Finally got a chance to do some work this week!

-

mattsmopars

Reaction score
Well I finally got a chance to work on the new engine for my duster this week. I bought the car Last October, and the engine went down shortly after due to the camshaft taking a crap. After a complete rebuild I finally got it painted and back in the car. With a little luck I might hear her run again before to long. Here is a few pictures.
Matt

IMG_0942.jpg

IMG_0959.jpg

IMG_0960.jpg

Daddgumm, thats a sweet looking Smallblock.
Whats the specs?

Good Luck on the fireup.

I don't have any idea what type of cam the engine had in it when it went down. I bought the car running driving with a fresh rebuild. It did not have but very few miles on it before it went down. Anyway it should be better now. Its the matching number 340 block, .040 with L2316 pistons that a fellow member helped me out with. Steel crank, X heads,RPM air gap intake, and an engle cam. Atleast good for 100 RWHP ! Don't you think?
Thanks for the compliments fellows.
Matt

I don't have any idea what type of cam the engine had in it when it went down. I bought the car running driving with a fresh rebuild. It did not have but very few miles on it before it went down. Anyway it should be better now. Its the matching number 340 block, .040 with L2316 pistons that a fellow member helped me out with. Steel crank, X heads,RPM air gap intake, and an engle cam. Atleast good for 100 RWHP ! Don't you think?
Thanks for the compliments fellows.
Matt

Maybe 110 or 115 if your lucky

Always like to stay conservative on my horsepower numbers, that way I might be suprised.
Matt

Always like to stay conservative on my horsepower numbers, that way I might be suprised.
Matt

That is awesome. Always aim low and you will never be upset when you do not reach your goal. Keeps you happy lol. That is the best outlook on life

Make sure you add a break in additive when you fire it off. The modern oils do not have the zinc needed and you can kill a flate tappet cam, even if you have the break in goop on the cam

Comp Cams part # 159

hey matt if it craps we can put the old crate motor in it we found in the woods lol the one we winch in the trailer , hey you got a spare anytime mikey

NOt sure the type of headers that is on it as they were on it when I bought it. As for the break in oil I Have got Joe Gibbs break in oil in it, so that should take care of it. I also have the cam lathered up good, so I hope its good shape.
Matt

That's a show motor for sure. And Cal Custom valve covers??? I haven't seen a pair in decades!

Thanks for the compliments. Yes, they are cal custom valve covers. I really like the look of those valve covers.
Matt

Matt, BTW I'm over in Franklin. Both my daughters are in school @ UT in Kxville so I run through Cookeville on a regular basis.

Well, I got the OL Gal to start about 10:30 last night. I bet the neighbors loved me after breaking in the cam for 20 min. at 1800rpm. At least i had the mufflers on it and not open headers LOL! IT did well as for the first start up I had a wire broken into on the positve side of the coil, but once I located that , it started and ran no problems. The motor is basically built to stock 68-71 340 specs, it has TRW L2316 forged pistons that come out about 10.5-1 compression, X heads, Engle solid lift cam , topped off with RPM airgap and a Holley DP. I was stoked about getting it running again. BTW thanks to all the members that have helped with parts and advice along the way!
Matt

Glad to hear its running and glad to hear you didnt have any popos show up at the door lol

-
Back