Fender tag

-
Actual build dates were not recorded on fender tags.

You did not mention a model year, but for 1970 up the build month and year is on the door Mylar, in later years there is a MDH (month, day, hour) date of final completion.

Actual build dates were not recorded on fender tags.

You did not mention a model year, but for 1970 up the build month and year is on the door Mylar, in later years there is a MDH (month, day, hour) date of final completion.
Blah Blah Blah, in leu of anything more specific it is all we have to go on. So without the actual date the date on the tag is going to have to be it. In the end it doesn't make any difference what the date is, it just a curiosity that we have. Yes some parts bight be different but in the end it is just a curiosity thing. On the earlier cars the engine date may be more accurate.

So let it be, the tag date is good enough!

Alan

Last edited:
Build date is build date. Engine assembly date is different than the block casting date. Have some respect. Alaskan_TA knows more about this stuff than most of the people on this planet.

No disrespect, but we're splitting hairs making a big deal of it. The Schedule Production date is close enough for most people, so what if it isn't the actual production date. People have different reasons for wanting to know and if the scheduled production date is all they have then it will be good enough.

Alan

My point of the engine assembly date (stamped) was that it is most likely more accurate and is typical close to the actual assembly date.

On earlier cars there is no way to know what the actual date is so you have to play detective and make a close approximation, I'm sure on most cars will find all the date codes stamped and otherwise will be in a range that the schedule production date looks good enough. I haven't done research on this but would guess that most cars are built somewhat close to the schedule production date.

As long as I have had my Barracuda (1985) I have understood the schedule production date to be a fluffy number, I see no way a car could go down the assembly line in Michigan and in one week be at the dealer in California in 1966. Even knowing it most likely was built earlier I still use that date as it is all I have to go on.

Alan

He asked about the
build date

So I stand by my statement above.

Many of us have cars with a Scheduled Production Date (SPD) on the fender tag with a different actual build month on it, either earlier or later. The Mylar door stickers had to show the final production month and year per Federal law.

So until the MDH coding was introduced, there was NO way to know that actual final production day. ;-)

Let’s get this thread back on track.

What year is your car and we’ll help you find your approximate assembly date.

Alan

He asked about the

So I stand by my statement above.

Many of us have cars with a Scheduled Production Date (SPD) on the fender tag with a different actual build month on it, either earlier or later. The Mylar door stickers had to show the final production month and year per Federal law.

So until the MDH coding was introduced, there was NO way to know that actual final production day. ;-)
Whereas I agree 100% with what you are saying, not everybody knows (or cares) that the date on the tag may not be the actual date or the correct terminology to word a question.

I stand on my opinion that on earlier cars it is all we can go on and when most people ask about the build date it is good enough.

Answer the question the best you can with the information that you have, if the scheduled production date is all you have then that is the best you can do.

Its not like we are going into the DMV and lying about our age, the actual production date is meaningless, it is just a novelty.

Alan

Whereas I agree 100% with what you are saying, not everybody knows (or cares) that the date on the tag may not be the actual date or the correct terminology to word a question.

Undermining people that offer correct answers and information because your opinion differs thereby perpetuation wrong or incomplete answers doesn't accurately address questions nor dispel bad information.

Far too many people have opinions and not data.

I have dates on by build sheet(s).

Would that not be the date the car actually went down the line?

I suppose they could have been printed up in advance.

...and one real world implication of knowing the build date (or SPD) is being aware of mid year equipment changes (seemed to be quite a few in 1973) and or federal mandates that took place on Jan 1.

I stand on my opinion that on earlier cars it is all we can go on and when most people ask about the build date it is good enough.

Answer the question the best you can with the information that you have, if the scheduled production date is all you have then that is the best you can do.

Its not like we are going into the DMV and lying about our age, the actual production date is meaningless, it is just a novelty.

Alan
If you ever need what is likely the most complete info available, check Barry’s website (the guy that answered the question)
The 1970 Hamtramck Registry Home Page

While numbers wizards have came and gone we need to understand the manufacturing process. Whether it is GM Ford Chrysler and I have worked as a millwright at all three, they all have a manual number machine at the end of the line to change/alter/fix call it what you want problems-mistakes made by humans or machines. Monday and Friday are the days that are the most prone for mistakes and a small percent are scrapped because of mistakes and those numbers are used as build numbers for another on the line. Alcohol-drugs and just the normal”bad day”/ going on vacation are part of the manufacturing process. You only know the information you are given-is it good information? As a rule yes, but absolute? In your own mind.

For those that have been tracking the build dates of cars compared to the scheduled build dates, what is the greatest difference you have seen? and what is the average?

Don't get me wrong, I love this stuff, I use to be all over the data tags. I love data, I work in computers and deal with data all the time, I hate it when people input data differently, (Avenue, Ave., Ave, AVE, AVENUE), all technically correct but I like consistency. You can't always have perfect data and have to live with what you have.

For most people in these forums the Scheduled Build Date is good enough if that is all they have. The better way to answer someone's question about the build date of their car is to point hem to the Scheduled Build Date, how to decode it and let them know that is an approximation. In the end they get an answer and are happy.

I think people are getting wrapped up in semantics when most people only care about an approximation.

Alan

Back to my frame off restoration of my 69 Dodge Polara.

Hello all.
Alaskan_TA, can you tell me what I may be buying from this fender tag info. It is a '68 Valiant Signet. I know that QQ1 is blue paint and a few other things, but I can't find info on what some of the codes are. Here are all the digits from bottom left to upper right: VH21 21 5 11 824 187463 2nd line: 4 3 8 1 H4X QQ1 B 3rd line 11 1
That is all that is on there. A pretty sparse car I'd say.

-
Back