Finally, a solution to the 5 foot Promatic shifter cable.

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
Hurst's 5 foot cable would probably be fine for something like a swamp buggy where the shifter is 3-4 feet above the trans, but it sure sux to figure out how to run all the extra cable in an A body.
On top of that, the 5 foot snake is the one and only choice for the Promatic series shifters.
I emailed Hurst's tech line and asked about the 36 inch universal cable and mentioned my concerns about BOTH ends of the cable being different as well as the attaching methods to the trans and shifter both.
Yea, two days later they answered with "Use either one".
(Somebody actually gets paid to send responses like that apparently)

Well, with more looking I found the cables B&M has for their Pro Ratchet, Pro Stick, and Pro Bandit shifters that once received does look exactly like the Hurst cable with the correct ends and all, (the eyelet might be a bit larger but I can fix that) but their cables come in 3-4-and 5 foot versions and look as well as feel quite a bit tougher than the Hurst cables.

I'm going to start with the B&M Super Duty Race cable in the 3 foot version and see how it all goes.
I won't need to worry about how I route 5 feet (2 extra feet) of cable in an engine compartment with a hot motor and hedders.
I was very careful to keep it as far as possible from heat sources and even wrapped the hedder tube closest to it, but the cable only made it 3 years before the casing was disintegrating and the inner cable seizing in the housing.
It should also be a lot more accurate being only 3 feet instead of 5 and they make a point of mentioning the low .015 per foot backlash of the Heavy Duty Race cable.
The cable housing itself is larger and stiffer than the Hurst cable as well, and the dust covers on the moving parts fit MUCH better, tighter and heavier material than the Hurst cables.

We'll see.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-80831

bmm-80831_ml.jpg

Same route I took decade ago, still had problems... went 4 spd. no problems

Love the function of shifter itself and especially after some fine tuning of the cogs and centering spring.
The cable is definitely the weak point and this new cable should solve that.
I drove sticks for too many years and just got tired of it, especially for a daily driver.

Thanks for that info! Looking forward to hearing the results

Sure, I'll post the results as soon as the Wife lets me off Honeydo duty, and I get a chance to get it in there.
It never occurred to me that something for my car would take weeks to get to. :D

is there any way you can place the car in front of something on the honey dew list?
like, if "mowing the lawn" is on there, park the car in front of the lawnmower so that in order to get to the HD list, you got to do the car first

Dont you just love the 5 feet of rigid cable you have to snake through the motor? I think I had mine go forward down the passenger footwell then under the steering linkage, around the pan and back to the trans. I believe I had a few zip ties down there too.

I've gone through the same thing. Not sure what you're working on but on my 68 Dart 727 the 3 foot is too short. Bends too tight and the cable binds. I use the 4 foot and it fits way better than the 5 foot but there is still a spot that gets close to my header but a length of fuel line slipped onto the cable seems to be plenty of protection. Another issue I had is that the eyelet on the shifter side of the b&m cable is bigger than the on on the Hurst cable. When you push or pull to shift the first bit of movement is just taking up the slack in the eyelet, and not moving the cable, so it wouldn't fully get into gear sometimes (Not sure if that makes sense) After many hours of hair pulling attempts to adjust the cable I figured it out.. I ended up making a bushing that took the slop out of the eyelet and problem solved. Not sure if you will have the same problem, but just a heads up. I also might still have the 3 foot cable around if you want to give it a go, cover the shipping and I'll send it out.

upload_2017-9-6_6-13-35.jpeg

This is what happened to my cable the first show that I went to this season. Luckily I was able to crawl underneath and put it into drive for the short ride home. I replaced it with another LOOOOOOONG Hurst cable but wrapped it with a heat sheilding material and tied it back away from the driver's side header. That's the problem with universal parts, they're made to fit 100's of vehicles. I'll check out the B&M cable if I have the problem again. Thanks!

View attachment 1715089508
This is what happened to my cable the first show that I went to this season. Luckily I was able to crawl underneath and put it into drive for the short ride home. I replaced it with another LOOOOOOONG Hurst cable but wrapped it with a heat sheilding material and tied it back away from the driver's side header. That's the problem with universal parts, they're made to fit 100's of vehicles. I'll check out the B&M cable if I have the problem again. Thanks!
I`ve had 4 diff. hotrods, 3 have had cable type shifters. The best one so far has been the turbo action cheeta set up. 5 ft cable on a 68 fastback , heat protection that is common sense, no problems. A shorter cable on mine would cause binding and quicker wear --JMO

-
Back