Finished building my Slant Six...time to start on a real one now

-

mey6t6

Reaction score
My wife got this for me for Christmas off eBay, never been built before, and I just finished putting it together. The wife says nobody can depreciate an antique faster than me...anyway just wanted to show off my new toy (i even got it to run!!)

Thats awesome. I have been lookin at them on Ebay but usually go for more than my wallet allows. Nice to see you put it together, I'd do the same.

That looks like a good project.
I will have to look into this, and find a cost and where to find one.
Thanks for sharing.

She lucked out with the model...the seller had the opening bid set at $100. Two more models were listed after that one with starting bids at $5 and $10. She checked the completed listings, saw that none of them go for less than $100, so she threw a bid on that one. Everybody else went for the models that had the lower starting bid. Since the one she bid on went off first, nobody was real interested in it. Some newbie thought he would snip it at the last minute but he waited too long and couldn't find her max bid so she got it for $150. That one had been opened but never put together. The first one to go off after ours was one that was still sealed in it's box. It sold for $600. The one after that had pieces missing and still sold for $250. I'm sure they sold so well because it was right before Christmas.

What good are models if you don't build them? My wife was teasing me about depreciating antiques because a few months ago, I had bought a working stock radio for my '66 cuda. When I went to install it, I discovered that the hole had been enlarged for the more modern radio that was in it. So...I took the guts out of the radio and shortened it to reduce the weight. I went to a couple of shows last summer that made me go into the mod class just because my radio wasn't stock.

66barracuda37ws5.jpg

I had one of those just "a few" years back when I was young. I also had a Visible V-8 which was a small block Chevy. I don't know whatever happened to them but I have looked longingly at the E-bay auctions for models like yours but haven't been able to justify an actual purchase yet. I think my addiction to crankshafts, pistons, motor oil etc. may have been initiated by exposure to that model!
What a cool Christmas gift!!

-
Back