first dart/track trip

-

17dartandbroke

Reaction score
This was my first ever trip with the dart, and was kind of dissapointed. It was about 85 degrees outside, and 70 % humidity. my vaccume advance on the distributor is broken so that was not hooked up. i also coudlnt find where the car wanted to shift.

Run 1 - i cut a perfect light, i dont know how, but i did

R/t - .000
60 - 2.114
330- 6.129
1/8-9.448
mph - 73.18
1000 - 12.418
1/4 - 14.919
mph - 89.92

Run 2
R/t - .165
60 - 2.123
330 - 6.156
1/8 - 9.558
mph - 72.20
1000 - 12.536
1/4 - 15.091
MPH - 87.92

Run 3
R/t -.033
60 - 2.112
330 - 6.124
1/8 - 9.492
MPH - 72.61
1000 - 12.437
1/4 - 14.946
MPH - 89.65

Run 4 - my dad still has the slip because he was proud of the 60'. I cut a decent light and had a 2.079 60'. I had 20 psi in the rear tires and i launched at 2600 rpms. That was my best run. My et was 14.876 and the mph was 90.76.

I ordred some 90/10 front shocks and an electric fan earlier this week. What should i be doing to get this car in the thirteens by the end of the year? It has a 340 weiand xcellerator intake, so i was thinking about putting and edelbrock performer for more torque/power because of the better matching ports. Any other ideas?

thanks,
daryl

Oh yeah, and specifics:

Car has size 68 jets in the carb. I cant find the right spring for the carb. When i put the lightest secondary spring it still doesnt bogg, so i put that one in. Timing is 18 deg. inital and 36 deg. total. I run 20 psi in the rear tires and 40 in the fronts. I shifted at 5,500, 5,000, and 4,500. I cross the end of the quarter at 4,500 rpms when i shift there.

I think those are pretty good times. The perf. intake may help you out of the hole. What gears are in it.

3.91 gears with a 28" tall tire. i have a 340 to build for the car,but not enough $$$ to build it yet. im just really undecided if i should put the intakem, a good mechanical advance distributor, and go in and advance the timing some on the 318 to try to get it in the 13's , or just wait a good while to build the 340. do you think that 13's would be feasible from this combo?

Do you still have the stock can in it ? I dont think the stock cam will really push the car much faster.

First off awesome R/T some people who race for years wish they could cut those. For the distributor I would contact Don at FBO he is on this board sometimes www.4secondsflat.com. He can curve dist. to your combo, and then once you get the 340 put in send it back with engine/car specs and have it recurved think he charges $25 for curving dist, and his entire ignition/dist system is plug and play. The cam since you plan to drop a 340 in someday might sound wierd. I would try a RV cam if you want to stay cheap, and not have to worry about raising comp. and doing alot of head work. That way you can save money for that 340. RV will give you good low end torque, but wont give you a whole lot on top which you wont need with a 318 anyway. When you call Don ask for some tips he has a 318 running low 11's. My recommendations would be that intake, 1 5/8" headers, FBO ignition, RV cam maybe sum-k3500 cost 85.00 summit cam grind is by Crane I believe, and I hope the carb is no bigger than a 650. Well good luck.

car has a .221 @ .050 cam, weiand xcellerator intake, holley 600 tuned up to the motor, mopar 175k stall, orange box, with good wires, and tti's to an x pipe through magnaflows all 2.5" pipe. cam was installed heads up in the motor, thats why i was considering going in to advance it.

trans has a manual vb. rear end has a brand new sure grip with 3.91's, and a 275/60-15. car also has monoleaf springs and a caltrac setup.

i will call that guy about the distributor though, and i guess that i will invest in that intake manifold. any other tips?

