First 360 build

-

soulessrider

Reaction score
I need some advise/options.
I have an 81 360 with .030 over pistons,stock crank,rods. With RPM heads. There are so many options out there i need help choosing the right intake,carb and cam. Keep in mind this motor will be for off road use in mud and climbing. I would like a some what lumpy cam:D
Any help would be appriciated

Well a lumpy cam comes with a price. Is this a manual or automatic transmission application? You will need torque right away (360 is an excellent sb choice). Comp makes the thumper cam which gives a rough/radical idle AND great off idle response. You will be limited to around 6k RPM with stock bottom so, Idle to 4800, or up to 2000-6000 cams are where you want shoot for. 280 duration should be your high limit. Shorter duration = low rpm high cylinder pressure = low end torque. Long duration = overlap+scavenging = high RPM Horsepower.

The intake operating range should closely match you cam profile. Shoot for a slightly higher RPM range, keeping the low end similar to the cam which will pay dividends with headers and free flowing or open exhaust.

The carb needs to Flow enough air for you RPM range. 650 CFM works great with a 360 running around 6000 RPM Carb brand is a personal choice. Race carbs offer more adjustability in the different circuits. Idle, cruise, power and all the various transition points. If you are running idle, WOT, idle, WOT and not worrying about highway driving then the carb choice is not as important as an all-around application.

Edlebrock RPM heads have a smaller combustion chamber size which will increase compression. Correct me if I'm wrong but around 10-10.5 depending on block work and head gasket. Should be an easy 400hp within 6000 rpm. If you have flow numbers for the heads that would help alot when selecting camshaft lift.

The important part when building any engine is to build it for the application. What fuel will you run- pump, Race? Setting up correct timing will make a world of difference in how much power you make. Dyno time cost money up front but pays for itself over and over each time you mash the LOUD pedal!

Don't just take my opinion as gospel either. do your own research. When I built my Brothers engine I spent 4 months several Hours a day reading text books, forums, cam/carb/intake manufacturer specs, magazine articles, etc... There are a lot of really experience and intelligent people on this forum (why I joined) who can offer "advice" on how to build an engine. But it is YOUR decision to make and you have to live with the results. I can give your contact info to my brother if you want real life testimonial from someone who "purpose" built an engine/driveline combo for his first Hotrod.

Most importantly Have Fun! You will not be disappointed when you put forth the effort and reap the results.

Very good info!!
Thanks for the info.. I don't know the cfm's for the heads but max lift is .600. How does one find that out?. The fuel will be regular since i don't want to deal with high compression and be restriced to high test fuel. As for the carb i want one that i can set and forget. I have been doing lots of home work for this build.

A set and forget carb would be a Edelbrock and I would use the Thunder series AVS style carb on top of a RPM intake. The cam, gears and converter all work together and depend on each other to be in harmony to work best.

Give us some more detail about what your doing.

You shouldn't concern yourself with a lumpy idle with an off road truck. What you want is to build all the bottom end torque possible for your combination.

RRR is right. Low end torque is what that thing needs.

Summitt,K6901 (basic stock 340 replacement cam and lifter kit.A little lopier,would prefer headers,check out Summit's Sum-K50052. Both will have a slight rump. The first one smoother,probably the best all around choice. Both cams,will melt the tires,tuned right.

Yes low end torque and mid would be ideal. The current gearing in the truck is 3.23 for now.. Down the line i would like to change them to 4.10... So now I have the intake(rpm airgap) carb(avs) as per rumblefish suggestion... I have looked at so many cam's, comp cams extreme energy(XE256H) for low torgue and mid range is what i have been looking at.. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about it? Would it be worth my time changing out the stock converter? Trans and transfer case will be after the engine is complete. I idea i have for this truck in 35" rubber that won't be underpowered turning the tires in 4 wheel drive high while climbing. or holding the peddle down powering through fields of mud.

A spring loaded needle and seat "Edelbrock Thunder Series" carb, not an AVS. The Thunder series is a AVS AFB hybred.

Hey guys. I am havving issues with the crank thrust I set it at .004 but after I am done tightening the mains it goes back to .0015.. are there any tricks to this?

Sounds tight,across the board. New bearings,old non machined crank?....

Summitt,K6901 (basic stock 340 replacement cam and lifter kit.A little lopier,would prefer headers,check out Summit's Sum-K50052. Both will have a slight rump. The first one smoother,probably the best all around choice. Both cams,will melt the tires,tuned right.

x16, listen to the man. Be sure to replace the valve guide seals and springs while your there.

Alright so i need some help with the type of headers that would give me the most gains if any!! .
The engine is back together. This is what i have..
Factory crank
.030 piston over
Edelbrock rpm performer heads with Rpm performer dual plane high rise intake.
The cam is comp cam extreme energy 218/224 @ .050 and lift @ .462/.470 on a 110 LSA. 5800rpm max
Matched up with the ultra pro magnum rockers 1.5
Msd ignition system 6al box plus dist & coil.

-
Back