firewall to fender struts on later model Darts

-

str12-340

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I guess this is the right place for this.
I'm building a 70 dart and the car gets new paint. I know that the factory put struts under the hood that run from the firewall pinch weld to the front fender bolts on later Darts (73-76?). I presume that it was to stiffen things up front because of the 5 mile impact bumper weight??? Anyway I have a couple sets and was wondering if it was worth it to do some welding at the pinch weld so that there is an attachment point and put them on the 70 Dart to stiffen the front end. It's all getting worked and repainted anyway so if I'm going to do it now is the time.

I'm building a 70 dart and the car gets new paint. I know that the factory put struts under the hood that run from the firewall pinch weld to the front fender bolts on later Darts (73-76?). I presume that it was to stiffen things up front because of the 5 mile impact bumper weight??? Anyway I have a couple sets and was wondering if it was worth it to do some welding at the pinch weld so that there is an attachment point and put them on the 70 Dart to stiffen the front end. It's all getting worked and repainted anyway so if I'm going to do it now is the time.
I like the idea and always wanted to do that. There's a company that makes them for some mopars but I'm not sure if they can accommodate the 3 speed wiper set up and some air cleaners.

I made a set for my '68 convertible A-Body. I also welded in a bar that went across the engine from fender to fender. It eliminated the last remnant of cowl shake I could feel after installing the entire US Cartool Chassis Stiffening Kit. It definitely helps stiffen the car, and I only had to drill one hole at the rear engine compartment cowling pinch weld to mount it using the fender mounting bolts.

I removed it since I swapped out the Slant 6 and went with the 5.9 Magnum based motor, as the cross bar needs to be relocated slightly to clear the Magnum's A/C compressor. I still need to make that modification, so I can refit it. These 3 bars are sometimes referred to as Monte Carlo bars.

I always liked this idea, too- I figure the penny-pinchers would never have let Ma Mopar add them unless there was substantial justification for them. They're not really in the way, and at the worst you can always take them off; no harm, no foul... I say go for it.

I made a set for my '68 convertible A-Body. I also welded in a bar that went across the engine from fender to fender. It eliminated the last remnant of cowl shake I could feel after installing the entire US Cartool Chassis Stiffening Kit. It definitely helps stiffen the car, and I only had to drill one hole at the rear engine compartment cowling pinch weld to mount it using the fender mounting bolts.

I removed it since I swapped out the Slant 6 and went with the 5.9 Magnum based motor, as the cross bar needs to be relocated slightly to clear the Magnum's A/C compressor. I still need to make that modification, so I can refit it. These 3 bars are sometimes referred to as Monte Carlo bars.
Pics?

I think that started in 74, my 73 did not have the hole in the firewall for it. The factory ones probably didnt do a whole lot. What you really want to do is tie the two shock towers together.

I just added some from a 75 to my 72. It was already painted so I didn't weld or anything. I did flat out the inside edge of the brace on the firewall end to get more overlap surface area on the lip. Then instead of the #12 speed nuts I used 1/4-20 nuts and bolts for the firewall end.

20200402_161707.jpg

20200402_161712.jpg

20200402_161723.jpg

I would prefer using an adjustable system like this on all three support bars

th.jpg

I lost my hard drive with a lot of my pictures on it a few years ago. I'll take a picture of it laying in the engine compartment, so folks can see where I drilled the holes to mount it on the cowl & fenders.

The factory pieces are toys at best. I don't see how they can make one iota difference. Now, if you increase the size and fully triangulate it with a monte carlo bar connecting them out front, you'd have something.

I lost my hard drive with a lot of my pictures on it a few years ago. I'll take a picture of it laying in the engine compartment, so folks can see where I drilled the holes to mount it on the cowl & fenders.
Sorry to hear that. Been there myself.

There is a reason that the engineers convinced the bean counters to produce them. I'm sure there are a lot of better aftermarket ones out there but I had these just sitting there so why not use them.

Last edited:
There is a reason that the engineers convinced the bean counters to produce them. I'm sure there are a lot of better aftermarket ones out there but I had these just sitting there so why not use them.
ya can't beat free for sure

I just added some from a 75 to my 72. It was already painted so I didn't weld or anything. I did flat out the inside edge of the brace on the firewall end to get more overlap surface area on the lip. Then instead of the #12 speed nuts I used 1/4-20 nuts and bolts for the firewall end.

Could I convince you to take a couple of close up pics of the firewall end of your struts in place? THANK YOU!!!

Mike, here are the pics you asked about. It looks king of ugly, but it worked very well to reduce the last bit of cowl shake on rough roads.

As you can see, it no longer fits with the V8 and my air cleaner set-up, so I'm going to make a leaner version with 3 separate bars bolted to the same general areas. If anyone wants this for their slant 6 car, come pick it up in San Jose, CA.

20200617_113442.jpg

20200617_113450.jpg

20200617_113500.jpg

20200617_113642.jpg

-
Back