Finally getting to it!!! 1970 Duster 340

-
This is the first time in many, many years that life has leveled out to a point where I could even consider working on my car. My wife and the car have been very therapeutic for me.

Hi Kevin, I'll surely be following your build now. I've just spent some time reading all of this. Your background in the OR must serve you well in this restro - attention to details and all. I too recognized the blue wrap - I was a medial logistician in the AF and ordered all of everything that the hospitals and clinics I served in used. When I work on my Dart, I call it Mopar Therapy. It helps, is probably similar in cost but I end up with something much better in the end - a bitchin' ride.

Best of luck!

George

Hi George. Thanks for following my build. I was on Vacation last week. It felt good to get away from the work rat race and enjoy the surf and sand.
I bought a new fuel sending unit a while ago from a vender who claimed it was made by the original manufacturer.
As you can see from the side-by-side comparison, there is definitely an appearance difference in shape and placement of the rheostat. I cleaned up the original unit and bench tested it with my fuel gauge. Only minor tweeking of the endpoints was needed and the sender was linear. The repro unit wasn't even close and I doubt that I would ever be able to get it to be functional.
I swapped out the original brass float for the plastic float and it looks like the original will be going into my new fuel tank.

FJR Doc 380-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I originally decided that I wasn't going to stamp the part number on my fan.........but I changed my mind and tried to duplicate the original font and size. I had it made by Discount Rubber Stamps online. Overall, I think that it is a pretty good match to the original stamping. I probably won't worry about reproducing the part number or date code on the fan clutch but I might change my mind later.

FJR Doc 381-1.jpg

FJR Doc 381-2.jpg

Might as well stamp the fan now, it will bother you later.

Nice work; Although I always wonder why the "I paid someone to do my bodywork, and I'm slapping on the shiny parts" threads always get more play then the guy diving in feet first and doing it all. *shrugs*

Cool car man!

It probably will. I treated the fan clutch with RPM. Not sure what I would need to do to clean it off so that the stamping would stick. I am pretty anal about this restoration and I probably will consider stamping the clutch.

Believe me PoisonDart74 I would rather have done the body work myself. At the time, I didn't have the welding skills to replace the panels that needed to be removed. I have since taken votech welding classes and feel that I would be able to handle this aspect of a car restoration. I doubt that I will get to the point that I have the facility or desire to do the paint work. It's not my area of expertise and I think that it's best to leave that up to the pros. If a problem arises in the future with paint adhesion or bubbling, it's up to them to make it right.
As much as I would love to be able to do it all, I realize that I can't. My full-time job eats up 12 hours of my time a day as well as 5-6 hours of my time over the weekend. At least I didn't drop the entire car off at a restoration shop and have them do the entire job.

Believe me PoisonDart74 I would rather have done the body work myself. At the time, I didn't have the welding skills to replace the panels that needed to be removed. I have since taken votech welding classes and feel that I would be able to handle this aspect of a car restoration. I doubt that I will get to the point that I have the facility or desire to do the paint work. It's not my area of expertise and I think that it's best to leave that up to the pros. If a problem arises in the future with paint adhesion or bubbling, it's up to them to make it right.
As much as I would love to be able to do it all, I realize that I can't. My full-time job eats up 12 hours of my time a day as well as 5-6 hours of my time over the weekend. At least I didn't drop the entire car off at a restoration shop and have them do the entire job.

In your situation you made the right choice by farming the car out, don't let anybody miss-lead you body work takes forever.
I worked all day yesterday on sanding the underside of my hood, front grill filler and air cleaner.
These parts were already sandblasted and primed. 8 hrs, I am as picky as you.
Spent 4 hrs today painting the parts.
I am whipped, sometimes a hobby becomes an obsession.

Right on, it's always that time vs money, and it's rare to have both. Glad you could find the time to do this.

Thanks for sharing!

