Few basic 318 rebuilding questions

-

Mopardude

Reaction score
I have a few basic questions so I can get this 318 together and done.

1. With Felpro gaskets are the head gaskets that come with, all teflon coated? Or do you have to order them that way or is there a way to tell if they are?

2. I remember years ago when I built my last couple of engines I used Edel airgap intakes and I remember the instructions that came with them said not to use the front and rear intake gaskets cause you have to take a couple of pins out of the block that hold these gaskets in place. They had you just lay down a thick seem of RTV instead. Is it this way for all Edel intakes? The intake I have, I bought used and the old front and rear gaskets were stuck to it so the last owner did use them. Any thoughts on this?

3. From what I am reading on the half a$$ instructions on the package for the rear main seals, I should be able to install these without undoing all the main caps? Does it really slip in as easy as the package makes it seem?

not to use the front and rear intake gaskets cause you have to take a couple of pins out of the block that hold these gaskets in place. They had you just lay down a thick seem of RTV instead.

This is the way I have done intakes ever since RTV became popular in the late 70's. Just be sure it's think ENOUGH. The "interim engine" (used) I just dropped into the Dart seems to have shaved heads, as I had one HECK of a time gettting the intake bolts lined up. Turns out the "first time around" I didn't get a think enough bead laid down.

-
Back