Filling a ding on a big block valve cover advice needed!

-
Just use what post#20 suggested if you don't want to use metal to metal filler.

OK, here is how it is done. I do this all the time when I powdercoat valve covers, motorcycle fenders, atc. It also works on Stainless Steel Trim. This explanation could take a long time, but I will give you the short version. On the back side of that dent, you will see the where it bumps out. With the FRONT side od the dent properly supported against a HARD surface (preferably an anvil or something similar) gently tap on the back side of the dent with a hammer (ball peen works well). the idea is to stretch the metal back out slowly. If the FRONT side of the dent is not properly supported against something hard, you can easily wind up with a dent that now pops OUT. When it looks close, go to the front side of the dent to assess it. I use a felt tip marker like guide coat by marking on the dent and then blocking the area with 120 dry sandpaper on a hard rubber sanding block. Don't worry, you wont go through the metal. You will be able to see any low spots because there will still be some marker ink in them. then carefully determine where the BACK side of the low spot is, mark it with a small circle, carefully support the part of the front side where the low spot is on the hard surface and gently tap on the back side where you made the mark. repeat until the dent is gone. It's really easy.

I had a body man friend do a set of stock valve covers for me. I removed the tabs and just wanted them smooth for factory '67 turquoise engine paint. He just treated them like a small section of outer body skin - metal worked them as well as he could with stud gun and hammer/dolly, thin coat of filler, lots of block sanding, then painted in a booth with single stage PPG.

Came out awesome.

Try this.

Bolt the valve cover to a head that's not assembled. Take a torch with a rosebud tip and heat around the dent. Propane torch will also work. Don't get it red hot. As soon as it's heated up take a wet sponge and apply it to the area of the dent. The metal will shrink and possibly pop the dent out. Keep working it however let the VC cool between applications. I've waited as long as the next day before trying it again.

Make sure you have the VC bolted to a head. If not the heat may warp the VC

-
Back