That intake might surprise you because the ports are matched up for 318 heads. I have one you could buy if you would like make me an offer was going to throw it on ebay, but it's yours if you want it. What is the actual cam make/model or just give cam specs. What is the stall on the convertor? Just give everyone a complete rundown on your cars specs from Carb to rear end, so everyone can give you the needed advice make sure you give a price range. Hopefully some more people will come here and try to help you out. Oh yeah you may be able to use the X-cellerator on your 340.

Well from what people tell me,my 318 should be kinda close to your time,i still dont belive them but what ever!my car isnt to far off from what u hav at all,but im going to run 4.56's and a 3800 stall,that should give me a little edge over your car but not much,iv raced before i got all my goodies,a 72 Nova with a very nice built 350TH400,Moser 12 bolt an 56's,he beat me but half a car lenght,i wiped his *** off the line he hit 3rd befor me and crawled passed i hit 3rd and stuck with him for a good mile or 2,he has a time slip of 13.4,so if i can stick with him as good as i did before i got hard core into my rearend,trans,cam,intalk and carb,i dont see how your car wouldnt be to far off from mine :scratch: iv dont alot of work since that race,i used a b-body rear end with 3.91's,stock 904,and a crapy holley intake and holley 500 carb,i know for a fact that the combo that i hav now and am working on will kill my old set up by far! :salut:

complete rundown

Engine - stock 318 long block
Cam - isky 270 mega cam
2000-6200 rpm
.465 lift
108 deg lobe center
270 adv duration
.221/.221 @ .050
Intake - weiand xcellerator (soon to be performer)
Carb - Holley 600.
I ran the lightest spring in the holley kit on my fastest run. Size 68 jets.
Ignition - Mopar orange ECU box, autolite 66 plugs, factory replacement mopar distributor without vaccume advance hooked up. Moroso 8 mm wires.
Headers - tti ceramic step headers
Exhaust - reducers to 2.5", to an x pipe, to dual magnaflows and turndowns.
Transmission - mp 175K converter (i can get it to stalled to 2,600). reverse pattern manual vb. turbo action cheeta scs shifter.
Rear end - 3.91 clutch sure grip - 8.75 housing.
Rear suspension - monoleaf springs with caltracs.
Tires - 275/60 - 15 in the back, and some skinny little ones in the front.
Timing - 16 deg inital and 36 deg total

just tell me if i forgot anything, and thanks for the help guys.

I say get some head work done, and maybe that intake for cheap. Use the rest of that money on a good convertor for your future build. Also it doesn't hurt to have the dist. you have now curved then just have it recurved for the future build doesn't hurt to buy interchangeable parts for that future 11sec car. Hopefully you can get it into the 13 sec range, because even then you may have one of the fastest cars at your school good luck.

The intake is holding you back. The X-celerator would run good on a 340 (I still have one I ran on a 340 Dart) but the port mismatch with your heads is bad. The performer (RPM?) will definately run better. If you're planning on running a 340 later on, I would get an MSD Distributor and control box (6AL). When you get your 340 done you can transfer it to that engine. You'll be surprised what the intake/ignition changes will do for the performance of your car.

I would also get rid of the MP orange box. I bought the FBO kit from don, his box, cap, rotor, coil and balast. What a difference it makes and it plugs into existing plugs, no wire splicing. My orange box was retarding the timming at 3000rpm, from 36 down to 28 degrees. It starts easier and idles better, not to mention runs alot better. I could only get 13.4@101 at the track. I changed carb and intake before I found my ignition box was junk.

thanks for all of the replies guys. so, how does this sound for trying to get that e/t down:

1)i already have the 90/10's and electric fan to install, so i will do that first
2)Performer Intake that i will be buying from jason 69r
3) msd distributor and box

sounds like a plan?

That sounds like a real good start :thumrigh: If you need a MSD 6AL I got a couple extras, but theres a guy on ebay every now and then that has the Mopar Performance MSD 6AL for $125. Thats cheap because they're normally $175 on ebay.

will do guys, thanks a lot. i will be updating as i install each mod to tell you guys how its running.

thanks again,
daryl

-
Back