Fiberglass Fenders ???

-

'70_Duster_340

Reaction score
I've gathered from reading around that AAR is the place to buy fiberglass.

Anyone running their glass fenders on a Duster ?? Just wondering how the fit is, and wether or not all the bolt holes and light openings are cut out ?

Thanks,

Kenny

All, I repeat ALL fiberglass parts are "make to fit", nothing bolts right on and fits... they all need lots of work to make stable and flat for paint.

Well I'm expecting to have to do some work to make everything fit just right, but since AAR seems to be the best from what I read here, I'm hoping it won't be that bad.

Still wondering how much work, for example are the fenders just blank shells or are the bolt holes and inboard light at least cut out ?

The dimples are there from the stock part they use as a mold and can be used as a guied to drill the holes out.

I have a pair of AAR fenders on my Duster. They do take some work to make them fit properly. The pic where my finger is at shows where I had to thin them to make the fit up right on the core support. The other pic shows the holes you have to make for the headlight buckets and the grill mounts. I'm happy with mine. A couple heavy coats of 2k and block sanding is about all you really need. Oh yeah you will need to cut out for clearance lights.

DSC00895.JPG

DSC00899.JPG

DSC01015ss.JPG

Looks like you did a great job !!.. So in the first picture the fender just sat a little high, and you took a little thickness out, or are you referring to what looks like a notch? Did you have to cut out the big round hole for the headlights, or just drill the mounting holes? If you cut that hole, how did you get it so perfect?

Thanks,

Kenny

The fenders I ordered (not AAR) came with headlight buckets separate, I will have to match them with the fenders. Yours looks really nice 70 440, I hope mine come out that well. I had them hung on the car and my plow truck ran into the car, long story short, the car is now at my friends house getting the body work done.

Where my finger is just needs to be made thinner. Basically yes it sets too high. It allows the front of the fender (where it bolts to the core support) to drop to the right or clockwise if you wish on the left fender (ps) and to the left or counter clockwise on the right fender(ds) so the holes line up. The hole for the headlight bucket is already cut. The holes for the adjuster screws have to be square so you have to start with a drill bit smaller than the square needs to be then use a small file to finish. Do the same with the nylon posts for the grill. It just takes some time and patience. You may find some small pits (air bubbles) or small imperfections that may need a very small amount of filler. Mine had two small places on the front edge on the passenger side. Overall I am very pleased. Just need the time to finish the car.

Got mine from US bodyscource this week. They have a smokin deal on shipping. From Florida to New Mexico $180 and that was fenders trunk lid and hood. The headlight buckets come built in. Our 67 Valiant is going to the painter in a couple of weeks. Pictures to follow.

I had also purchased a set of fenders, six pack bolt on hood and lower valance for my 70 dart swinger. no longer have the car ended up buying a car finished. The hood will be installed on my new car and possibly the valance not sure since all my parts are perfect on the car. They sell very very nice fiberglass parts. You can actually mount hem on the car and lean against the fender without worrying about cracking it like some race fiberglass you can get. These are perfect for a streetable car. They delivered my parts to the mopar nats so i did not have to pay for shipping. Good luck in your search for fiberglass. Also if you go with a fiberglass hood you will need to get your hood springs heated to take out some of the tension. The people at aar know of a guy that does a perfect job on the springs so that they are the same tension just give them a call and ask for his info. Last time a spoke with him he charged 40.00 and he also runs aar fiberglass on his car.

Thanks everyone ..

1970Duster340, I appreciate you taking the time to explain .. I think I got it now..

jtisdale, I already have the "light" hinge springs..just gotta get the scratch together for the fiberglass.. thanks

Kenny

Got mine from US bodyscource this week. They have a smokin deal on shipping. From Florida to New Mexico $180 and that was fenders trunk lid and hood. The headlight buckets come built in. Our 67 Valiant is going to the painter in a couple of weeks. Pictures to follow.
US Bodysource has fenders for a 67 Valiant? I looked but didn't see them.

-
Back