Finally solved my over heating problem!!!

-

Tony Fields

That's How I Roll
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I wanted to start my own thread on this topic instead of walking over one started by someone else.

After we installed the 22" 3 row Champion Radiator and electric fans we still had problems.

Well, the last couple of days I have been hard at it. After reading most all of the posts
in the cooling section I decided to ditch the electric fans. Best move I have made concerning
the problem. I had to use a 1" spacer to clear the nut on the power steering pulley. I also
had to ditch the fan shroud.....wouldn't fit.

This is just me talking but I would never use the electric fan set up again. I flow so much more air now.
Took it into town this evening to see what she would do in stop and go traffic.
The highest it got was 185. As I was leaving town with no stop lights or traffic the temps came
down to about 170 and this was at about 35 mph. There was too much radiator not
covered by the electric fans...no wonder it got hot.

I'm running a 160 stat...may have to change that at a later date. By the time I got home she was still running 170.
I also put some space between the tranny cooler and radiator.
Now the air can flow around and thru the cooler.

Without the info in the other post's I would have been lost. Thanks to all and their ideas.

I do really like the Champion Radiator....it works great.

Here's some before and after pics

View attachment DSCF0085.JPG

View attachment DSCF0087.JPG

This is where these fans belong...not on the 'Cuda

View attachment DSCF0180.JPG

I'm going to install a polished piece of aluminum over
the top of the fan so I don't cut any fingers off:pale:
More pics to come later on that.

Many thanks to Thelma for helping me attach the fan to the pulley.
I couldn't have done it without her. This is a job where you need as
many hands as you can get.

View attachment DSCF0176.JPG

View attachment DSCF0177.JPG

View attachment DSCF0182.JPG

I used two of the rectangle blocks of rubber that were
part of the mounting hardware for the fans and put it
between the cooler and radiator.
View attachment DSCF0178.JPG

I'm a very happy camper now!:D

Very nice Tony! I am glad you got it sorted out.

i know some people get them to work,but 95%of overheating issues are people using electric fans.well maybe not that many,but a bunch

Oh, those electric fans. I had two as well, could barely feel the air moving if I put my hand in front of it. Mechanical fan blows dirt, leaves and everything nearby out of the way. I cut up two of those fans you chucked on the ground and made a cool center console out of them. That's all they were good for. They also might make a good computer fan.

Oh, those electric fans. I had two as well, could barely feel the air moving if I put my hand in front of it. Mechanical fan blows dirt, leaves and everything nearby out of the way. I cut up two of those fans you chucked on the ground and made a cool center console out of them. That's all they were good for. They also might make a good computer fan.

No sir. You did not make a cool console.

You made a legendary epic console.

I have the same radiator, with a factory 7 blade steel fan on it.
If you think about if for a second, older cars did not have that much head gasket problems until electric fans were used.

Could I see a picture of this amazing console??

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=312112

Check the thread above /\ and you'll see how I made use of those crappy fans and made them into something neat.

20150420_165210_zpszejmkfpw.jpg

And thanks R.R.R. always feels cool when people like your "art".

glad you got the problem resolved.

if these cars colled adequately when new, and not at some later date, then its a matter of asking yourself what is now different.

all these guys add the alum rad ( or old oem rad ), and that's fine. If its not cooling??? then what changed from new OEM??? cooling capacity of rad??? if oem, needs cleaning or rodding out? pin hole leak? wrong fan? fan spacer not right? ( screw the electric fans period?).... correct if any shroud? rarely, but is block flowing? even if new thermostate, is it properly ( or at all) opening? like this guy found, the trans cooler causing a problem? engine timing/tuning?

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=312112

Check the thread above /\ and you'll see how I made use of those crappy fans and made them into something neat.

20150420_165210_zpszejmkfpw.jpg

And thanks R.R.R. always feels cool when people like your "art".

I never saw that coming from your original comment. Very nice!
That is a work of art. I read your complete thread and enjoyed every picture.

And yes, that is a good use for those fans..just don't use them for cooling.

Tony

i like the space u made between the trans cooler and rad .
i will be doing the same.

Electric fans are not as efficient as mechanical ones...

Glad that you found the problem...

:thumbup: Nice work TnT & glad the Cuda is fixed !!! :D

Saying electric fans will never work, when it looks like you went with the cheapest POS one's you could find, is like parking a Yugo next to a Ferrari and saying you can't figure out why you can't drive very fast. A car is a car right? They both got 4 wheels and a steering wheel so what could possibly be different?

Saying electric fans will never work, when it looks like you went with the cheapest POS one's you could find, is like parking a Yugo next to a Ferrari and saying you can't figure out why you can't drive very fast. A car is a car right? They both got 4 wheels and a steering wheel so what could possibly be different?

Those were the only fans that would fit because of the fan pulley being in the way of
running larger fans. I'm not cheap or stupid so get off my case please.

In Smokey Yunick's book; POWER SECRETS,(originally published 1983) he talks about running his Chevy powered cars at up to 220*, as being normal for his cars, as measured where the water returns to the top of the rad.He then goes on to recommend a normal operating range of 200 to 210, and 200 as a minimum. He alsorecommends a minimum oil temp of 230, and an operating range of 230 to 260, with the 260 being the safe upper limit. And a little research indicates 285 is the typical oil-breakdown temp,and is also mentioned in his book.
I run a 195* stat that actually returns water at those 200 to 210 levels. I suppose it's defective.. But hey, of all the used 195 stats I tested, this one ran the hottest minimum temp, so in it went.Then I added a 7-qt roadrace pan to help keep the oil temps up/down, in which I only run 5 to 5.5qts. I incorporated many of his ideas into my project, and have never been sorry.
So there you have it. If you want to make power, run the water up to 210, and the oil up to 245.Seems to work for me.
BTW; 220 to 230 just happens to be the set points of a lot of, if not most of, modern cooling system electric fans, as found on most sub 4liter engines. Maybe the factory engineers actually got something right. Hmmmmmm.

I had the same problem with the water pump pulley snout. A Ford Focus factory fan, with a little trimming of excess plastic, fit good on my 22" champion radiator. That thing, if it even ever gets up on high, pulls air through the radiator like a tornado.

Hmmmm.... who woulda thunk that 2, count 'em 2, electric fans would not be enough? LOL

Glad you got it fixed and thanks for posting the solution for the benefit of others.

-
Back