Finally back into Mopar

-

GeorgeGerhard

Reaction score
I recently purchased this Dart from ebay. I have not had a Mopar or any project car in 15 years, raising children can drain the resources.
I bought this car because there was no rust anywhere, or it had been repaired.
The 440 is very strong .030 over pistons and a cam.
Actually I was going to sell it, as it is probably too powerful for me. I just installed a new Holley 750cfm and new header plugs this weekend.
Next the control arm bushings, and yes the lower one need replacement.
The car is nice, there are some wiring issues to deal with.
I would appreciate if someone can tell me whose headers these are, I never saw fenderwell headers that had only one or two tubes going through the wells.
Steering box has alot of play, I was not able to remove it.
thank you
George

SANY0889.jpg

SANY0890.jpg

SANY0891.jpg

SANY0893.jpg

SANY0897.jpg

Hey George sweet car, I work in Shelton, I would love to see the car sometime!

Congratulations on getting back into Mopars. So you want to sell it because you think it is too powerful for you? I'm sure it is a handful at the moment w/ the slack in the steering and suspension. The manual steering box can be adjusted to take out the slack, but with a 440 sitting in the way it may be little difficult to get too. It could be a combination of the pitman arm, steering box, and the rest of the suspension. If you dont mind me asking, why were you not able to get the steering box off? As for the headers I'm sure that someone will know what there are. I could e-mail your the specks on how to adjust the box if you like.

Overrever
I just sent the steering box to firm feel for rebuilding. I just installed new upper and lower control arm bushings. The upper arms are reinstalled I am waiting for new strut rod bushings before putting in the lower arms. I purchased new lower balljoints, the tie rod ends and upper balljoints were replaced by the previous owner.
I removed the steering column, three bolts on the box, the center link and got the box out. I just purchased the kit to rebuild the end of the coupling. It did not seem to have much play, but for $30 and while it is out why not just do it?

Great! so are you changing your mind about selling the car now? I hope that you keep it for a while anyway. It looks to be a fast little street car.
Once you get the suspension/steering & wiring fixed it will be a hell of a street car, I'm sure.
If you do replace the complete wiring harness be careful under the dash not to break the prongs off of the back of the instrument cluster.
If you dont mind me asking, what rear end & gears does it have?

Welcome back to Mopars. I too came back after many years. I'm glad I did.
Looks like a really fun Dart you've got there. Welcome and have fun!!!!
toolmanmike

Get U some street slicks on it. That way it wont go sideways/fishtail quite as bad.

I just sent the steering box to firm feel for rebuilding.

I've heard nothing but good about that company's abilities.

It did not seem to have much play, but for $30 and while it is out why not just do it?
Ah, a most excellent attitude for creating perfection (and draining the wallet). Congratulations!

- Erik

64 Valiant, 170 3-spd
82 Volvo wagon, 5.0 5-spd :)

I was thinking of the car I had over the years

At 16 my first car was a 66 GTO I paid $150 for it. I was just learning my way around a car. I installed new balljoints tie rods, A few months later a timing chain. I went through rear tires constantly from doing burnouts.

1966 Belvedere
1968 Super Bee
1967 Chevy SS
1969 Satellite
1970 Challenger
1968 GTX
1971 Challenger
1966 Satellite convertible
1966 Satellite hardtop
1965 Coronet
1966 Cadillac (I got it real cheap)
1971 Roadrunner
all of these cars I did performance work on

then I had a long span with no car :(

regards
George

I see you slid to the dark side and bought a Chevy SS. Welcome back into the family of Mopar.

EVERYONE is Welcomed here at the Church of MOPAR=P~ Come on in and drool over the most beautiful and classy cars ever assembled.

-
Back