First furniture business venture!

-

younggun2.0

Reaction score
Well I'm going to test the waters with trying to sell some of my home built furniture. It's going to be interesting as I get pretty attached to pieces I build. I found this slab of South African padauk wood. It's got an amazing story behind it and I purchased it with the intent of building a table out of it but I think I may be building this one for charity. The man I bought it from has had it for 38 yrs. he built a 50 ft sail boat in his younger years and this was one of the last pieces he had left over. He was going to build himself a table with it but his health had forced him to put it off. Drove 3 1/2 hrs including a ferry ride to meet him at his home and we spoke for nearly 2 hrs. Thought he was gonna shed a tear when I loaded it up. Here is the slab. It is 86" long and 25" wide and 1 7/8" thick with two live edges. Pictures don't do it justice ! It is absolutely gorgeous in person.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 299
COOL! That is a beautiful piece of wood. Let us see some of your finished projects as you go along.

Seeing what you've done I think you'll do great. Good luck and keep us posted.

Fantastic, hope you do well as your work is excellent. And that is one helluva piece of wood!

That is a beautiful slab, be sure and post up whatever you make from it.
C

I think you will do quite well once you find your market niche. My truck driving instructor once pointed out a small wood shop in Texas that made tables from the slabs of huge tree trunks. Each one was a unique creation and sold for around $900. They had a waiting list of wealthy customers lined up to buy each custom made table. The shop was about an hour from Dallas. Another plus is that they weren't rushed to produce the tables, since they were like works of art. That "waiting list" mystique probably helped drive up the price as well.

thanks for the kind words guys. here is the base i pretty much got done tonight.

now the dreaded task of cutting the wood slab. ughhhhhhh i really dont wanna do it.

Don't.

Play off of it's shape and maybe bevel some of the metal. You might consider putting some other angles in the base, other than a 90, to go with the curves and angles that are already on the wood.

Don't.

Play off of it's shape and maybe bevel some of the metal. You might consider putting some other angles in the base, other than a 90, to go with the curves and angles that are already on the wood.

Not going to rip it! Leaving the live edge. I just gotta cross cut it . It's 7ft long. Gonna cut portion off so can make end table.

got base done and powder coated. got the base attached to the top. just gotta finish sand the top and clear coat it.

Very nice!!! You've got an amazing talent ... and a future ensured to supply plenty of cash to work on your ride. It's a win/win for everyone!

It's a bacon table.

...and you got some scary lookin monkey toes too.

Did you change the base of the table? In the earlier pics it was a tripod base, and in the finished pics it's got f legs.

I like the 4 legs much better, especially on a rectangular table top. Far more balanced in both appearance and stability. Three legs work fine on a round table less than 30 inches in diameter.

Did you change the base of the table? In the earlier pics itwa s a tripod base, and in the finished pics it's got f legs. I like the 4 legs much better, especially on a rectangular table top. Far more balanced in both appearance and stability. Three legs work fine on a round table less than 30 inches in diameter.

yup! good eye. i liked the look of the three leg set up but it wasnt stable enough. i did cut it back and redo it into the four leg set up.

-
Back