First drive of the year.

-

AdamR

Big Member
Reaction score
Got the car all cleaned up this morning, charged up the battery and it started right up.

It felt good to drive it around the block. Neighbors gave me some odd looks though. The car is pulling hard to the left though. So I'll have to rip in to the front end soon. It also shook alot at first but I think that was just flat spot on the tires from sitting. I really dont like these bias ply's.

Here's my little helper checking everything out.

IM000474.jpg

IM000475.jpg

So to make the car alittle more enjoy able I'll go threw the suspension, put some radial on it and maybe switch to a 2.5" exhaust system with an X pipe.

Sounds like fun, except for the shake.
It probably was the tires from sitting causing that till they got warmed up.
What brakes are on the front?
Feel like the brakes were pulling, or something suspension?

Its got 10" drums on it but it felt like suspension making it pull. The lower control arm bushings are shot but I have another set of control arms with new bushings and some Adj. strut rods to replace the bent ones in the car.

fun to hear that you first trip of the year went god with no problems like my broken transmission!

there's always something to fix. If not - you're gonna fix something else...

Nice helper! But he needs a step. Or is he responsible for the undercar section? :lol:

You should sit the little guy in the engine bay with a big wrench in one hand and a big thumbs up from the other!

Well I went on a longer drive today. 13 Miles to the cars new garage. The first few minutes were scary. Cold bias ply tires, shacking front end, bad brakes and rubbing rear tires around every turn. But it ran good and pulls well in the mid range.

Tomarrow I'm going to check some things over and maybe take a gear oil bath. I also need to fix the basket ball hoop I backed in to in my mothers driveway. :eek:ops:

Not that I noticed. I was creeping back slow. I knew it was there. Its not the easiest garage to get in to. Manual steering doesnt help.

AdamR said:
Not that I noticed. I was creeping back slow. I knew it was there. Its not the easiest garage to get in to. Manual steering doesnt help.
Ahhh
You should try it with manual steering and a spool :lol:

Its a gravel driveway so that will give the spool alittle slippage :mrgreen:

I'll take a picture of the turn I have to make to get in this garage.

Actually got some work done to the car yesterday.

I pulled the back tires off, They were rubbing pretty bad on the drive to the garage the other night so I needed to try and make some extra room.
Maybe if they had more then 10lbs of air in them it wouldnt have been so bad. :mrgreen:

I beat the inner wheel well with my biggest hammer and added a thin spacer wic helped alot. I pumped the tires up to about 25lbs of air becuase the pump at the gas station doesnt tel you how much air you've got.

I also pulled the adj. pinion snubber off because it was to tall and preloading the suspension.

I also got around to wiring my oil press, water temp and volts guage. I tapped them in to the left over wires from the heater. Still need to hook the tach and fuel level up.

I was going to swap the rear but I either need to pick up a green bearing set or pick up the big bolt patern axles from BigEd and find a set of rims. I'll probably just get the bearings for now.

Be careful if you stick with the small pattern. The small studs are the weak link. I have seen A-bodies screw up the little studs more than anything else in the rear.

BBLM23 said:
Be careful if you stick with the small pattern. The small studs are the weak link. I have seen A-bodies screw up the little studs more than anything else in the rear.
I have 5 of them on my bench I can get pictures of from my Dart experience. Redrilled axles with 7/16" studs and a spacer = ugly situation

I'll keep an eye on them. I only need them for maybe a month of cruising till I change the tires. I'm going smaller this time.

Got the rest of the guages hooked up today. Line Locks wired up but not working. I think the brakes need a good bleeding. I also plumbed in the fuel pressure gauge

I tried to fix the hood hinge spring that popped off but I'll have to pul the fender to do it.

-
Back