filler neck modification

-
I've been watching this thread for a while, but IMHO I don't believe the true cause of this issue has been identified. I don't see how a flapper valve has any ability to prevent this issue.

It's been a few years since I've owned anything but an early A, but don't the later As have a gas tank vent tube that connects towards the top of the filler neck? Any chance the lack of this on the early As is causing the issue?

I have my early A filler neck out of the vehicle, so I can post some pictures for the end that goes inside the gas tank. Maybe a later A owner can post a photo of theirs in that area so we can see the difference.

I plan to test this theory by tapping my filler neck and running a vent tube down to my fuel cell, but I'm a long way from being ready for accomplishing this.

How about raising the filler opening in the quarter panel as high as possible and installing a flip top cap. Then mod the filler pipe as needed.
Seems like I saw that pictured someplace. Darned if I know where!

Otherwise, the restricter with the flap seems to get good results for several folks.

BC

Years ago I took out a chunk of the filler neck and replaced it with a clear hose. Was as close to the tank as possible. When the filling the car I would open the trunk and just observe the chunk of hose. When filling the tank at anything above a trickle you get enough back splashing to see it in the hose before the tank is fill....seemed simple enough to me at the time....

I've been watching this thread for a while, but IMHO I don't believe the true cause of this issue has been identified. I don't see how a flapper valve has any ability to prevent this issue.

It's been a few years since I've owned anything but an early A, but don't the later As have a gas tank vent tube that connects towards the top of the filler neck? Any chance the lack of this on the early As is causing the issue?

I have my early A filler neck out of the vehicle, so I can post some pictures for the end that goes inside the gas tank. Maybe a later A owner can post a photo of theirs in that area so we can see the difference.

I plan to test this theory by tapping my filler neck and running a vent tube down to my fuel cell, but I'm a long way from being ready for accomplishing this.

I use the filler neck mod. (but my early A has a vent near the top it look to be from the factory) As a kid (a long time ago) I worked on service station pumps and they used to be pressure activated shut offs. (there was a small tube in the gas nozzle that would detect the back pressure of the gas as it filled up). Sometimes we had to replace and calibrate the venturi to make them work. later on they just started replacing the nozzle(easier). using the flap mod it makes the air flow past the gas nozzle a little faster causing greater back pressure and that's what kicks the nozzle off,if it's installed right by being sealed good to the tube so air flows only through the hole or you just slice the tube and weld in a washer that has a hole just big enough to let the nozzle in. if you have no back pressure then no kick off of the nozzle. but it'd help if the tube was angled slightly different like the later A's are, that long slope just sucks! AND it doesn't do anything for driving and turning spills. only a good cap or different filler tube design will help there.

'Tell ya. Unless you guys

have for CERTAIN tight leakproof caps, and I'm not thinking factory stockers here

vent the trunk for MINUTES after a fill up

This could lead to what we used to call in the natural gas business "a rapid expansion."

This is why marine bilges are required to have vent blowers

jack-beckman-nhra-crash.jpg

lol......no worry's dude, air tight, and leak proof.....
higgs

I put in an order today . I will see if they will help with the spills. If the dont I will try welding in a washer type restricter in the tube. I have some extras on hand.

'Tell ya. Unless you guys

have for CERTAIN tight leakproof caps, and I'm not thinking factory stockers here

vent the trunk for MINUTES after a fill up

This could lead to what we used to call in the natural gas business "a rapid expansion."

This is why marine bilges are required to have vent blowers

jack-beckman-nhra-crash.jpg

I would never vent my tank into trunk!! That is what you are doing with that setup! Sorry just saying what I believe.#-oMT

On my '65 Valiant the fill neck is vented in the trunk. Not TO the trunk, but in it. There is a tiny metal tube that goes thru a second hole in the trunk floor filler seal. It has a rubber hose at the fill neck near the fill end that bridges from the fill neck to the tube. It was one of the first things that I replaced on the car.

Interesting thoughts on blocking some of the air flow so that it's more forced to act against the end the filler rather than just allowing free air flow thru the bellows seal on the filler. All modern cars have the fill neck cap's seal at an angle of about 45° I've been thinking about doing something like Hollywood's deal, but bring the fill neck up to a flip-lid box (sealed with a drain to the outside) that is near the trunk lid gasket. Open the trunk, flip the lid, remove the cap to fill. Route the filler neck first down to the trunk floor and then across it. I don't think that I could go thru the floor further outboard w/o having to punch a large hole thru the 'frame' to reach the fill port in the tank.
I suppose that one could go under the 'frame' piece and into the tank near the bottom IF the original fill hole was plugged with something that had a large vent hose attached to it and the fill neck near the cap flange. This hose could not have a low spot in it or it will "p-trap" with gasoline and stop further filling.

Yeah, my 64 had the same vent ntsqd described. I thought that was factory. Eager to see how retractable's review on that restrictor works out. I'm getting close to painting my Valiant and I really don't want to ruin my new paint with the leaks I was having before.

