Filling in holes

-

FlyingFalcon

Reaction score
Hey there FABO.

My Swinger has holes for side trim, but no trim. I've been debating putting it back on. Not sure if I want to, but I'm trying to figure out how hard it would be to fill in all the holes. If anyone has done this and could chime in about it, I would appreciate it

weld them shut. put the wire across the hole and arc it so you have a spider web looking across and then start on the edge and move in. With the spider web there is no need to get behind it, some of the holes you cant get behind

Then when grinding ....watch the heat ....it is key now getting it too hot or grinding too much and then sand ....watch the heat....

really time consuming but if your patient the result can look like there was never a hole there

Attachments

• CIMG2645.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 348
  • CIMG2649.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 345
  • CIMG2656.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 324
  • CIMG2662.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 323
you can use a piece of copper to back the hole to support the weld pool so you don't get as much of the googly grapes on the backside. a six inch piece of copper with on end flat and angled (there is also a tool made for this), and maybe a helper to hold it up against the holes. makes closing up the hole so much easier if you can get to backside. Clean up and corrosion protect on the backside if possible.

I use a magnet to hold a small bit of sheet metal on the backside and then weld over it. I only have a TIG which may be a little more work but leaves a little less mess.

Hey there FABO.

My Swinger has holes for side trim, but no trim. I've been debating putting it back on. Not sure if I want to, but I'm trying to figure out how hard it would be to fill in all the holes. If anyone has done this and could chime in about it, I would appreciate it

I've opted to have my trim deleted, the work (welding up the holes) is going to be done at the body shop. If you decide to go with the trim, I have a complete set, correct for a '70 Dart

Maybe it's me doing it bassackwards lol . I usually do it whichever way I can get in most comfortable position.

I have used a nail head to fit in the hole before.
Tack the head on both sides, then cut the sharp ''handle'' end off with a cut off disc, and finish welding making sure you skip around and don't spend too much time in one spot. Grind smooth making sure you don't heat the panel up too much.
The back side will be automatically smooth and will almost be an invisible repair.
The copper spoon or disc on the back side works well too.
The copper will absorb the heat of the weld as well, reducing distortion.

I did it to mine also. Rani is correct in that there are some places you can't get into. I ended up like she said and draped wire across the holes then tacked it in.

I saw a guy use steel pop rivet's in the holes then weld over them, kind of ugly on the inside but they finished off nice.

-
Back