Fire extinguisher

-
Interesting...From the video, it looks like you would have to get pretty close to the fire to put it out. I'm not a fire fighter but used to be involved in nuclear fire brigade training and some of these fires can get pretty darn hot. I'm curious if you could stand the heat long enough to put a fire out? Oh, another video... well it depends on the size of the fire I guess. It looks pretty cool.

When I wrecked my Daytona in 2010 being on my roof I couldn’t get out. Knowing fuel and transmission fluid were everywhere I had my hand on my Halon system. Being trained on Halon in the steel mill I knew halon removes oxygen from the air. It could have came down to burning up or suffocating. I knew which I would have picked.

When I first learned about them I bought 4. One for each car.

I (thankfully) haven't had to use one though, so I can't say I've tried one.

ANY extinguisher removes (displaces) air / oxygen. I would not want to be "the experiment" for that until it's undergone LOTS of testing.

That looks very compact & useful to have a few installed Both under the hood & inside the drivers area...... Besides the Striker activator method,. Slight redesign could allow any Abnormal heat/Fire (under hood of engine compartment, etc) to Automatically activate Without driver's input.....

Amazing......Looks more like a fire Starter road Flare with the Striker activator !!!

On Rethinking Drivers Area,....deff Don't use any Oxygen Displacement gas type extinguisher !! (I want to stay Consious )..... Maybe a Foam type is lots better for Confined humans ??

It's sure compact, isn't it? That's a plus. All I have is a small ABC extinguisher......or nowadays is that an LGBTQ?#$%&!!! extinguisher? Anyway I have one.

My new fire extinguisher arrived today. It will be in the car when I go racing tomorrow. Ordered yesterday came today. Thanks summit.

Anyone have more info on this? I need to update my extinguishers.
I'm not impressed, watching this video:

I have t3sted that brand. IMO you need the bigger of the two models to have a chance at being affective. Halon variants are okay however the deprive you from oxygen and one the cloud is dissipated your fire will be able to reignite.

That said I opted for a clean agent foam extinguisher. It won't eat the paint, foams and is a good size:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/LFL-201-100-003

I have t3sted that brand. IMO you need the bigger of the two models to have a chance at being affective. Halon variants are okay however the deprive you from oxygen and one the cloud is dissipated your fire will be able to reignite.

That said I opted for a clean agent foam extinguisher. It won't eat the paint, foams and is a good size:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/LFL-201-100-003

We used a lot of foam
In the steel mill and it does work great. With that said it does make a big mess and your race day would probably be over. I had Halon in my Daytona after seeing it demonstrated in the mill. That what our basements had under machinery

Clean agent foam is foam with Halon variant. It sprays off pretty wasily with water. Way essier to clean than a dry Chemical ABC style IMO.

ANY extinguisher removes (displaces) air / oxygen. I would not want to be "the experiment" for that until it's undergone LOTS of testing.
Foam does not, only in the space it occupies. Dry chemical interacts with the fire, but it is breathable and an irritant and partially toxic, but less so than the fire itself.

I know most of you guys have heard this but when I wrecked at Norwalk and slid a 1/2 mile on my roof I had my hand on my Halon system. I couldn’t get out of the car so if I caught fire I was pulling the Halon. I’d rather suffocate than burn to death. Luckily neither happened.

I know most of you guys have heard this but when I wrecked at Norwalk and slid a 1/2 mile on my roof I had my hand on my Halon system. I couldn’t get out of the car so if I caught fire I was pulling the Halon. I’d rather suffocate than burn to death. Luckily neither happened.
It takes approx 4 minutes for one to expire from lack of O2, fire can cause fatal injuries in mere seconds, and then takes hours to put your lights out for good.
The choice seems rather obvious to me.
I like Halon for its easy clean up and lack visual obstruction. Special K is best around fire agent for non EV cars but it pretty much ruins whatever you are trying to save, besides yourself.
I try to have access to both, so I can proportion my response.

Last edited:
It takes approx 4 minutes for one to expire from lack of O2, fire can cause fatal injuries in mere seconds, and then takes hours to put your lights out for good.
The choice seems rather obvious to me.
I like Halon for its easy clean up and lack visual obstruction. Special K is best around fire agent for non EV cars but it pretty much ruins whatever you are trying to save, besides yourself.
I try to have access to both, so I can proportion my response.

My understanding is that first responders have been negatively affected by Halon when attempting to remove the hood, driver, etc. I haven't tried to asphyxiate myself with Halon and hope to never require a test of the system.

What is Special K? Bath salts?

"Class K fire extinguishers use special extinguishing agents that separate and absorb the heat elements of the fire – the fuel, oxygen, and heat necessary to start a fire. The wet mist contains potassium acetate, potassium carbonate, or potassium citrate mixed with the cooking grease to create a blanket that will cool the flammable liquid and block oxygen, extinguishing the flames and preventing reignition"

I had the impression Halon is a rather rare left over fire agent no longer used mainly because of its severe ozone depletion characteristics, and getting them refilled is rather difficult and expensive, to the point they are only worth discussing if already owned and then become a one and done fire solution.
Halon is most effective in confined spaces, as in the outdoors or in any wind it is much less effective in displacing O2. It is not overly toxic beyond its O2 displacement properties.
Pick your Poison.

Last edited:
"Class K fire extinguishers use special extinguishing agents that separate and absorb the heat elements of the fire – the fuel, oxygen, and heat necessary to start a fire. The wet mist contains potassium acetate, potassium carbonate, or potassium citrate mixed with the cooking grease to create a blanket that will cool the flammable liquid and block oxygen, extinguishing the flames and preventing reignition"

I had the impression Halon is a rather rare left over fire agent no longer used mainly because of its severe ozone depletion characteristics, and getting them refilled is rather difficult and expensive, to the point they are only worth discussing if already owned and then become a one and done fire solution.
Halon is most effective in confined spaces, as in the outdoors or in any wind it is much less effective in displacing O2. It is not overly toxic beyond its O2 displacement properties.
Pick your Poison.

I typically see Halotron or FM-200 in use. Halon is no longer commonly used in my experience. When we say Halon we are referring to Halon replacements/alternatives.

Getting back to Element sticks, one of the interesting and cool features is that they are rated ABCK. The clean agent is only AB rated hence why I have one of each.

Last edited:
The link in post #1 has a Jay Leno video. The guy he interviews says the Element doesn't displace oxygen and it's not toxic. He doesn't use it on a fire in the Jay Leno vid. Hmmmm.
It sure doesn't appear to work very well in the video in post #14.

Years ago, my partner was driving through the pits, and people saw fire. We had a halon bottle, because we didn't want the corrosive results from powder. Everyone came running with powder bottles and sprayed them all over our engine before he could get out with the halon. We certainly appreciated the help, but our engine compartment was a mess.
We never considered the possibility of not getting the chance to use our bottle!

I used a powder bottle on a fire once. It stopped spraying just before the flame was out. The fire commenced.
I've heard that the powder can cake up in the bottom of powder bottles if you don't shake them periodically. Maybe that's why the powder stopped coming out? Who knows? My powder bottles always show a good charge. But so did the one that stopped spraying just before the fire was out.

I got two of those for my two driver cars. I'll get another one for the rest of them when they are road worthy. I like them, small, light, and easy to keep handy.

-
Back