Glued my fuel tank insulation mat on today and installed the filler neck grommet. Just have to get a sending unit filter before I can lock the sender in place.
My original Carter AVS carburator tag was missing when I sent it out for restoration. There was a small fragment of the copper colored tag left under one of the screws.
I ordered a reproduction tag off eBay. Unfortunately, I found out the nobody offers the copper anodized color. I was told that the colors available are mostly for big block and hemi cars.
I tried to find a copper looking anodized paint but was unsuccessful. I did locate a shiney copper paint at a local craft shop that came very close to the original color. It's a small detail but I'm trying to keep things as close to original as possible.
My brother and I will be making our annual pilgrimage to Carlisle next Friday. I have my "shopping" list of needed parts that I will be looking for. My list has definitely gotten smaller since last year.

FJR Doc 388-1.jpg

Carb tag in place and right front brake assembly completed. Radio suppressor installed. I hope to finish the left front brake assembly this weekend.

FJR Doc 389-1.jpg

FJR Doc 389-2.jpg

FJR Doc 389-3.jpg

This car is going to look FAR better than ANY car that ever rolled off an assembly line. The attention to detail is amazing.

Thanks for the compliments guys. I do have a tendency to be a bit anal (AKA OCD) about things but that's just my nature.

My brother and I made our annual trek to Chrysler's at Carlisle on Friday. The weather was great and we had a wonderful time. My brother and I have a shared passion for Mopars that was passed along by our father. I always enjoy the time we get to share looking at parts and cars.
We had an opportunity to look at Dave Moore's amazing survivor TX9 '72 Duster 340. The car is an amazing example of history that Dave has lovingly cared for.
I was able to purchase some parts for my car that I had on my shopping list. I found a NOS fuel sending unit and decided to get it. I'll keep my original for a backup.
I also purchased some 15 inch Rallye trim rings from Coker Tire. I decided that I wasn't going to spend crazy money on originals and I thought that their repros looked pretty close. I worked today on polishing the outer rim of the Rallye to make it look like a closer match to NOS. Pictures included didn't really show up as well as I had hoped.
Also finished adjusting the horn and giving it a final coat of paint.

FJR Doc 394-1.jpg

FJR Doc 394-2.jpg

FJR Doc 394-3.jpg

FJR Doc 394-4.jpg

FJR Doc 394-5.jpg

Thanks for the kudo's Kevin:D Nice meeting you and your brother under the tent...Maybe I will get the chance to see you guy's again next year with the 70:thumblef: After last weekend you should have enough inspiration to carry you through the rest of your build! Tim & I had another terrific time and looking forward to MCACN in November...Keep up the incredible work! Dave

From everything I have read I do not think you would have been happy with a restoration shops work. Compared to your attention to detail, they would not hold a candle to you!!!!! And I think that I read that you are a pediatric surgeon, you just keep being OCD no one will ever complain, no better place to be anal about details. Best of wishes and respect to you.

Thanks Paulz. I enjoy doing as much work on my car as possible. I've always enjoyed doing mechanical work. I am a podiatric surgeon........foot and ankle procedures.

LOL , I am sorry, it happened to be quite late when I was reading your thread but I couldn't stop so I was probably cross-eyed when I read that part. Its a miracle I got that close, but its still great that you take the post, I have learned a lot from your writings. I have the utmost respect for your work!!!!!!

I have come to the conclusion that my body man has been screwing me over for the past 26 months. I talked to a local Mopar restoration shop in my town, showed them pictures of my car after sandblasting and current status with the work that has been done. His recommendation was "get your car out of there now!" I have been grossly overcharged and the car is not even close to paint or primer.
The current shop has bled me dry financially and I feel used, cheated and criminalized. At this point, I need to determine my best course of action. I need to get my car out of the shop. A law official that I know suggested small claims court while another ex-Sheriff felt that my case would be difficult to prove.
I just don't understand how someone can treat another human being/ car enthusiast this way. Unfortunately, this scenario seems to be all to prevalent in the auto restoration world.

Hope the outcome turns out good and you can get your car back from him in a rolling condition and not by pieces. If that would be the case Kevin I would come help out and haul it out with my truck/trailer if needed. I know my shop guy will get you all fixed up.

-
Back