Fiberglass hood scoop question

-

straightlinespeed

Sometimes I pretend to be normal
Reaction score
Has anyone ever bought from VFN Fiberglass? Im looking at picking up a dual snorkel hood scoop and trying to decide who to go with. I just dont know much about them..

The other is AAR Firberglass. So please if anyone has any input other companies or opinions that would be great!

Glad to hear the dinero wasn't spent on an open bar at the wedding, specially since my invitation must have got lost in the mail. Lol!

I got my doors from them and will be getting my front end from the. I like their stuff

Thanks!

Glad to hear the dinero wasn't spent on an open bar at the wedding, specially since my invitation must have got lost in the mail. Lol!

LOL, nope it wasnt... I swear Paul it was sent! I bet your neighbor has it!!!! The wedding is in a week and a half so you have time to make it.. Sadly, this is not the only thing that I need to buy.. I have to rebuild my entire front suspension..... Grrrrrrr Can you say wedding gift?? hahaha

I have the VFN dual snorkel scoop . It looks good, but be aware that its not the same on the bottom as the factory scoop. It only has a few metal L tabs for bolting to the hood. I didn't trust them alone, so I built up the inside of the scoop flange in areas with 'glass so I could ad some studs. I also had to cut the scoop openings. I didn't mind too much since it was only half the price of the other brands.

I have the VFN dual snorkel scoop . It looks good, but be aware that its not the same on the bottom as the factory scoop. It only has a few metal L tabs for bolting to the hood. I didn't trust them alone, so I built up the inside of the scoop flange in areas with 'glass so I could ad some studs. I also had to cut the scoop openings. I didn't mind too much since it was only half the price of the other brands.

I saw those tabs on there website. They do look flimsy! Do you recall how many tabs where installed in there scoop? Not a bad idea to strengthen it up like you did. Did it seem like good quality and thick glass? How much finish work did you have to do to it?

Not afraid of the prep work but just want a decent scoop that isn't going to crack and fail after a year or so. Thanks for your input.

AAR stuff is complete crap. I have their hood on my car. Junk. Going to take probably a 1,000 to straighten it out.

Last car I used glasstek. Now there is some nice stuff. Couldn't even tell that car was glass.

AAR stuff is complete crap. I have their hood on my car. Junk. Going to take probably a 1,000 to straighten it out.

Last car I used glasstek. Now there is some nice stuff. Couldn't even tell that car was glass.

Sorry to hear of this.. cant you send it back for a replacement?

I bought a vfn pin on hood and a Hemi scoop. I feel their fiberglass is of good quality but I wouldn't go as far as saying it is heavy. The opposite Infact. Thin and lightweight glass for race cars is how I would classify it.
I think if I was looking for a dual snorkle scoop I would look for a nice original myself if it was going on a steel hood. I didn't think much of the vfn metal
L brackets and plan to glass in a flange. I am happy with my parts for what I paid.

I saw those tabs on there website. They do look flimsy! Do you recall how many tabs where installed in there scoop? Not a bad idea to strengthen it up like you did. Did it seem like good quality and thick glass? How much finish work did you have to do to it?

Not afraid of the prep work but just want a decent scoop that isn't going to crack and fail after a year or so. Thanks for your input.
It looks to be of good quality and not full of pinholes, but it is thin. And there is no flange where it mates to the hood , just has the L brackets. There were no brackets at the center of the front which is just as well since I had to contour the center to fit the raised section of my duster hood. Then I built up a thick flange at the front with fiberglass for some studs. I see they have gone up in price quite a bit. When I bought mine about 3 years ago, I paid 115, I think. I would rather have had one with a factory style mounting flange, but for the price I couldn't pass it up. Whether it holds up long term remains to be seen . I currently have the car blown apart to do the body work.

I bought a VFN hood this summer. I was very impressed. Fantastic fit and finish. It's a pin on hood, but has good reinforcement around the edges. Very light weight, but I was able to move it around and put it on/off the car by myself with no worries and little flexing. Here's a couple pics of when I first brought it home to give you an idea.

Attachments

• IMG_5945_20p.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 363
  • IMG_5944_20p.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 371
I bought a VFN hood this summer. I was very impressed. Fantastic fit and finish. It's a pin on hood, but has good reinforcement around the edges. Very light weight, but I was able to move it around and put it on/off the car by myself with no worries and little flexing. Here's a couple pics of when I first brought it home to give you an idea.

I bought a pin on hood as well for my 71 Duster. are you putting your pins through the bracing or not?

I ordered a RO23 hemi hood from AAR for a belvedere. 1st one was damaged by UPS (no fault of AAR) second one arrived safe but had air/pin holes on sides and finish/fit was crap. I have tried three different hoods and this scoop and the scoop is not anywhere near square. It is in my opinion crap. I have since sold the scoop to a friend who swore he could get it to line up. lol yep he sold it to another guy.

Called VFN and was quoted around 265$ shipped to my door for a dual snorkel hood scoop. Don't let the 180 price tag fool you guys, they add on huge cost in shipping!

Called VFN and was quoted around 265$ shipped to my door for a dual snorkel hood scoop. Don't let the 180 price tag fool you guys, they add on huge cost in shipping!

It is a large box that is the issue. The cost of shipping has always killed us. It isn't VIN's fault and I would not expect (or be so foolish) as to thinking they will pay shipping.

It is a large box that is the issue. The cost of shipping has always killed us. It isn't VIN's fault and I would not expect (or be so foolish) as to thinking they will pay shipping.

I think $85 in shipping isn't bad for like a 8' x 6' x 1' box that probably weighs around 30-50 lbs.

For me at least, 265$ is getting close to what a original scoop usually goes for. Why not just wait a while (if you're able) for an original scoop to come on the market

-
Back