Find TDC on SL-6

-

mydart270

myDart270
Reaction score
What is the best and easiest way to find TDC on my SL-6? In the past I rotate crank bolt on an engine stand and watch No. 1 valves until closed. Now engine is in car, fan blade interference causes a hassle to access bolt, removing valve cover is a hassle also but ideal, spark plugs can come out and not a big deal.

How do you rotate newly rebuilt SL-6 after installed to ck timing? Helper (wife) in car and "bump" start, remote starter sw to "bump" start?, use crank bolt and long ratchet?

Many thx...

Try a compression tester gauge in #1 spark plug hole while bumping ignition until compression comes up then finish turning by hand with pull handle at crank. Or just turn crank using a pull handle and socket on bolt at harmonic balancer at crank using same method above. We've also used a screw driver in #1 spark plug hole while turning crank by hand ONLY.

Good luck!

Last edited:
What is the best and easiest way to find TDC on my SL-6? In the past I rotate crank bolt on an engine stand and watch No. 1 valves until closed. Now engine is in car, fan blade interference causes a hassle to access bolt, removing valve cover is a hassle also but ideal, spark plugs can come out and not a big deal.

How do you rotate newly rebuilt SL-6 after installed to ck timing? Helper (wife) in car and "bump" start, remote starter sw to "bump" start?, use crank bolt and long ratchet?

Many thx...

ENGINE BUILDER WAY: Use a bump stop in place of a spark plug in #1 cyl. GENTLY rotate the crank until #1 piston comes up to bump, mark the dampener, rotate in opposite direction until it bumps again mark the dampener, the mid point between the two marks is your true TDC, it eliminates all mechanical error. This is how you would start to degree a cam and prove timing mark accuracy.

Unless you added one, there won't be a bolt in the crank. If you have one, you can access it from under the car. I normally turn mine with the fan.

But when I first got the car, I threaded some long hex head screws into the damper holes where a puller would attach. Then I used a pry bar between 2 of the shanks to rotate the engine. You can carefully insert a small wad of toilet paper or paper towel into the spark plug hole. As you rotate the crank the compression will blow it out, then turn it to TDC.

if you pull all your spark plugs, you can usually turn the motor tugging on the fan belt. TDC Down and dirty: Stick a screwdriver in the #1 hole and gently find a place where it will pry in there cocked in hole and cylinder wall. Turn fan until crank turns piston up into screwdriver (youll feel it). Mark damper at 0 now turn crank in opposite direction until it hits again, mark again at 0 (2 marks now). remove screwdriver and straddle tab 0 with your marks, there is the real TDC. Mark with a line from the hub on out through the ring so you can see if it shifts again. remove old lines for clarification.

-
Back