Fire extinguisher

-

slowdown

Reaction score
So I haven’t been on here in awhile, but just came across a weird episode with my 68 dart. So my hi flow water pump swallowed the coil wire in the lower radiator hose wrapped it up and broke the seal so it stared leaking through the weep hole on the bottom of the pump. Replaced it with another hi flow pump but put on a lower hose that has the wire inside the rubber instead of a coil. All was good I finished up, and decided to spray off the 50/50 antifreeze that sprayed all over the motor and fenders to clean it up before I took it around the block to check things out. I came to a stop about a mile away, turned on the blinker to go right and smoke started to come out of the steering wheel. I immediately pulled over and shut it off and pulled off the center horn piece to see where this smoke was coming from. I haven’t taken the steering column apart yet. But have installed a battery shut off switch and decided to install a extinguisher in case this ever happens again. My thought is I got water on the bulk head and stuff happened. I’ve only fired it up to back it in and out of the garage to do some other things but nothing has happened since. I plan on pulling the steering column out and taking a look but as of the moment things seem to be ok and not smoking when I start it or turn on the blinkers. Now I just need to mount my fire extinguisher in a handy place.

Right ibn front of the drivers seat is a great spot they actually make a bracket for them. Do your self a favor get a CO2 ext, The chemical ones wreck havoc on the engine and paint when the chemical gets wet, and no it wont just blow off, trust me I learned the hard way.

Yes but seriously pricy. 180-250 for a five pounder. I had a bad fire in my dart the throttle cable rubbed through the wiring harness outside the junction block. Anyhow a 2 lb chemical ABC just put it out and I mean just. Blew it off first then had to pressure wash the rest. Hell man it ate the paint, pitted aluminum etc. Big PIA to get it back again, actually the carb was toast after that. I will never use one on a car again. I found a 5 lb CO2 (100) I think is the size for the car now. Glad I had something at least was just out for a test hit. I could not even imagine what a chemical one would do on a interior!

-
Back