Filler neck relocation

-

busted knuckles

Reaction score
Hi, I am considering moving/altering my fuel tank filler neck so that I fill it up from inside the trunk. I dont want an ugly locking gas cap, dont want anyone siphoning my gas, and also dont want to blow myself up. What can I do to accomplish this safely? Or should I avoid this?

Make sure you locate the tank vent in a place very close to where it was before. And make sure the actual cap has a tight seal. I went thru some extremes to keep my outside filler with my fuel cell.

car stuff (2)a.jpg

As long as the cap is air/vapor tight and you vent the tank to the outside it will be fine as far as driving fumes. The problem could lie in filling your tank. Gasoline fumes are heavier than air so they will drift down. When you fill your tank the fumes could settle to the lowest parts of your trunk and even travel through the backseat area and settle at the floor of you car.

Chuck

Thanks for the replies. I never thought of the fumes from filling. I guess the placement of the tank is no good for putting the filler opening behind the license plate? Has anyone done that?

I know that the early 70's (71-74) Satelittes, GTX's and Road Runners all had the filler behind the license plate. Always seemed to slosh fuel out of the filler when accelerating with a half full to full tank. I suppose a well sealed cap might prevent it, but i know from talking to many who have owned them, it was a bit of a problem. With todays fuel prices who really wants to be dumping fuel out the back every time you accelerate?

The biggest problem I find is that you have to fill so slowly or the nozzle
will shut off. Then when you do get it close to full, it splashes out and
eats the paint. Has anyone out there re-formed the tube to help the problem?
toolmanmike

My '77 Cordoba has a license plate fill, I have not had any problems with the spilling and filling.

Chuck

-
Back