Fire extinguisher

-
I like them, small, light, and easy to keep handy.
I like those aspects, too. But if they don't work, they're no help. Unfortunately, it would be expensive to test them.
I know it’s not the answer all but I bought four of these. One for my house shop car trailer and motorhome. Cheap investment to have around.

Emergency Fire Blanket
I may get a couple of those, too. I'm guessing you can tell when/if they're expired, or just plain no good anymore. I'll have to see.

Edit: The site says as long as it is in good condition, it'll work.

I like those aspects, too. But if they don't work, they're no help. Unfortunately, it would be expensive to test them.

I may get a couple of those, too. I'm guessing you can tell when/if they're expired, or just plain no good anymore. I'll have to see.

Edit: The site says as long as it is in good condition, it'll work.

Yes if they aren’t burnt they are still good. Should smother a fire pretty quickly

The link in post #1 has a Jay Leno video. The guy he interviews says the Element doesn't displace oxygen and it's not toxic. He doesn't use it on a fire in the Jay Leno vid. Hmmmm.
It sure doesn't appear to work very well in the video in post #14.

Years ago, my partner was driving through the pits, and people saw fire. We had a halon bottle, because we didn't want the corrosive results from powder. Everyone came running with powder bottles and sprayed them all over our engine before he could get out with the halon. We certainly appreciated the help, but our engine compartment was a mess.
We never considered the possibility of not getting the chance to use our bottle!

I used a powder bottle on a fire once. It stopped spraying just before the flame was out. The fire commenced.
I've heard that the powder can cake up in the bottom of powder bottles if you don't shake them periodically. Maybe that's why the powder stopped coming out? Who knows? My powder bottles always show a good charge. But so did the one that stopped spraying just before the fire was out.
Step number two of the preventative maintenance routine on a dry chemical fire extinguisher is to flip it upside down and whack it a few times with a mallet to loosen up the dry agent. Anyone that has ever had to do facility maintenance will know that one.

All good info.... I had a oil fire at start up of my Duster. My buddy put the fire out with a dry chemical extinguisher I had in the shop which is the same type I have in my car. That crap
went everywhere which made me wonder ....HUMMMM do I really want to set that thing off with the windows up??????? Great review for anyone.

-
Back