Finding correct gasket for aluminum valve covers.

-

LovetheA's

Reaction score
I have upgraded to aluminum valve covers to make room for roller rockers with a geometry kit. The OEM valve covers don’t fit. I have a pic of the new valve cover with a thicker type cork gasket under it. I’m just concerned that because the eddy head is flush and the base of valve cover is flush as well. It doesn’t have a lip like the OEM valve cover which goes over the cast heads. Should these thicker cork gaskets work or should I buy a specific type for this application?

60E087A7-A666-4180-90C8-B78307698A23.jpeg

Generally the steel and rubber overlay gaskets work best in this instance, and are reusable to boot. Edelbrock has some for $20 and Moroso's are pricier but highly rated. I think for a single use I'd spray those with some K-W or Fel-Pro copper coat gasket sealer, let it set up tacky, and run them until it was time to pull the covers off for routine maintenance.

Generally the steel and rubber overlay gaskets work best in this instance, and are reusable to boot. Edelbrock has some for $20 and Moroso's are pricier but highly rated. I think for a single use I'd spray those with some K-W or Fel-Pro copper coat gasket sealer, let it set up tacky, and run them until it was time to pull the covers off for routine maintenance.

Yours don`t look like raised port heads. Mine are, and the #1-2 header tubes get the rubber gaskets too hot and do them in after a little while. Hughs engines have some hi heat gaskets that are hanging in there .

Use Magnum gaskets before the corks start seeping oil all over all that sparkling new aluminum.:D
They have 10 bolt holes but you can fill the unused ones with RTV.
They are silicone over a steel core, and are reusable.

-
Back