FI recommendation for 360 Dart

-
Have had a sniper for a couple years. Definitely had a learning period. I’d suggest shielding all wires, rfi is a big issue. I did have a bad ecu that was replaced under warranty, but took a while to get Holley to get off the “it’s installation errors” mentality. Went without timing control till it was running good, just added that this year. Still learning timing tuning but it’s make a change, if it doesn’t work reload the previous tune, takes 10 seconds. It does start/run better but it’s definitely not plug and play.

Yeah all these horror stories are scaring me off. I may buy a new tank which I need anyway and one of Edelbrocks AVS2 650’s.

Problem is my cars wind up sitting for longer periods of time than they should Its always the idle circuit that clogs up. Clean it out and it will work good again. But usually I break a gasket so I wind up buying another kit.
is that with gas stabilizer in it? i've never used it, so just curious

I have used Stabil,Octane booster, little bit of diesel, ATF. I haven’t found anything that works. I replace the inline fuel filter every time.

And I might add that when I take the carb apart, the bowls are not full of thrash. I think it is the additives in the fuel plugging the idle circuit as the fuel drys up.

I have seen more people dumping their EFI hand over over fist than people buying. Problems,problems and more problems. Of course, the tv shows rave about them being "trouble free"

I predict these aftermarket systems will be gone soon due to lack of interest and unreliability unless you are NASCAR Affiliates.

I have seen more people dumping their EFI hand over over fist than people buying. Problems,problems and more problems. Of course, the tv shows rave about them being "trouble free"

I predict these aftermarket systems will be gone soon due to lack of interest and unreliability unless you are NASCAR Affiliates.
Well you know I’ve been patiently waiting since the advent of aftermarket FI, thinking they would work the bugs out, get more dependable and easier to install. I’m 65, I’m running out of waiting time!

And I might add that when I take the carb apart, the bowls are not full of thrash. I think it is the additives in the fuel plugging the idle circuit as the fuel drys up.
Do you use regular, 93 pump or non-e, Roy?

it seems that most of the issues with the efi kits (ateast from what ive read various places) is caused by the installer.
Mate there are lots of people who have purchased these units and a major are good but there are some who don’t read the manual install it than ***** what a **** unit they purchased. They do have parts fail on them but You can imagine how many units have sold to fail rate ?.On the Holley Forum on Book face it’s pretty good with a lot of knowledgeable people who always go out of their way to chop you out if your having issues or just read the posts and see if anyone has come across issues the same your experiencing . What I really like about it is the tune ability . Spark and fuel through a laptop or hand held but your limited with the hand held. Just got back from the beach with the wifey and took the car for a run man it runs well really well and your just tipping your toe into it .

Mate there are lots of people who have purchased these units and a major are good but there are some who don’t read the manual install it than ***** what a **** unit they purchased. They do have parts fail on them but You can imagine how many units have sold to fail rate ?.On the Holley Forum on Book face it’s pretty good with a lot of knowledgeable people who always go out of their way to chop you out if your having issues or just read the posts and see if anyone has come across issues the same your experiencing . What I really like about it is the tune ability . Spark and fuel through a laptop or hand held but your limited with the hand held. Just got back from the beach with the wifey and took the car for a run man it runs well really well and your just tipping your toe into it .

I agree with everything you say here......BUT here's the thing that I don't like about it. Millions of factory units operate trouble free for hundreds of thousands of miles. Get in, turn the key and go. For YEARS. New cars cost a lot of money. As long as you shop around and don't buy a POS, you get your money's worth.

So, why isn't it like that with aftermarket EFI? Don't come back and tell me it is, because it's not. Although the cost has come down some, for what everything costs to get EFI up and running, there should be a disease free hot blonde jump out of the box, install it for you, screw your brains out when she's done and it should run flawlessly for many years. Ok, maybe scratch the hot blonde thing.

My point is, for the cost outlay, aftermarket EFI should be the best and easiest thing going for our older cars. It's not. Even professionals who do installs every day and do read everything and comprehend it have far from a 100% success rate. The products are simply "not good enough" in my opinion and I'm not alone in my thinking.

I bought my unit in June 2016. At that time there were no reviews or any real information regarding the Fitech unit. After installation I had problems sent it back and the Oxygen sensor was bad. The instructions were a quick start book of 11 pages and half of them were wiring diagrams. The instruction manual was 5 pages with no trouble shooting help at all. When you had a problem you had to call their Tech line and be on hold for almost an hour. So stop blaming installers. They fixed my unit and have yet to think about putting it back on because of the failure of the ECU.

