Fire destroyed Big 3 Racing shop

-
i'm subscribed to their youtube videos and watched it this morning. devastating to lose it all. glad nobody was hurt but sad to see everything destroyed.

That’s at least three shops on fire in the last few years.

Steve Schmidt lost his shop and I haven’t checked to see if he’s back up and running yet.

And Taylor Lastors shop went down to fire. IIRC they lost an engine on the dyno and the dyno room caught fire.

I think the Schmidt was electrical but I’m not 100% sure on that one.

I’m wondering if it was a lithium battery on a charger as there is a lot of that going on. My buddy had one of those power strips that we all use catch fire in his shop. He walked in after lunch and his wall was starting to burn. Luckily he caught it. A 5-7 power strip and the only thing plugged in at the time was his wall clock.

I’m wondering if it was a lithium battery on a charger as there is a lot of that going on. My buddy had one of those power strips that we all use catch fire in his shop. He walked in after lunch and his wall was starting to burn. Luckily he caught it. A 5-7 power strip and the only thing plugged in at the time was his wall clock.

That’s scary.

I turn the power breaker off when not in the shop, always. I don't leave the oil burner running when I'm not there. It doesn't take long to heat the shop.

One of the Millwrights I worked with moved in with a girl and a year later her horse burned down. The insurance company rushed them into making their lists of stuff they lost. Three months after the insurance company settled we were working and he said damn. I said what’s up. He forgot to claim all of his fishing stuff. Now imagine he only lived there for one year and it wasn’t his house. I’ve been here since 1984 and couldn’t start to remember everything.

This actually happened a few months ago. A number of expensive customer cars got destroyed inside the shop. Like 15 or more, don’t remember now, talked to him at the Mopar event at 42 first part of August. He had very good insurance.
He is going to reopen on the grounds of Dragway 42.

One of the Millwrights I worked with moved in with a girl and a year later her horse burned down. The insurance company rushed them into making their lists of stuff they lost. Three months after the insurance company settled we were working and he said damn. I said what’s up. He forgot to claim all of his fishing stuff. Now imagine he only lived there for one year and it wasn’t his house. I’ve been here since 1984 and couldn’t start to remember everything.
:poke: her "horse" burned down? Must have had a lot piled on top of that poor horse!

Sorry - I just had too @pittsburghracer

Mental Note: use your phone and video tape each room individually. If your house has an issue (knock on wood ya don’t) you have a video of all your stuff and condition for future reference.

Mental Note: use your phone and video tape each room individually. If your house has an issue (knock on wood ya don’t) you have a video of all your stuff and condition for future reference.
I remember when I first bought my house and set up home owners insurance they suggested I take a picture of each drawer of my tool box as well. Expanding on what others stated, imagine trying to remember each individual tool in each drawer. Seams easy right now, but I am not under stress or being pressured to remember everything on the spot.

Schmidt just lost the general automotive repair building, not the race shop. It's in a different building.

Tom

There must have been some engine stuff in that building somewhere because my buddy had a 635 back there for a freshen up and it was in the fire.

I need to call him and find out what the outcome was on his stuff. I know it was finished or close too it because it was off the dyno and they were changing a few things. Some little **** I think.

Or maybe they were getting ready to crate it for shipping. I forget.

I’ll text him tomorrow and see if if he has his engine back yet.

-
Back