Fiberglass?

-

The Sasquach

Reaction score
I'm in the planing stages for a '72 duster build. This will be a long term build. My plan thus far is to completely update the suspension, most likely alter-k front and triangulated 4 link rear. Stroked small block EFI, possibly disturbitorless ignition. I'm still undecided on transmission all options are open at this point.
As for the interior i'm still up in the air, but leaning tword a bench seat mostly OEM interior. With a completly redisigned dash and instrumunt cluster. I'm sure the dash alone will take the rest of the interior in a completely different direction.
Now to the point of the thread. I'm planing on doing several mods to the body, shaving the drip rails, modern flush door handles, hand built grill, relocating and filling the fuel inlet, redesigned side markers, LED tail and markers, as well as modern HID headlights. My question is are fiberglass body parts worth the cost vs steel replacements in terms of weight savings. I'm planing on replacing the hood, deck lid, and bumpers with fiberglass, and want to know if fenders should be considered as well. I have to replace the right fender for sure, (it has a dart fender on the car now) the left one is useable. Also this will not be a daily driver at all just a fun car for weekends ect.
Also how is durability of fiberglass replacement parts? Obviously I'm talking about quality parts not cheep junk, or racer weight parts. David

Boy!!! Sounds like you are either very handy or have deep pockets. Good luck with your proposed project.

Alter-kation is my choice for front suspensions. There are few others out there but A-K has perfected the design.

I can't help you out on interior design. For me it's either stock or race.

I run a S/S rear end set up on my street car and a 4 link /coil overs on my race car so both do the job they are intended for. You have to decide what you're going to use the car for primarily. Ever consider a Viper rear end assembly??

I prefer AAR fiberglass for street weight glass. Glasstek also produces decent street weight fiberglass body panels. If you have deep pockets consider carbon fiber body panels. They are straighter than steel and a whole lot lighter than street weight glass panels.

Well the pockets aren't deep, but I have been wanting to build something like this for more years than I can remember. and after reading the threads in the members restorations section here. (mainly the Blue Missile, Brazilian Dart, and Lump) I realized that I just need to start building and things will come together in time, and I need to just get off my but and do it instead of waiting till My pockets are deep enough or it will never happen.
My handling goal is the best I can get for a street car. Not necessarily street practical but street legal and insanely fun to drive. probably something that will get me in more trouble than the lawyers can get me out of. David

I here you on that! I don't have the money either right now but there is still plenty I can do while waiting for funds that don't cost much if any thing to do. Just chip away at it and it will come in time. Or so I keep telling my self any way. LOL

-
Back