Firewall different on a 63 then the 64-66???

-

Dodgenut64

Reaction score
Oh man, i just noticed something, the firewall on a 63 dart looks different then the 64-66. It looks like the firewall behind the engine comes out into the enginebay abit. Am i seeing this wrong? :-|

I have read that there is some difference in the firewalls, mainly an issue with interference with a small blocks distributor if I remember correctly on the 63's.

Yes, the firewall is quite different. I would guess a small block wouldn't fit too well in a '63...although I have seen big blocks done that are fine since there's not a distributor issue.

There is a little hump in the wall, it can be tenderized with a 2x4 and hammer. Iv'e help whack one in.

then I'm not crazy. I guess a 63 ouner could just cut that secction out and weld in another flat piece. Also the rear windows are smaller on 63s.

when I first put the 360 in my '63 Dart I left the firewall stock and the distributor would just barely rub as the motor moved on the mounts. when i got chance i cut off the wiper motor bracket, ground it down a bit and then refitted it inside the car. then i beat the firewall in a bit to give more clearance.

the firewall's are quite different - a '64 up v8 gas pedal won't fit without modification either.

Yep, I used the hammer massaging method on my 63. Once I repainted the engine bay you could hardly tell since the distributor hides it all. It is a very tight fit. I know when I first dropped the engine in the distributor was out and would not go in until I did the massaging. Wipers still work too!!

-
Back