These restrictors will not vent into the trunk-- I will not do that either. The factory vent tube goes out buy the filler tube where it goes into the tank. They should not change that at all. I have My 66 Valiant 2 dr with new paint this week. I dont want to have that paint ruined. My wagon is very hard to fill also and I will install them on it also. I will post on how they work. My other idea is to weld a washer in the filler tube with a opening to just get the filler nozzle to fill.

Yes please keep us updated to see if it works or not. I have a bad back, and I'm tall and my filler is low. It really sucks to hunch over and fill the tank slowly. Sometimes I stand on my knees and do it. I bet i look like a tard At the gas station. I'd really like to set the car up to set it and forget it.

Yes please keep us updated to see if it works or not. I have a bad back, and I'm tall and my filler is low. It really sucks to hunch over and fill the tank slowly. Sometimes I stand on my knees and do it. I bet i look like a tard At the gas station. I'd really like to set the car up to set it and forget it.

dam, how tall are you?

Only 6 1. But I have sciatica which doesn't allow me to comfortably bend down far enough to get to the low fuel filler.

I put in an order today . I will see if they will help with the spills. If the dont I will try welding in a washer type restricter in the tube. I have some extras on hand.

If it spills going around a corner it won't help with that (slow it down maybe but nit stop it.)
I'd get one of the caps from slantsix dan or one of the custom made ones made by a member on here. (can't remember the username offhand though) they do look nice, not original but nice just the same and it'll seal up the top opening just fine. if it blows back from filling it them the fillerneck mod works great. I've done 3 so far and they were a pita to do but did stop the kickback from the fuel nozzle spillage.

Damraider on FABO makes the cap, I have one but haven't tried it as my car is still in paint. It has no vent so it will stop the fuel sloshing problem but I agree it will not the spill back when filling problem.

Time for me to report on the restriction I installed. I put one in the 66 Valiant wagon and one in the 66 Barracuda. It helps with filling and the nozzle shuts off quicker. I WONT say it is a complete fix. I think a washer welded in the filler tube would be as good or better. It would just take time to remove the filler tube and do the welding. I don't have any problem with gas spilling when driving and I have original gas caps.

I finally got around to ordering one of these flappers. Installed today.

I broke 4 tabs off the top. Left the 3 centers intact. Tweaked the 3 top tabs and bottom tabs to make the piece smaller in diameter. Inserted the top half first then bottom so it sits at an angle. Used a mallet and screw driver to tap bottom teeth in to make piece sit perpendicular to the tube. It's installed about 2.5" deep

I tried the wooden dowel trick.. it was just a waste of $4 from home depot as I could not possibly see a way that work what so ever. Just way too tight a fit. In fact you cant even open the flap inside the tube until it sits up straight. So that tapered dowel trick would be impossible.

Now for results.
I can set the pump and forget it on the low setting (on the high it took about 10 seconds until it started backin up and spewing gas.)
It will shut itself off but will spew gas out the filler once the tank is full. So just shut it off before it gets to that point. I no longer need to hold the pump at a 45-90 angle the entire time.

Thanks for getting back to us, looks good. I wonder if the splash back would be less it there wasn't as many air holes around the outside.

Later model filler tubes divide the tube at an angle so the nozzle fits in at the top and it tapers to less than half the diameter at the bottom so the air can vent up the top half from the bottom. Newer Fords use a tube within a tube.

At the risk of raising SSD's ire, I will say I've bought from Layson's three times in the last two years, and all three transactions went through pleasantly enough. I've had two additional phone calls with them regarding their process on the Early-A trim headlight rings and while I'm disappointed with the timeline (or lack thereof) I do appreciate that they haven't done anything shady like offering to take my money and put me on a wait list (not that I would), but have instead told me the best thing to do is check back in a few months.

Based on those five experiences, I was planning on calling them again and asking them about those items above (just to bring this back around to what the actual topic is about), and see if I could find out more info. I would expect they would handle my questions in the same courteous manner they have in the past.

Not that I'm defending what happened to others, but I've heard several other people with positive Layson's experiences recently, and that's what led me to give them a shot. Glad I did. They saved me a ton of headaches tracking down a lower quarter panel patch (which fit perfectly).

I'll call Rick and the guys and report back what I find out.

At the risk of raising SSD's ire, I will say I've bought from Layson's three times in the last two years, and all three transactions went through pleasantly enough.

That doesn't raise my ire at all. I'm glad to hear it. Perhaps one day stories like yours will be the norm with Layson's.

That doesn't raise my ire at all. I'm glad to hear it. Perhaps one day stories like yours will be the norm with Layson's.

I agree. I don't think there's any excuse at all for the record they have. Just wanted to share my experience and from what I've seen, there at least appears to be a concerted effort to be friendly and honest. I really hope that is the case for everyone now, because I love the potential of what Layson's has to offer the Early A crowd.

Haven't had a chance to call them yet. Going to try to this afternoon and ask about their filler mod options. I have a bunch of other parts that I need to buy first, but if it's what it seems, that may be a good fit for my build.

-
Back