Finally got her to idle!

-

dart_68

Reaction score
Got the carb adjusted and not only does it idle but no longer has a tip in bog. Carb was adjusted off the car and runs like you see without touching it further. Idles about 750.

I'm jealous! my 72 Charger has a 360 swap that's waiting for me in the garage while I finishing painting my house. Damn chores.
What initial timing are you running?

I'm jealous! my 72 Charger has a 360 swap that's waiting for me in the garage while I finishing painting my house. Damn chores.
What initial timing are you running?
I set it up @ 15* before I fired it up but haven't been able to verify where it's at running 'cuz I can't see the marks on the balancer. I'm going to try at night and maybe then I can see it. Also going to try to highlight the marks to show up better.

I set it up @ 15* before I fired it up but haven't been able to verify where it's at running 'cuz I can't see the marks on the balancer. I'm going to try at night and maybe then I can see it. Also going to try to highlight the marks to show up better.

Turn the motor over by hand and mark the balancer with a white paint pen...

Update -

Finally was able to get the motor's initial timing set. It WAS at 40* BTDC! No wonder I couldn't see the marks! Set it to 18* but I had to turn up the idle screw to get it to stay running. I think I had to open up the primaries just a bit too much so I tried to adjust the secondaries. Now, I replaced the adjusting screw that was stock with an allen screw so I could better adjust it while running......Yeah....good luck with that....With the engine idling it rocks a bit so that was a problem and the engine was at temp so EVERYTHING was friggen hot! I think I need to get an allen wrench that's longer as the one I was using was maybe 2" long.

Your engine is a PERFECT candidate for vacuum advance connected to manifold vacuum. This will give you more timing at idle.
Going from 40* BTDC to 18*, you lost idle speed. This shows that the engine liked the additional idle timing. You may also find that at 18*, the engine runs hotter & has an off idle tip in hesitation.

Your engine is a PERFECT candidate for vacuum advance connected to manifold vacuum. This will give you more timing at idle.
Going from 40* BTDC to 18*, you lost idle speed. This shows that the engine liked the additional idle timing. You may also find that at 18*, the engine runs hotter & has an off idle tip in hesitation.
I agree. I doesn't have exactly a tip in hesitation but you can hear it bog a little if I open it up fast. Like it takes a half second or less to catch up.

I agree. I doesn't have exactly a tip in hesitation but you can hear it bog a little if I open it up fast. Like it takes a half second or less to catch up.
Sounds like a momentary lean stumble, just need to adjust the shooters to fix (probably go up a couple sizes)....easy peasy.

If I ever catch the guy that did this to my driveway...why I'll murderlise him! Teehee! Oh wait, was that my outside voice?

Duster tire tracks.jpg

Last edited:
-
Back