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
I agree with everything you say here......BUT here's the thing that I don't like about it. Millions of factory units operate trouble free for hundreds of thousands of miles. Get in, turn the key and go. For YEARS. New cars cost a lot of money. As long as you shop around and don't buy a POS, you get your money's worth.

So, why isn't it like that with aftermarket EFI? Don't come back and tell me it is, because it's not. Although the cost has come down some, for what everything costs to get EFI up and running, there should be a disease free hot blonde jump out of the box, install it for you, screw your brains out when she's done and it should run flawlessly for many years. Ok, maybe scratch the hot blonde thing.

My point is, for the cost outlay, aftermarket EFI should be the best and easiest thing going for our older cars. It's not. Even professionals who do installs every day and do read everything and comprehend it have far from a 100% success rate. The products are simply "not good enough" in my opinion and I'm not alone in my thinking.
100% true Rusty in what your saying to get the whole unit including tank pump the whole nine yards it ain’t cost worthy . As with anything new you pay premium as time goes on prices adjust .I agree the blonde would be a good bonus .

I bought my unit in June 2016. At that time there were no reviews or any real information regarding the Fitech unit. After installation I had problems sent it back and the Oxygen sensor was bad. The instructions were a quick start book of 11 pages and half of them were wiring diagrams. The instruction manual was 5 pages with no trouble shooting help at all. When you had a problem you had to call their Tech line and be on hold for almost an hour. So stop blaming installers. They fixed my unit and have yet to think about putting it back on because of the failure of the ECU.
Tony I’m not blaming all installers who I blame is the companies selling these units as a easy install which they ain’t without some real planing the install. I agree some units are duds straight out the box problem is these units where built to a price so they can sell to the public. Then poor quality parts are chosen in these units which do not hold out I think not enough R&D was done on these units before putting them out to the public. Big rush to cash in I thinks !

:thumbsup::thumbsup:
100% true Rusty in what your saying to get the whole unit including tank pump the whole nine yards it ain’t cost worthy . As with anything new you pay premium as time goes on prices adjust .I agree the blonde would be a good bonus .

Yeah, that'd be fun, wouldn't it? lol

NEKKID PAM.jpg

Rusty if these units were made with the shielding in there wiring looms like the factory cars running and ecu with shielding or where you can mount it inside like their cousins can . You wouldn’t have half the issues people are experiencing.

Rusty if these units were made with the shielding in there wiring looms like the factory cars running and ecu with shielding or where you can mount it inside like their cousins can . You wouldn’t have half the issues people are experiencing.

And I'm sure the cost would be a good bit more, but people would pay it for a trouble free system.

Of course they would . Like anything if they made it an option for an extra $50-100 more which would cover it easy than experiencing a lot of issues due to RFI. I feel for the Ford guys with the distributor in the front of the engine and the ecu lives in the front of the throttle body . Man those guys have a raw deal . Lots of RFI problems it’s that sensitive . !

It is not just the shielding. You can buy "plug and play" units like Holley HP/ Dominator/ etc for some applications (I think hemi, now too) but you still have to lay the harness in and route it so certain OTHER wiring in the car doesn't screw with it

One good example I always mention is MSD. "Let's say" you have a bone stock Mopar with a solid state voltage regulator, and you install MSD. The MSD can screw with the VR and drive the charge voltage nuts. Also the MSD distributor trigger CAN BE FALSELY TRIGGERED by it's OWN SPARK output from the plug wires!@!@

So right there is a simple situation that can drive some guys nuts. Now multiply that with your O2, your throttle sensore, etc etc, and "Houston, we have a problem"

Del the msd wires 8.5 are what they recommend due to their low resistance. Which are pretty good pieces.

I did a 360 roller motor while back and it ended up having an f i Tech injection '650 hp iirr . Still going after 7 yrs.

With my setup my 6AL box lives under the pass seat wires that I use are all seperated some run along the tunnel others along the outer where the kick panels live theres no interference through the fire wall and the EFI loom runs in parallel with the Stock harness , it’s the coil power wires and the trigger wires where you need to really be aware you run those as they can run amuck . No overlapping of cables ,I use the ferrules on all my wires just to eliminate any issues.

I did a 360 roller motor while back and it ended up having an f i Tech injection '650 hp iirr . Still going after 7 yrs.
And I’ve seen installs where wires are all over the place and not a single issue and others have taken the caution approach and have done what is needed and have ran into many problems . Some units where just made good others not so .

-
Back