-

clhyer

Reaction score
Mornin'
I have found three companies that sell fiberglass fenders:
Glasstek
VFN
AAR
Have any of you had experience with the bumpers from these companies?
How was the fit and finish? Were they ready to "prime and paint"? Any downsides? This will be for a street car, '72 Duster.
Thanks,
C

I've not used thrir fenders,but I have used aar bumpers and hood. The fit is great,the hood needed a little finessing around a scoop but that was it.

I have AAR fenders on my 70 Duster. They fit good and after a couple of coats of 2k primer and block sanding they are as straight as a metal one. But let me be clear on one thing, they don't just bolt on and line up. It takes a little work. The big thing that I missed was the thickness of the fiberglass where they bolt to the core support. That has to be thinned down on the bottom side to allow the mounting holes to line up with the core support holes. You also have to make all the holes for the headlight mounts and bezels but tose are really pretty easy, just need to take your time. Here is a picture of my car with them on. I will try and take pictures of where they need to be thinned today and post them tonight.

P1010052.jpg

Thanks fellas,
Let me clarify - I am only interested in the bumpers.
Thanks again,
C

Mornin'
I have found three companies that sell fiberglass fenders:
Glasstek
VFN
AAR
Have any of you had experience with the bumpers from these companies?
How was the fit and finish? Were they ready to "prime and paint"? Any downsides? This will be for a street car, '72 Duster.
Thanks,
C
OK...I wasn't sure because in you original post you mentioned both. Either way ..AAR hood and fenders for me are excellent. Sure the bumpers are as good. Ron

I used aar bumpers on my duster. They needed some smoothing but not much. They will not have mounting holes. If you use your bumper brackets, you will have to drill the holes. But if you are saving weight, set the factory braces aside and fiberglass some aluminum braces to the back side of your new bumpers. Then you have a clean look with no bolts visable. I used a piece of 3" wide aluminum from an old sliding door frame. I cut two slots in the end of it about 2" long and 1" apart making three tabs that could be bent for mounting the bumper to. Bend the middle one way the outside two the other way. This gives the bracket a large area to fiberglass to the bumper. Mine have been on my drag car for 6 years and havent cracked or fallen off yet.

-
Back