firing order help - please pardon my ignorance

-

jjj0923

Reaction score
ok - I just got my engine back together - had another member here build me a long block.

I ran cylinder one up the top of the compression stroke (driver's front cylinder, right?) and put the distributor in so it points to the #1 wire.

I want to make sure I have this right before I try and fire up the engine tonight.

is this correct?

thanks in advance.

Number one cylinder is on the left or drivers side. The left bank is 1,3,5,7, and the right bank is 2,4,6, and 8 front to back. Firing order is 1 8 4 3 6 5 7 2. HTH

looking down from the top, does the distributor contact rotate clockwise?

If it`s a small block, yes, rotation is clockwise. Big block, rotation is counterclockwise.

well duh. I'm sorry for even asking that question. I made my own rod last weekend and ran the oil pump off a drill and completely forgot that I knew the direction.

thanks again

Jeff

well duh. I'm sorry for even asking that question. I made my own rod last weekend and ran the oil pump off a drill and completely forgot that I knew the direction.

Chill - Give yourself a break here! Firing up a new engine can be quite stressful - there's a lot at stake and most of us don't have the coins to repeatedly go through the process due to simple human error. Take your time, get it right, and enjoy the fruits of your labor. Keep us posted and for Pete's sake ask if you're not sure...

:thumrigh:
Ray

Hate To Say,
Its The Same As A Small Block Chebby.

correct firing order
1st The guy that doesn't shower everyday.
2nd The guy that never buys his round of beer.
3rd The good looking guy (unless thats you) no, even if its you.
4th The guy that likes the girl you like.
5th The guy that the girl you like likes.
6th The girl that likes the girl you like (unless!!!!).

I like my women 18 to 43 not 65 to 72 Simple little saying ive used forever to remember this. shop teacher used it when i was 17, 33 years ago. funny how some things stick.

thanks for the replies. everything went well last night. distributor in - wires hooked up correctly. engine fired right up!!!

however my JUST REBUILT blower with new seals and bearings sounded like a rock crusher so it's coming back off and going back to the guy who rebuilt it tomorrow.

oh well ...

-
Back