the original tag. Anything else is a fake tag.

If you don’t have the original tag or a build sheet, you won’t have enough info for a reproduction tag.

Without some sort of documentation (build sheet, old fender tag, etc) I don't believe you will have any luck getting a new fender tag. Any legitimate company will require good documentation. Otherwise, they know they may be making a 'fake' tag for someone, and they do NOT want to get caught doing that.

Without some sort of documentation (build sheet, old fender tag, etc) I don't believe you will have any luck getting a new fender tag. Any legitimate company will require good documentation. Otherwise, they know they may be making a 'fake' tag for someone, and they do NOT want to get caught doing that.
100% agreed.
Would you buy a car that someone guessed at the options or one that was documented as correct?
That opens up a real can of worms, so i doubt if anyone would do it and put their name on it...........

I can under stand all your points. It isn't like I am trying to make the car into something that it isn't. Has anyone restored a mopar & found no trace of the build sheet ? This is the only thing I found. I have taken a few mopars apart & I have always found some trace of the build sheet but not on this one. If it was just a plain 318 or 6 cylinder car I wouldn't worry about it.

69 cuda cond paper 001.JPG

69 cuda cond paper 002.JPG

69 cuda cond paper 003.JPG

69 cuda cond paper 004.JPG

Last edited:
Where all have you looked for a build sheet?

You may be in luck ...That # 165174 looks like your Vin sequence number...anything else on that paper ? Very cool, a lot of people have a build sheet few have this paper, a factory body inspection form.....inspector checks areas that need attention...

Build sheet are found, under the dash (taped on top of the glove box) under the carpet, in the spring under the rear and sometimes front seat, on bucket seat cars behind the back panel on a bucket....and between the gas tank and body with the tar pad sandwiched between the two....and of course none at all.

Where all have you looked for a build sheet?
I took the whole interior apart. I looked at the bottom of the back seat, back & bottom of front seats, headliner, back of glove box, carpet, gas tank, ect.

You may be in luck ...That # 165174 looks like your Vin sequence number...anything else on that paper ? Very cool, a lot of people have a build sheet few have this paper, a factory body inspection form.....inspector checks areas that need attention...

Build sheet are found, under the dash (taped on top of the glove box) under the carpet, in the spring under the rear and sometimes front seat, on bucket seat cars behind the back panel on a bucket....and between the gas tank and body with the tar pad sandwiched between the two....and of course none at all.
If im reading it right it tells me there was a ding on the right fender & F5 exterior paint code & I think the F8 must be the interior paint code.

Even though my uncle ordered the car new, whats the chance that someone has the original build sheet ? Those guys out there that have a lot of papers & documents from back in the day. Do they collect build sheets ?

Last owner ran the air sander over the tag. Pretty much destroyed it. Haven found build sheet yet, but haven’t pulled covers off back of front seats.

Even though my uncle ordered the car new, whats the chance that someone has the original build sheet ? Those guys out there that have a lot of papers & documents from back in the day. Do they collect build sheets ?

Slim to none would be my guess! That's suxs!!! Due to fact you know we're it came from!

To me the fender tag is as, or important than the build sheet?

I don't want a fender tag because I plan on selling the car. I just like to have one for me. If that make sense.

Last owner ran the air sander over the tag. Pretty much destroyed it. Haven found build sheet yet, but haven’t pulled covers off back of front seats.
Do you still have the damaged tag? take a clear picture of the back side of it and I can reverse the image for you. The back sides usually look like new.

3594Terrys fender tag.jpg

3594Terrys fender taga.jpg

Cawley,

My build sheet was to small and confettied to fit In cigarette pack wrapping. Had the tag and rest of the body numbers match, so to me it does not matter. You have a VIN that clearly shows the car as BB 69 so that is half or more of the battle. You also have the history of the family to back it up! I would not be concerned about it to much!

Cawley,

My build sheet was to small and confettied to fit In cigarette pack wrapping. Had the tag and rest of the body numbers match, so to me it does not matter. You have a VIN that clearly shows the car as BB 69 so that is half or more of the battle. You also have the history of the family to back it up! I would not be concerned about it to much!
Agreed and with all of that I wouldn't worry about a tag or build sheet. Now, build sheets are quite elusive, most cars had one, some of those didn't match the car, and some cars didn't get one. Very Very few California built cars had a build sheet unless it was a factory exec ordered car. They had IBM punch cards for their assembly process. The OP's build sheet could still be in the car (or a second sheet) on top of the glove box liner, under the bucket seat backs, under the carpet, or under the headliner. Thay have shown up different places other than under the rear seat back springs. Your build sheet could have gotten put in the next car down the assembly line. Sometimes they get turned in to places like "the Hamtramck Registry Library" or even to Galen Govier "Galen' s Tag Service" (GTS) .

Cawley,

Yea your probably right. Thanks

May have said that wrong!

You have the VIN and if it matches the body numbers, you have the family Provence to back it up. Don't sweat it.

What you may not be able to prove without doubt is "All" the options as delivered. Not that it is a issue though.

I was typing when you responded. Sorry if the post has no revelance.

May have said that wrong!

You have the VIN and if it matches the body numbers, you have the family Provence to back it up. Don't sweat it.

What you may not be able to prove without doubt is "All" the options as delivered. Not that it is a issue though.

I was typing when you responded. Sorry if the post has no revelance.
LOL yea ive been there. Yep the vin # on the dash matches with the #s on the rad. support & the trunk lip (under the trunk seal) They came with the extra wide wheels but did they come with them on the front & back ?

LOL yea ive been there. Yep the vin # on the dash matches with the #s on the rad. support & the trunk lip (under the trunk seal)

That is all you need with the family history of the car then.

Some of us don't have that so fender tags and or build sheets matter more even when all the numbers line up!

Course non of it really matters unless you are trying to sell!

:lol:

-
Back